GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried the Original Grip Buddies neoprene grip "wraps"?

I like a fatter grip but since my 2018 is my forst with grip heaters I don't want to go with the Kury grips. I think they would cut off too much heat.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have Shin Grips on my 2013 Goldwing, they are almost the same as Grip Puppies I have used in the past.
Here is a link, https://www.shop.shinhopples.com/category.sc?categoryId=103

Here in Central Florida I seldom need to use the grip heaters, but when I have used them the heat still gets through, but it does take longer to get through the foam rubber covers.

Reactions: 06winger

·
Registered
354 Posts
I found using grip puppies last year on a 8 day ride significantly reduced numbness in my right hand for all day pleasure riding. If I were to do any high speed runs or any cornering I would take them off. Did not like the fat grip in that type of riding. Hope this helps.
Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been using Grip Puppies for years and although they do take a little longer to heat up than without them, they still get up to temperature and are nice and warm, as was mentioned earlier. I use them because of my 4x large hands and wouldn't be without them. Keep them on your grips and enjoy!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the grip puppies and love them you can feel the heat from the grips just fine. They are pretty cheap and easy to install I think I paid like 11 bucks for two sets. I have small hands and never liked the feel of the small hard stock grips so my first mod on my 13 was grip puppies. I love them!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Chopin gave me a pair to trya few years ago. Didn't think I would like them but now I love them

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
I've had the ones BullDog at Shinhopples has for many years on my 2002 with unheated grips and almost immediately put a pair on my 2018. The heated grips work just fine with them for me.

prs

Reactions: kwthom and jgalfo

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have been using Grip Puppies for years and although they do take a little longer to heat up than without them, they still get up to temperature and are nice and warm, as was mentioned earlier. I use them because of my 4x large hands and wouldn't be without them. Keep them on your grips and enjoy!
Couldn't have said it better - me too!! :grin2:

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is a Difference...

Yes... have used Grip Buddies (not to be confused with Grip Puppies) for years.

They definitely add to the enjoyment of riding my 2018 Goldwing Tour and my 2016 FJR1300 ES. They add a little thickness to the grips but don't interfere with letting your heated grips work properly.

There is a difference between the "Puppies" and the "Buddies"... foam versus neoprene.

I would recommend the Grip Buddies!!!

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
The grip puppies from Shinhopples are great.
Plus you get to talk with Meesh when you order them.
If by some odd chance Bulldog answers the phone tell him you want to talk with Meesh, the boss.

www.shinhopples.com

·
Registered
194 Posts
I’ve used both! Started with Kuryakyn ISO grips in Black with the Throttle Boss, they are great! Comfortable and look Nice!!! Switched the the puppies because the ISO’s didn’t allow much heat. The puppies are comfortable (a little warm when it’s hot out, makes hands really sweat) but look like (Puppy) Poop! ?. They also didn’t heat that well and I had to use a plastic throttle boss thing! So, I’m going back to the ISO Grips with throttle Boss! (Considering adding the matching weights)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the Kuryakyn on my 1500 and really liked them. Tried the grip buddies on my 1800 and they made my hands ache. Will probably get a set of Kuryakyns.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I found ShinGrips (from Shinhopples) and Grip Puppies just a bit different.

Had Grip Puppies on my Vstrom and loved it. Than heard about Shinhopples (here) and ordered them....especially since they were quite a bit cheaper than Grip Puppies. The Shin quality was great...but they were a bit too thick for my liking. So I've installed Grip Puppies again and loved it.

Either is great....depending if you like a bit thinner or a bit thicker grips.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts

I like a fatter grip but since my 2018 is my forst with grip heaters I don't want to go with the Kury grips. I think they would cut off too much heat.

Thanks
I'm loving the grip Buddies. Heat up fast and even better they made a thicker pair for my large hands, only $12 more. Going from Harley thick grips on 1" bars to the 7/8 bar grips on my ST1300 was a Pain in the hands. I called and asked for the outside diameter of a thick 1" pair but the inside diameter of my normal 7/8 grips.
No wear and tear on my heated grips so I'm hoping they last twice as long.
I really recommend the Buddies over the puppies. Dave.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts

Thanks
I have used the Original Grip Buddies on my ST1300. The Honda grips are just too small, and required too much hand pressure to hold the throttle, causing hand numbness. The Grip Buddies eliminated those issues, completely. On my Goldwing, I'm using the Kuryakan grips for heated grips. When I've used the grip heaters I have had more than sufficient heat in temps. down to 30 degrees. I am not a fan of the Kuryakan grips. The quality isn't there, especially for the price they're charging.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I had the foam Grip Puppies until I got a set of Super Shark Smart Skin Grip Buddies.

More rubber to grab onto and you can move around with velcro strip.

Better in wet weather too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts