GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to be heading for the wash. oregon ,calf ,coast in about three to four weeks wondering about the weather things to see camping ect.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You will enjoy it. Nice roads. Oregon and Northern Caly is hilly and twisty.

The entire coastal highway is other than Utah the prettiest and most scenic place I have seen.

Weather, be ready for anything, it likes to rain sometimes, can get windy, and cool down early in the day quite a bit.

Can get foggy too sometimes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Camping in State parks usually requires reservations as they are very nice and very used. But there are lots of them so if you look around you might find a spot.

There is a fault line just South of Cape Foulweather that makes for a very rough spot in the road. Watch for it when you get to the bottom on the South side. There is often road repair work going on there.

It's a great ride down the coast but as Kit said, the weather is whatever it is. Just like in BC.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:thumbup:well looks like were leaveing on friday. hOPE THE WEATHER IS GOOD.:yes1::yes1:

·
Registered
467 Posts
We only got as far south as Florence Oregon last year and one of our highlights was a tour of the dunes on the slower buggy. Here's the company's site http://www.sandland.com/ Cannon Beach was also a nice place to stay. Cliff.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
takeing the laptop so will be able to chek in here to see if more ideas showup so keep them coming. will be camping with the bunkhouse.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know how much time you have but here is what I would do from South to North.

• Redwoods National Park
  • Oregon caves
  • Crater Lake
  • Southern half of the Oregon coast highway
  • Aircraft museum at Tillamook (sp?)
  • Mt St Helens
  • Mt Rainier National Park (Drive around the mountain - must see Paradise, Box Canyon, Narada Falls)
  • Olympic National Park
  • Hurricane Ridge
  • North Cascades Highway (20)
If you still have more time

I'm sure that is more than enough.

Have a great ride

Bill

·
Registered
353 Posts
going to be heading for the wash. oregon ,calf ,coast in about three to four weeks wondering about the weather things to see camping ect.
Check out my website (click on the Bike below), click on the Trailer for West Coast ideas and click on the Eagle for photos…Western US & Redwoods 2004.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know how much time you have but here is what I would do from South to North.

• Redwoods National Park
  • Oregon caves
  • Crater Lake
  • Southern half of the Oregon coast highway
  • Aircraft museum at Tillamook (sp?)
  • Mt St Helens
  • Mt Rainier National Park (Drive around the mountain - must see Paradise, Box Canyon, Narada Falls)
  • Olympic National Park
  • Hurricane Ridge
  • North Cascades Highway (20)
If you still have more time

I'm sure that is more than enough.

Have a great ride

Bill
going to start with Highway 20 in about 4 hours

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
were in Quinault wash. now

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is there a good place to buy tires on 101.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tire

Might try Honda World, Coos Bay. 800-634-1054; 541-888-5588
Gary,parts manager might deal if you have a price to offer. Good luck

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:thumbup:THANKS jOHN GOT A FRONT IN TILLAMOOK AND PICKING A REAR IN COO BAY TO DAY . BOY THE SURE AINT CHEAP HERE. SPOSE I SHOULD OF PUT THEM ON AT HOME BUT THOUGHT THE WOOD BE CHEAPER HERE.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tires

They seem to know when they have you by the short ones. I got caught in Arkansas a couple of years ago; but was just glad to get one.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:excited:Live and learn .HAVEING A GOOD TIME SURE LOTS TO SEE SPENDING ONE MORE DAY IN CRESCENT CITY THE OFF TO CRATERLAKE.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds like you are having a great ride. Hope the weather is treating you well. How about some road tales and photos?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:clap2::clap2:trip is going great only not enough time to much to see red woods great neecded more time there. crater lake super mount st helens fog in but bought the vidio. In Yakima wash tonight. thanks every one for the input. :yes1::yes1::yes1:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts