GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered Kuryakyn handlebar risers and their instructions look fairly straight forward but I'm a little leery about yanking off the switch cover and meter panel cladding to get to the bars since the owner's manual doesn't cover either. Any sites out there that show how to get the necessary covers off to add risers :?:

·
Registered
289 Posts
It is in the manual. First snap off the surround At the key. This will reveil two screws. Remove the two screws and the rest of the cover snaps off. Then you will see four screws that hold the speaker panel. Remove these screws. The hard part is getting the tweaters unpluged and plugged back up.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Quick Quick order yourself a set of Fred Harmon's DVD's. It is well worth the money.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Actually you can disreguard both of them! On the 06 there are NO screws. you lift the rear below the key until it lets go, then unplug the wires by the switch, lift it up & unplug the speaker wires & remove the cover. From here you can add the risers!

Good luck, Larry :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PBear said:
Actually you can disreguard both of them! On the 06 there are NO screws. you lift the rear below the key until it lets go, then unplug the wires by the switch, lift it up & unplug the speaker wires & remove the cover. From here you can add the risers!

Good luck, Larry :wink:
Thanks Larry.....since the '05 is different from the '06 I have found some bad input which is why I need correct info.....thanks,

·
Registered
289 Posts
That is really funny. I have an 06 and I have installed the risers on it and it did come apart just as I stated above.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Joey Downs said:
That is really funny. I have an 06 and I have installed the risers on it and it did come apart just as I stated above.
No screws, bolts, or plastic rivets have to be removed to remove the meter panel cover. The screws under the switch garnish have nothing to do with removing the cover. The cover just pulls up and back. Then unplug the tweeters and harness in front of the key switch.

Then you need to get the gauges out of your way. Remove four 8mm headed bolts for that. The combination meter can then be lifted out of the way to install the risers. I didn't know what you were calling the "speaker panel" since the main speakers don't get moved and the tweeters come out with the cover.

Take care.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Then unplug the tweeters and harness in front of the key switch

I could not figure out how to unhook the connector that goes to the heated grips and display buttons.

Richard

·
Registered
203 Posts
which side of the switch do you press down on. go in from the left or right. Had mine off Thursday to install a CB and never could get this connector open. Thanks Richard

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Cherokee32N said:
which side of the switch do you press down on. go in from the left or right. Thanks Richard
To unplug the harness in frt of the switch you reach in and under from the right side. If you remove the switch garnish you can shine a light in and see what you are doing. Push down on the back side of the connector. It will be aimed toward the front of the bike. It doesn't pull apart that easily even after you have it released.

FYI...
Before you try to release the wiring, release the meter cover first.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
to remove that connector in front of the switch I've found that
from the LEFT side
use a long handle very thin blade flat screwdriver
gently insert it under the thin part of the clip
(you'll be separating the little clip from the main housing, just a tiny bit)
the screwdriver will stay there
walk around to the right side of the bike
grasp the main part of the connector and wiggle it apart.
go back to the left side and retrieve your screw driver before it falls into the bike.

works for me,
Dennis

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put on my risers Saturday morning and disconnecting the speakers and ignition connectors almost cost me my religion! I fought those damn connectors for at least an hour and almost destroyed one of the speaker connectors with pliers before blindly unscrewing the speakers with a one inch long screwdriver and dropping them out so I could see how the connector attached. I had just as much trouble with the ignition connector with no room for my hands and no clue as to how the connector release functioned. The problem is that there's no room for big hands and you can't see the part of the connectors that have to be depressed. I bought the shop manual and it doesn't show how to disconnect wires, only says "disconnect the speaker wires", etc. The good news is that the risers are now on and I love them. I installed them to give me one inch up, one inch in, and two inches back and for the first time ever I am comfortable with slightly bent elbows in a relaxed position. My wife and I rode a hundred miles Saturday afternoon and I'm happy to report I had no back pain whatsoever. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts