GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning for an upcoming ride to Alaska.

I happened to notice that I could take Route 99, the Sea To Sky Highway, instead of the more eastward Trans-Canada Highway between Vancover and Cashe Creek. This reroute is 75 miles further but will allow me to visit Whistler (future site of the 2010 Winter Olympics).

For anyone familar with the Sea to Sky Highway, I would like to know what you think of the road and scenery on this route. Is it worth adding 75 miles to my trip to take this road?

Also if I take the Sea to Sky Highway, it will bring me out about 6 miles north of Cashe Creek. Is Cashe Creek worth backtracking to see.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The Sea To Sky highway has been greatly improved for the 2010 Olympics so you'll enjoy that ride. It's the ride from Whistler to Lillooet that will give you a challenge, it's called the Duffy Lake Road. The first turn on to it out of Pemberton is a very tight uphill hairpin and there's plenty more after that one but it's a spectacular ride. When we did it there was everthing from hyper fast crotch rockets to Harleys and Wings. The road rises to a plateau so there's more hairpins at the other end. make sure you're geared right going in to these things. I wasn't prepared for the first one and it was a bit of a fright. Here's another description http://www.members.shaw.ca/bjs1/duffy_lake_loop.htm We did the road both ways in a short day. What a ride!
Cliff

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
More, this should give you a taste of the road. :thumbup:
Cliff.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!! I'm sold!!! Well worth adding 75 miles onto my 15,000+ mile trip!

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
Thanks!!! I'm sold!!! Well worth adding 75 miles onto my 15,000+ mile trip!
I used to live there, and like Cliff says, this highway is a must. The southern half, Horseshoe Bay to Squamish, has spectacular views of the ocean and islands. I'd strongly recommend a stop in the village of Horseshoe Bay. It is beautiful. And having fish & chips at Troll's is also a must.

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I travel that road every year. By the time you get here the road should almost be finished. I agree trolls for breakfast, up the sea to sky highway and then to a little resturant in brackendale for a good english pub food and the the Duffy lake road to Lilloett. This road has deteriated the last few years and is not that great. The scenery makes up for it. There are lots of tight turns. it doesnot give you much time to see whistler and spend any time there.
give it a go and if you are around post a note and will see if we can get a ride together so long as it is a weekend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts