GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I got in a pretty good ride for a winter day in Arkansas with 268 miles of mostly twisty, curvy roads. The temps stayed in the low to mid 40s all day. I did see high 40s on the way home after I got back into the Arkansas River Valley. It would have helped if I had gotten to see the sun shine just a little. But with a thick blanket of clouds that was not going to happen.

My original purpose for getting out was an appointment with Horizon Trikes in Clarksville. They are the folks who do the paint work for Honda of Russellville. I had a scuff mark on my trunk that I caused a couple months ago and was hoping they could take care of it. My plan was to take off into the mountains if they didn’t have the bike too long. It took longer for the guy to get his stuff out and organized than to actually do the work. By 10:30 I was on my way!

Below is a map of the route for the day.

I usually try to mostly stay out of the Ozarks until mid to late February. If we have much in the way of snow events it is not unusual to find a lot of sand. And as you know that can really mess up your day. Since almost all of the snow stuff is going North I was hopeful to find the roads in pretty good shape. And that is exactly what I found. Even the switchbacks going South from Mt. Judea were clear.

This was one of those days that I probably would have stayed home if not for that appointment. As it turned out, I’m sure glad I didn’t.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Sounds like you had a great ride yesterday, and I bet you slept good last night. Too much time indoors gives us cabin fever, so its good to get out as often as possible. So far, it has been a mild winter here in Kentucky too, but difficult to predict, one week to the next.

Agree, this time of year roads can be especially treacherous. Yesterday I was out for about 200 miles, which included a backroad (US-421) near Frankfort Kentucky, that has some real nice twisties. As I was coming into a curve, I suddenly encountered about 100 yards of slick mud. It was at a turnout from a farmer's field and, apparently, a tractor had entered and exited there many times recently, strewing mud all over the road. It was lightly misting just enough to make the mud extra slick. Glad I was just tooling along. Had I been zooming through there, things may have turned out differently.

Reactions: Monk

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Monk my good buddy lived in Clarksville (RIP Bob) and when I would visit him he took me on that same route a couple of times. When he passed away his daughter sold his trike to Horizon Trikes. We would usually stop at Brown's Catfish in Russellville for their buffet.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Really feeling sorry for you for getting stuck having to ride such crooked, twisty and curvy roads. Must have been torture. I guess someone's got to do it though. Hope you didn't suffer much.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yeaaaaah. We had 17" of white stuff here last weekend. Lucky to get the tractor out, Wing ain't movin'. Glad you got a little ride in. Come on Spring!!!!

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob you know how to make us northern winter dwelling people cry.

Sorry, there is only one solution. Put it on a trailer and come down here for a visit!! :thumbup:

Reactions: revrunt
1 - 10 of 10 Posts