Option on Rollahome

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  KJ5IX 
#1 ·
Looking at ordring a Rollahome
What options do i really need or will i use
And will the goldwing handle it with two up:shrug:
all info will help Thanks

#2 ·
I just got mine in Oct, and love it. I got the wide bed model. Get Mud Flaps they keep a lot of crud off, and maybe chrome wheels. The carrier rack, is good for a cooler, or the box. I had made one for my Time Out, with both,box, and cooler, and moved it to the RH. Get the AC flap in case you might get an AC later. You can get two doors, but I cant remember if you can have it on either side,or just the right side????

Larry is great to work with. Tell him that George from Texas said HI...:doorag:

#4 ·
I had the Time Out for a year, and needed more storage, the SO has NO Concept of packing light :shock: It is the smallest packed away in the towing mode, and one of the largest setup, and all off the ground. But like mentioned if you set up or take down in the rain, stuff gets wet.

Packing wet isn't that big of a deal I have done it many, many times when tenting. I unpack and air out to dry when I return anyway.

I went to the Roll A home for the off ground, and storage, and ease of setup/take down.

The Aspen and Bunkhouse are good campers also, but I personally am not fond of the dressing room being on the ground. I know, I know it is made for that and is made of good strong material that is water proof etc;etc;etc!!, but when you step out of bed on a rainy morning, and the floor moves with the water running under it, or find that one thorn or rock that you missed during setup, it is a real eye opener!!! Another thing that I have witnessed was during the night the wind got up big time, and one of the bunkhouses stakes came loose, and the dressing room was flopping around until it was staked back down. Just my preference to have a solid floor, off the ground, even if it is only 4 or 5 inches.

:doorag:

#6 ·
I have tried several camp trailers, and have put lots of miles and nights on each. I have tried the QuikKamp, the Bunkhouse, and the Aspen Classic for at least two years each. Of those three, there are all about equal in style and quality. All have canvas covers over the tent, all have a dressing room floor that sits on the ground, all have queen beds, all have decent storage when closed, with decent access to that storage both open and closed. All tow well with a Goldwing. '

I now have a Rollahome king bed model. The advantages to me are the raised dressing room floor when open, the fiberglass cover when closed, the larger bed, the dual doors, and the access to storage. That was the only thing that I did not like about the Time Out - no convenient storage area. For my purposes, the Rollahome is a hands down winner, but it is marginally heavier than the others.

As far a options, I have had the enclosed room on one - so big you could park the bike inside and still have room for a bowling alley - but seldom used it. For options on the Rollahome, I have an awning that serves to cover a table in the rain or shade in the sun, it has the two doors (one each side), optional tires (5.60R12 radials instead of the bias 4.80 X 12) and the flap to get to the cooler in the front. There is also the AC vent in the rear, but I have not used it yet. And part of the stuff that stays inside the storage area is a Portapottie, a fold up shower enclosure (bathroom), cooler on the tongue, propane tank on the tongue, and a small Honda generator (lights, electric blanket, AC power), and a small air conditioner. When Carol is not with me, I have another cargo trailer I just put a mattress and sleeping bag into, with a one burner Coleman for coffee.

Like I said, after trying several, I find the Rollahome a hands down winner in the comfort area. And dragging it around with a Goldwing is pretty simple, just remember its there, and do not tailgate.

A friend looked at mine, and bought a queen bed model. Together, we drug those two trailers over 6000 miles in October,
to a trike get together in Kerrville Texas, and they pulled just fine behing a pair of trikes, also.

#7 ·
:lol:Thanks for the input and it because George and Harry is why I’m getting the Roll-a-Home
These two guy’s :bow: they seem to know a lot so what’s good enough for them is good enough for me, and I Like the idea that somebody else found out what works the best So I don’t have to find out the hard way

Harry how much weight on the hitch with all the stuff?
Thanks for the help:coffee1:

#8 ·
Don't know about Geroge, but I have about 40 pounds on mine. I have a lot of junque on the tongue of the trailelr, but I load the heavy stuff in the rear of the trailer to counter balance the load. The Portapottie, the generator and the AC unit is in the very back. Front had the spare sleeping bag and pillows.

Thats with a full cooler, and the cooler goes down pretty fast while camping. Carol, at a rippin' 120 pounds eats like a bird - twice her weight every day.....:eat2: :trike:

#9 ·
Right now my tongue is a little heavy, but my junk trunk goes all the way to the ball :shock:. I have to do a little rework on that., and it is basically empty in the storage too right now. I pack like Harry, heavy in the rear to off set the tongue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.