GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the final distribution of changes for the 2006 - 2017 bikes, I'd like to make an effort to be able to describe how to use OSM map data in the bikes' GPS. That's specifically what this thread will be for.

What is OSM data?

Read: openstreetmap.org main web page

...and: About openstreetmap

A nearby location, via the web-based version:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/33.0599/-111.4087

Now, in that huge thread in this sub-forum of 1800+ posts (too bad it can't be pruned a bit...) a few people have noted their use [or attempted use] of OSM map data on their Goldwings.

Yesterday afternoon, I built a ~1.7Gb gmapsupp.img with the June, 2019 OSM dataset of the lower 48 states. Of course, it takes downloading nearly 10Gb of data...and to process the file, my 6 core desktop machine chunked away at it for 20 minutes! If I did it right, I *think* it *should* be searchable.

My next task is to see what Basecamp shows when I replace my bike's gmapsupp.img file with this new file.

Stay tuned! :wink:

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same data...but, if you are in fact in Florida, and you're downloading & using:

https://download.geofabrik.de/north-america/us-south.html

...then your map data is mostly Dixie. :biker:

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Are you downloading all four/five files for the entire country?

Which version of GPS do you have?

Is your process documented, so others can replicate it?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

* Nope...turned out to be ~4.2Gb for the entire lower 48. A file naming convention was taking the four segments, compiling them, and only displaying the last compiled data segment, correlating to a quadrant of the data wanted. Fixed.

Where'd the files come from?

https://download.geofabrik.de/north-america.html

Either take the very top file (under commonly used formats) or...

scroll all the way to the bottom; you'll see "Special Sub Regions" I did not choose Pacific; the other four, I did.

* Yes, Basecamp is able to display the data. Now, a trick to use BC with the map data is to duplicate the bike's SD card onto an empty USB stick. All of it. Now, when you plug in the USB stick, then run BC, the BC sw thinks you've plugged in the GPS to the computer.

* So, the ~4.2Gb file, I moved onto the USB stick to play with it a bit. When it's cool in my garage (currently 107° outside...) early tomorrow morning, I'll put it on the bike & see what happens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I just download the US South file (gmapsupp.img) which is new the first of each month to my PC and then copy the file to my CF card on the bike. I have firmware version 5.1 on the bike Navi unit.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're looking to do a little better than that...

I think many would like, oh, the lower 48 to start with.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Not Sure !!!

Don't know who the Flacracker is but I don't think it's the Fla Cracker (Gary) we all know and love.

The site he offers appears to be a German site !!!! Beware !!

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The site he offers appears to be a German site !!!! Beware !!
:wrong:

That site, written in German, is benign - as far as I can tell - since I did download links to North American map data. No evil crap was associated with them. The Google Chrome web browser translated the German into English with virtually no issues on my side of the screen.

YMMV and all of that - and, as always, it's up to you to make that determination on your own.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I did brave the heat in the garage yesterday afternoon briefly and tried the OSM map data files. I'm using an 8Gb memory card that actually had both the OEM Garmin map and the OSM map - as a map supplement.

The bike complained that the OEM Garmin map is locked (I've confirmed this...), so it loaded the OSM map. Today, I removed the OEM Garmin map & only used the OSM map.

I did a very quick route between a couple of points I have stored on the bike; it routed to them just fine, it seems.

Search is a little odd...

I put in an address that's in my neighborhood it should have found. It did find a similar address - in Texas. I wasn't asked to put in a city or state.

For me personally, I'm probably beyond the point of trying to make a route on the bike's GPS, but I can see where some people are more comfortable with that.

My next step is going to be making a couple of routes, using the OSM map data with BaseCamp.

EDIT: So, you *can* route, but BC has to be fooled by partially routing using the OEM files. Then, enabling the OSM map will allow the editing to continue.

I think I have also learned a lot more about why some files are unable to be used to search while on the bike, for example. :clap2:

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's *very* easy to create an unusable gmapsupp.img file - any file that's greater than 4294967295 bytes can't be put onto a USB or SD card that this specific GPS can read.

I may have a file by this weekend for others to try, if interested.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Send a PM if you're interested in playing around with the file I've generated with OSM data.

EDIT: 2012 - 2017 for the first go-round...but it might not be that difficult to at least make something usable for the oldest navigation systems.

EDIT2: I can confirm that Garmin did some funky stuff to make the newest(?) map fit on a SD card that had sufficient data to be usable. I could only compress the current OSM 48 state data down to ~1.9Gb and that was making the map non searchable and I believe non route-able.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
With the final distribution of changes for the 2006 - 2017 bikes, ...
It's the final distribution for 2006-2008. It looks to me like 2009-2017 will have future updates - at least for a while.

I'd be interested in doing just the Western US and Western Canada. I assume that could be done in under 2GB (the limit for the 2006-8 using CF cards).

BTW, I have a Cadillac SRX that uses a DVD for the integrated navigation. The latest map is 2016. Do you know if there's a way to burn an new DVD that it could read? I haven't found anything on the Caddy sites.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd be interested in doing just the Western US and Western Canada. I assume that could be done in under 2GB (the limit for the 2006-8 using CF cards).
Probably do-able. You'd want to find the host for tiles that will cover the province(s) you'd be interested in. It does take a crap-load of drive space to manipulate the files - I have one 300Gb segment on a hard drive and it's 85% filled with decompressed data for only the 48 state map that I'm looking for.

I can now fully understand the desire to only want to do this once, maybe twice a year tops.

BTW, I have a Cadillac SRX that uses a DVD for the integrated navigation. The latest map is 2016. Do you know if there's a way to burn an new DVD that it could read? I haven't found anything on the Caddy sites.
I took a stab at reading the card out of my 2013 Hyundai just recently. The file format is absolutely different - and I didn't find any sort of a source of discussion on how to decipher it.

My suspicion is people just shut up and pay the $130 to download the files - or $160 for them to send an SD card with the data already on it.

Shoot - I see the Caddy files are only $100... :mrgreen:

One would have to see what filetypes are on the disk, but suspect they may also be of a non-Garmin file format, making use of OSM data a challenge.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I took a stab at reading the card out of my 2013 Hyundai just recently. The file format is absolutely different - and I didn't find any sort of a source of discussion on how to decipher it.

My suspicion is people just shut up and pay the $130 to download the files - or $160 for them to send an SD card with the data already on it.

Shoot - I see the Caddy files are only $100... :mrgreen:

One would have to see what filetypes are on the disk, but suspect they may also be of a non-Garmin file format, making use of OSM data a challenge.
The one for my SRX is $198. The disk says TomTom on it. I'll have to do some research.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts