GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out tomorrow for the Oregon coast and down into Northern California over the next 10 days. Weather is looking pretty decent. Not really looking forward to I-80 through Wyoming or Nevada on the way back but oh well, everything else should be a good time.

Marty

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Don't take I-80 on the way back, take US50 across Nevada, lots prettier!! From Eureka take 299 to Redding, 44/89 to Susanville and Reno. 395 south to US 50 east to Baker, Nv then 487/21 to Beaver, UT then hop on I-15 to UT 20 over to US89 to Panguitch and then 12 past Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef NP's, Ut24 to Hanksville, Ut95 to Blanding, 191 north to 128 to I-70 to Grand Junction,Colorado. Take I-70 to Co.65 over Grand Mesa to 92, make a left turn and take 92 back to US50(stop at Pioneer Point, walk 100 yds both ways from the point!!) then take 50 east back to Kansas.

·
Banned
792 Posts
It is my understanding that the 299 is massive road construction. The 36 may be a better route over to the 89 and work your way south. The 36 is a great road as well. :yes1:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Thanks for the information. I was considering 50 on the way back after watching some youtube videos.

Marty

·
Registered
827 Posts
Don't take I-80 on the way back, take US50 across Nevada, lots prettier!! .
You do know this is called the loneliness road in America for a reason? I took it a few years back and it is true to its name cept for a couple of interesting dots along the way. I think there were only a couple of towns with gas stations along the way and one of them was closed but we made it to the next without a problem. Stop in Ely on the east side and look at the old train depot and if you dare the Brothel which is still in operation. It was a pony express route back when and I understand that ,still today, if you send a postcard from one end it will make it to the other end before you!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
If you do go through Susanville as suggested by Pooch and you are looking for a place to stay for the night, I can highly recommend the Apple Inn Motel. The Owner/Manager lives on-site and is very friendly and welcoming to motorcyclists. The place is obviously an older property, but it is extremely well maintained and very clean. I enjoyed my stay there in 2013 and would not hesitate to stay there again.

In town, there is the Lassen Ale Works at the Pioneer Saloon. Best Fish and Chips I ever ate and their craft beers are excellent.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pleae post many pictures so we can live vicariously through you :)
Have a great trip, I hope to see that part ofthe country some day

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
You do know this is called the loneliness road in America for a reason? I took it a few years back and it is true to its name cept for a couple of interesting dots along the way. I think there were only a couple of towns with gas stations along the way and one of them was closed but we made it to the next without a problem. Stop in Ely on the east side and look at the old train depot and if you dare the Brothel which is still in operation. It was a pony express route back when and I understand that ,still today, if you send a postcard from one end it will make it to the other end before you!
Myself, BobbyC, and Boy Scout rode 50 from Delta, Utah to Fallon, Nevada and met CAWING on Memorial Day weekend. Yes, the traffic gets pretty sparse in them thar parts, but is is a good ride and gas is not a problem. Lehman Caves in Great Basin N.P. is a nice little side trip near the Utah/Nevada border. On the 26th of June, wife and I will riding south on the coast from Newport to Coos Bay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information. Will do 50 on the way back. Rode Poudre Canyon yesterday. Man what a fun road. Got caught in a pretty good storm north of Walden. The rain wasn't bad but the 40mph crosswind made it entertaining. Headed for Boise today.

Marty

·
Registered
906 Posts
Was just over 299 about a week ago. There was only one place that had active construction, it was a stop light and maybe a five minute wait. If you want to do a ride through "Deliverance", take the Chism Trail Rd just past the stop light. It parallels 299 for about two miles. It is a slow road with some tight turns. It is the old 299.

Ride safe.
Joe in Redding

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts