GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2006 GL1800 ..... I switched from Honda's GN-4 to Niaki/Gold 10-40 Synthetic blend motor oil. I seem to be experiencing smoother shifting, especially coming out of first gear into second. The clunk is less noticable. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Either your hearing is going bad or your radio is up louder than normal!!!!!!
After an oil change the shifting will seem smoother for a while, I have used everything from Castrol car oil to fully synthetic and noticed no real big differences.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
All in your head?

It's in everybody's head!

If it gets too loud, make sure to use the tinfoil helmet liner.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It is true the shifting always gets better right after an oil change.

However, in my experience, and I'm OCD about it, the synthetic stays smoother longer.

I never wait until 8K to change my oil. I change it when my shift foot tells me it's time to change. I get about 3500 - 4000 out of the synth and about 2700 - 3000 from the dyno oil before my foot insists on my changing it.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I change my Honda full synth (Idemitsu) 10W-30 at 8k, just like the manual recommends... no shifting issues at all AND it's always very smooth, new oil or at 8k! :thumbup:

It is true the shifting always gets better right after an oil change.

However, in my experience, and I'm OCD about it, the synthetic stays smoother longer.

I never wait until 8K to change my oil. I change it when my shift foot tells me it's time to change. I get about 3500 - 4000 out of the synth and about 2700 - 3000 from the dyno oil before my foot insists on my changing it.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I never believed that oil could make that much difference and I've really never noticed one oil provided better shifting than another. However, I did notice that Mobile synthetic racing oil made my wing shift badly so anything's possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts