GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody is thinking about ordering an Espacade trailer, now is the time.

I went to the Honda dealer yesterday to price a new Escapade and I ended up ordering one. They are having a year end special that lasts until Jan.1. Right now you can get the rear spoiler and brake light free ($330.00). The dealer said it was a promo for the dealer so they would order some for stock, but he would pass it on to the buyer also. He also stated it would take two to three months for delivery which in my case is perfect.

My son told me last nite that I would now have the biggest pumpkin on the road :)

He did price straight from the price list without any deviation, but gave me some more off if I would come and get it in the crate and assemble myself.

Usual disclaimers apply. Remember this offer is over Jan. 1,2004.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ross,

If you ever get to Colorado, give me a call. We can start our own pumpkin patch!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'd love to have a new trailer that matches the bike in style a little closer, but I don't want the payment that would go with. I finally own my '03 outright, the trailer is old, but paid for. I guess I'll have to wait for a while. Could I be so rude to ask what a new, color matched (yellow), Escapade sells for?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Duane, I bought my Escapade used, so I really can't answer your question.

Retail cost depends on your choice of options and how hungry your dealer is this time of year. Many are overstocked on discontinued colors, and may be anxious to get them off their high interest floor plan.

Check out the price list at: http://californiasidecar.com/trailers_elite.htm
(Approximately $2500 to $4590)

Another excellent trailer is the Bushtec Quantum GL. I've not found any vendor as willing to help me, and they seem to hold their value better than most. :D

http://www.bushtec.com/quantumgl.html
(Call them for a price. You might be pleasantly surprised)

If a change in style is out of your budget, consider painting your existing trailer to match your wing. A fresh coat of paint might do wonders.

Good luck & ride safely! :wink:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diavalos,

Thanks for the invite. We were there last summer and I must say you live in some beautiful country. We would like to make the trip again when we would have more time. I am sure we did not get to see everything.

This summer I think we are going to try and make it to Maine.

Thanks for the picture. I was wondering just how it would all look, hooked together.

Duane,

I traded in a 02 Starlight trailer and gave $2543. difference. I had purchased the Starlight when I had my GL1200. I felt it was a good trade consedering what I had in the other trailer. That price included IN sales tax 6% and shipping and freight. One thing for sure is that a good deal is made when the buyer and seller are both happy.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob

Would you tell me what kind of tent you have? I assume since you are from Fla. it has seen some rain. How does it do for that? That kind of looks like what I am looking for. Is it free standing if and when I might want to use it that way?Also I would like to know how you can haul so much? I guess when I get the new trailer it will make some difference. I have added 5 more cu. ft. than what I had with the other trailer. We use a queen size air mattress that is real comfy and does not take up much room to pack.

Your camping pictures were nice to look at.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Here is a link for the tent.
http://www.pahaque.com/
We love it. Tons of room head room galor and a large door. good ventalation and totally dry in the 3 times we have been in the rain.
It is free standing but they recomend adding stakes and guyropes in wind over 10.
Carefull packing and we fit it all in. The trailer we bought did not have the cooler rack so I built one. That makes a big differance.
We also have an inflateable Queen bed and matteress.
We carry large rugs for in the tent.
The chairs are
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/ca ... rchResults
They are great.
The Propane colman stove is the one with a grill on one side and works better than I ever thought it would.
We carry fire logs also (Walmart) Find it a lot easier than hunting for wood and starting it. One small log gets the fire going and with a little gathered wood holds the fire into the night.
The main draw back is the price of the tent. $499 expensive but in our eyes so worth it.
TR

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bob, Now for the obvious question. How difficult and how long does it take two people to set this tent up? Alot of our usage for a tent involves setting it up after a long days ride and then dissassembly the next morning to repack and take off again. the tent we are currently using takes all of two people to set up. My wife has short arms and sometimes I have to get a third person to help. This year we are planning a trip that will just be her and myself. I have to make sure that just her and I will be able to accomplish this without much difficulty.

Thanks again, Ross

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ross, A word of WARNING about the Escapade. I am now pulling a 2000, purchased in Spring of 2001. I also owned a 1996 one before buying this one. Both were very nice when purchased- one new, the other slightly used. I had a BRA for each. I made the mistake (on both believe it or not) of leaving the bra on it while they were parked INSIDE my garage over the winter. They were clean when put away. On BOTH (looks like I would have learned the first time), there were dozens of tiny bubbles appeared underneath the paint of the front of the trailer that was covered by the BRA. It looks as if the trailer has a rash. On the 1996 the folks at the factory blew me off, even making it extremely difficult for me to get the paint formula to repair it. I didn't even bother contacting them about the one I have now. A case of a decent product except the paint, but absolutely no customer care. It's a very good trailer, just DO NOT leave the bra on unless you are pulling.
jerry

·
Registered
652 Posts
My wife is also short.
It takes about 10 minuits, 15 max with a cold one in one hand.
We at first had a problem bending the aluminum poles at the corners.
Talked to the manufacturer and they sent us new poles overnight with no charge. Great people.
It takes a few times to find the key. Easy on grass and a little tricky on sand.
You do need 2 people but not 3
My wife now just holds one corner while I do the rest.
We always said if we got tired we would just go to a motel but now the discomfort of a confining motel is out.
We love this tent.
TR

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jerry, Thanks for the tip. I will be sure and watch it. I will also tell a couple friends about what you stated so it hopefully will not happen to them.

Ross

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
paint

What difference does it make if the paint under the bra goes funky?
I never use my trailer braless anyway.
JD
2001 yellow abs
2001 bushtec/quantum :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought an Escapade Elite trailer in the spring of 2002 and have been very happy with it. Have probably pulled it 10,000 miles and had no problems at all. have only had the bra off for cleaning and don't have any paint problem?? :sw1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts