GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were in southern california last week . My stepson is in the USMC and was leaving on his second deployment. His home is in Hemet ca. We were coming from LAX. He said there is a closer route to get to his house from The 5. So he said hey dad take the ORTEGA highway exit and just stay on to Lake ELsinor. We did not know what we were in for !Man what a drive !!!!! All I could think of was my bike back in Indy in storage. MY Toyota avalon rental did it no justice. I was scaring my wife to death. I finally settled down when she reminded me that we had 4 wheels not 2. I have got to get Goldie out there and ride the curves. It would be well worth the ride to california. Saw a few bikes buzz by us. :bow: Prayers for my son, Lord willing he will be back in August. 81 degrees in Oceanside Saturday.!!! Came back to Indy temp 25 snow flurries,flat tire ,dead battery after 8 days in long term parking :wrong: proud parent of a Marine ,To all men and women in the armed services that make it possible for our freedom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride. If you want to have fun in the twisties, bail the 2 wheels and go take a Subaru WRX-STi out in them. Our bikes couldn't hold a candle to those things.

I need to get out of Ohio and hit some of these roads one day. uuuggghhhh I'm jealous of you guys (especially this time of year) when you get to ride the nice roads.

Thank your step-son for his service. Good luck to him!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
My wife and I were in southern california last week . My stepson is in the USMC and was leaving on his second deployment. His home is in Hemet ca. We were coming from LAX. He said there is a closer route to get to his house from The 5. So he said hey dad take the ORTEGA highway exit and just stay on to Lake ELsinor. We did not know what we were in for !Man what a drive !!!!! All I could think of was my bike back in Indy in storage. MY Toyota avalon rental did it no justice. I was scaring my wife to death. I finally settled down when she reminded me that we had 4 wheels not 2. I have got to get Goldie out there and ride the curves. It would be well worth the ride to california. Saw a few bikes buzz by us. :bow: Prayers for my son, Lord willing he will be back in August. 81 degrees in Oceanside Saturday.!!! Came back to Indy temp 25 snow flurries,flat tire ,dead battery after 8 days in long term parking :wrong: proud parent of a Marine ,To all men and women in the armed services that make it possible for our freedom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ortega is a great ride. It's finally almost done with all of the construction. Glad you got to enjoy a great stretch of road. Too bad you had twice as many wheels as you wanted.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I rode the Ortega highway in July 2007.

Tuesday was dedicated to visiting friends in Newport Beach, California. Leaving Barstow around 8 a m, we traveled west through Victorville, Apple Valley, San Bernardino and Riverside to Lake Elsinore then rode the Ortega highway west to San Juan Capistrano. The Ortega highway is quite curvy with some very scenic locations along the way. There was a small restaurant/diner on the hillside overlooking Lake Elsinore Valley. It was a fantastic view. The road is quite rough and in dire need of repair. We did see one road crew doing some construction on a very short stretch of the highway but it looked like just a patch job. From San Juan Capistrano we continued north on interstate 5 and 405 to visit our friends Jimmy and Elba in Newport Beach. It had been five years since our last visit and we were looking forward to seeing them again. Dave used to visit them frequently during work projects in the area. Later we returned to Barstow the direct route for another good dinner at Carrows then turned in for the night.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Well Ice,I hate to rain on your parade..But had you posted you were going to be in the area,I would of rode up and met you..I'd of loaned you my gear and my bike to play with..
To do the Ortega right,you need to do it both ways..

Now I've done the Ortega so many times,that it just doesn't do all that much for me anymore-To many rockets bring to many Leo's on the weekends..

Here is a map of Ortega http://www.pashnit.com/maps4/OrtegaHighwayMaps.htm
A video of the Ortega

Palomar Mountain is way better to scuff in new tires..I go up during the week.To many rockets on the hill on the weekends..Base is 2,000 ft.And the top is a nice climb to 6500 ft..

I know some real nice twistys that are just a little south..

BTW..Your stepson should of told you to hop on the 10 east from LAX to Banning,Then head up the Hill on 243 to Idyllwild ,Taking the 74 down into Hemet..Now that is a great road to play on (both way too),on two wheels or with a roof over your head..

Prayers for your stepson..

·
Registered
340 Posts
nice ride

yes it is a beautiful ride. If you come back and get into the Palm Springs area, we will take up Hwy 74. A nice twisty road. Not long but fun to ride.

dave

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I live about 6 miles North of the Ortega Hwy off ramp. We road it this last Saturday.... Construction is done!!!!! wopoo hooo, I wasnt on my Wing however... local rides call for the V rod... Temps in the 80's.... bitchin.....

·
Registered
883 Posts
Friday night at 7:15 PM a group of us left Carlsbad, Ca for a 1000 mile 24 hour ride (appropriately named the Up-Chuck 1000) My riding partner & I finished Sat. evening at 7:08 PM, averaging 42MPH.
Our route was between the I-10 & I-8 (North to South) & I-5 to hwy 86.
(East to West) Friday evening had a full moon & clear skies, & with very little worry of critters on the road it made for an awesome ride.

Although our route did not include the Ortega Hwy, we were on some of the best twisty roads in the US.

Thank your stepson for protecting our country so I am able to have the opportunity to partake in such an awesome ride.

Sleddog

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. You know I started to post, that I would be out there in the area. But got so caught up with everything pre travel I forgot. I certainly would have taken you up on your offer. We stayed off the right off the 5 in Oceanside. And yes we drove out to Hemet about 4 times on the great Highway 74. :thumbup: Saturday about 7;30 am Saw a group of 6 GOLDWINGS headed south on the 215. Gonna try a cross country hopefully this spring . Got a make a stop in Alma Colorado to visit a long time friend ,I keep saying I am gonna come visit.

06 GOLD GOLDWING EA

·
Registered
115 Posts
Up-Chuck 1000

Friday night at 7:15 PM a group of us left Carlsbad, Ca for a 1000 mile 24 hour ride (appropriately named the Up-Chuck 1000) My riding partner & I finished Sat. evening at 7:08 PM, averaging 42MPH.
Our route was between the I-10 & I-8 (North to South) & I-5 to hwy 86.
(East to West) Friday evening had a full moon & clear skies, & with very little worry of critters on the road it made for an awesome ride.

Although our route did not include the Ortega Hwy, we were on some of the best twisty roads in the US.

Thank your stepson for protecting our country so I am able to have the opportunity to partake in such an awesome ride.

Sleddog
Sleddog,

I really enjoyed riding with you for 1,020 miles of twisty fun. I am really fortunate I had you as a riding partner. I am so happy and proud we ended up finishers.

I will second what you said about Ortega. Ortega used to be a great road, but with the traffic, cops, squids, and harleys, I would not recommend it and would only ride it if I had to. ALL of the good roads in SD county are much better than Ortega.

Ortega might have been a great road 20 years ago, but for now, I would recommend better alternatives.

Doug

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Doug,

You are so right. In 1979 I used to ride my RD400 all over that. Form the lake to the freeway in less than half an hour. And we never had cars in the way.

In fact, the biggest problems we had back then was the cars parked near the bridge to jump in the river. Lots of drunk (but cute) girls in bikinis were distracting to say the least.

Since then they have cut down on the number of legal passing zones, adding a signal at Nicholes Institute, etc. The CHP LOVES to sit under a big oak tree just east of NI and watch people speeding to pass in the ONE passing zone on the highway. Stupid overloaded trucks, heading to the dump on the west side, don't follow the law and pull over. CHP doesn't care about writing them up when they can write up people who pass them.

Of course the stupid rice rocket riders didn't help either. They are very reckless on Ortega. Not as bad as Glendora Mountain Road, but pretty bad. A couple of them beat up a CHP about 6 or 7 years ago. You can bet that plays a part in the stepped up enforcement in the past few years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts