GL1800Riders Forums banner

241 - 260 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well there you have it folks. All the reports of poor sales and layoffs the past 5 years has been all fake news. Harley is alive and well. Nothing to see here. Sales didn't really drop 27% in the last quarter. Hog stock hasn't really dropped from $60 to $15 in the last 5 years. It's all a conspiracy. The reports of big layoffs are all a lie. The last 238 posts has all been wasted bandwidth. If you want the truth, ask the dealers. They will never lie to you.
No need to get hot under the collar!
Nobody is saying what you think. It is just that some of us are hopeful and not necessarily bowled-over with the great news that another publicly traded major American firm might be on the rocks.
I don't think we should just celebrate that possibility, or give up hope that it is a slump, that may eventually be overcome. Unless you're happy about tough times, regardless of who suffers. In that case, I remind you that we are Americans who ride Goldwings. Any iconic American company that fails is no need to celebrate.

But a couple of possibilities, before you throw another shovel load of dirt on The Motor Company ( he may still be breathing, Doctor):
1. Reports of an uptick in sales from the field can change any board members view, and thus, their investment decisions. Fake or not, I still remember when G.M. shares dipped to a few dollars per share. In the '70's, Mobil invested in Montgomery Wards. People were asking, where will Mobil find oil in the aisles of a Wards store? But their good times didn't last. Mobil divested and sold out to private investors. Wards has since perished, but so has Sears and others. The rest are in trouble.
Much the same as AMF thought they squeezed all the goodie out of old Harley. Sold to a young designer who was related to one of the founders, and a small group of true believers with money. Had to put the dirt shovel down,then. This is all the same stuff you hear on Wall Street all of the time.
If Harley goes down, others WILL follow. Is a scorched earth what you want for the whole industry? It might happen, so don't be too happy!
2. Can you name any company that hasn't gone through some sort of turmoil? Before you answer with "Lexus/Toyota" or such, please bear in mind Japan's economy as a whole, has long been in a stubborn set of the doldrums, since their " Glory Days". I doubt you would say it is all Japanese Industrial management teams, who are at fault for this.
All mfg.s have had their fair share of mishap. I would hope their management team stays in the fight to survive, thus saving thousands of jobs - AND AN INDUSTRY.

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
McDonald's sales plummet 30% in second quarter (McDonald's sales plummet 30%)

Talks are ongoing between Harley Davidson (HOG) and McDonald's (MCD) re a strategic merger between the two struggling companies. Corporate officials envision a synergy wherein motorcyclists will be able to order motorcycles at McDonald's drive-up windows, and hungry consumers will be able to purchase Big Macs in Harley Davidson showrooms. "We see a win-win," says the official statement announcing the talks. The statement goes on to say that the name of McDonald's signature french fries will be changed to "Potato Potato" while Harley Davidson will henceforth call their motocycles "McBikes" to reflect the traditional McDonald's "Mc" designation. Individual motorcycle model names will be changed to a consistent naming scheme. Henceforth a "Sportster" will be called a "McSportster," while an "UltraGlide" will be called a "McGlide."

·
Registered
356 Posts
By the way, to say all of the posts have been a waste of time - I am sorry you feel that way. I thought a forum was to exchange ideas and knowledge. I have enjoyed the interesting opinions and may even have learned something. (Perish the thought!)
Perhaps try a different thread, if this one wastes your time. (Although I do think we are close to the limit on fresh input.)

·
Registered
356 Posts
McDonald's sales plummet 30% in second quarter (McDonald's sales plummet 30%)

Talks are ongoing between Harley Davidson (HOG) and McDonald's (MCD) re a strategic merger between the two struggling companies. Corporate officials envision a synergy wherein motorcyclists will be able to order motorcycles at McDonald's drive-up windows, and hungry consumers will be able to purchase Big Macs in Harley Davidson showrooms. "We see a win-win," says the official statement announcing the talks. The statement goes on to say that the name of McDonald's signature french fries will be changed to "Potato Potato" while Harley Davidson will henceforth call their motocycles McBikes.
😂 great!
Only one thing, the Hamburglar will become the desired "Look" for anyone who rides a McBike ( bad for image!)

·
Chard Member
12,829 Posts
Well there you have it folks. All the reports of poor sales and layoffs the past 5 years has been all fake news. Harley is alive and well. Nothing to see here. Sales didn't really drop 27% in the last quarter. Hog stock hasn't really dropped from $60 to $15 in the last 5 years. It's all a conspiracy. The reports of big layoffs are all a lie. The last 238 posts has all been wasted bandwidth. If you want the truth, ask the dealers. They will never lie to you.
I see pain drugs haven't helped your personality Larry. I just answered your question. Guess you didn't like my answer! I didn't mention what the Harley total sales were. Just mentioned what is happening right now in my area. Breaks my heart you disagree.... lmao

It's amazing you can mention Harley Davidson on a Wing board and be guaranteed to get 100 plus responses from the "experts". Many or most of the responses are from people telling everyone how H-D can build a better Harley by making it more like a Goldwing. Most insecure group of bikers I've ever been around in my life! Why are so many Wingers intimidated by Harley Davidson and their owners?

You can start a Honda or Goldwing thread on a Harley forum and it just dies! Nobody telling you how you could make a better Honda if you made it more like a Harley. They don't care and aren't threatened by what someone else rides. They don't get their shorts in a bind like Wingers.

Some Wingers won't even look at me when I'm sitting right next to them at a light. Sitting to the right rear of a 1800 a few weeks ago at a light. The prude wouldn't even look over at me. His was wife(?) with him was very friendly. Tried to get her to come over and ride with me. By the smiles and grins I was getting she was enjoying it as much as I was! The prude didn't have a clue what was happening around him. A few miles later they turned right. Got the biggest wave ever from her. A little flirting with a Harley guy made her day! lol....

Couple years ago I stopped to see if a GL1800 sitting on the side of the road needed help. First thing out of the prudes mouth was "you wouldn't know anything about a Goldwing". I verbally and with my finger gave him a goodbye salute. Here I was willing to help but he didn't want it because of the brand of bike I was riding. He didn't have a clue I had forgotten more about what he was riding than he would ever know. Think he was one of Larry M's buds...

I've owned Honda's and Harley's for over 51 years, first new Wing in '80. I'm not new to the game of motorcycles and their owners.

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
I see pain drugs haven't helped your personality Larry. I just answered your question. Guess you didn't like my answer! I didn't mention what the Harley total sales were. Just mentioned what is happening right now in my area. Breaks my heart you disagree.... lmao

It's amazing you can mention Harley Davidson on a Wing board and be guaranteed to get 100 plus responses from the "experts". Many or most of the responses are from people telling everyone how H-D can build a better Harley by making it more like a Goldwing. Most insecure group of bikers I've ever been around in my life! Why are so many Wingers intimidated by Harley Davidson and their owners?

You can start a Honda or Goldwing thread on a Harley forum and it just dies! Nobody telling you how you could make a better Honda if you made it more like a Harley. They don't care and aren't threatened by what someone else rides. They don't get their shorts in a bind like Wingers.

Some Wingers won't even look at me when I'm sitting right next to them at a light. Sitting to the right rear of a 1800 a few weeks ago at a light. The prude wouldn't even look over at me. His was wife(?) with him was very friendly. Tried to get her to come over and ride with me. By the smiles and grins I was getting she was enjoying it as much as I was! The prude didn't have a clue what was happening around him. A few miles later they turned right. Got the biggest wave ever from her. A little flirting with a Harley guy made her day! lol....

Couple years ago I stopped to see if a GL1800 sitting on the side of the road needed help. First thing out of the prudes mouth was "you wouldn't know anything about a Goldwing". I verbally and with my finger gave him a goodbye salute. Here I was willing to help but he didn't want it because of the brand of bike I was riding. He didn't have a clue I had forgotten more about what he was riding than he would ever know. Think he was one of Larry M's buds...

I've owned Honda's and Harley's for over 51 years, first new Wing in '80. I'm not new to the game of motorcycles and their owners.
A few years ago, a buddy and I rode up to Cold Spring Tavern on a Sunday. It's a predominantly Harley hangout, but it's not like there's security waving other brands away. I was on an FJR, and my buddy was on a Ducati. We got food and sat at the end of a large, communal picnic table. The Harley guys at the other end wasted no time letting us know we weren't welcome. More than the unfriendliness, what struck me was that they knew what we were riding. By far the majority of riders around here who don't acknowledge other riders are on Harleys. The only reasonable response to that is a shrug.

A little good-natured ribbing between competing teams is fun, but animosity and suspicion breed animosity and suspicion. A little irony is one thing, but please, everyone, let's not escalate into snark. It harshes my mellow.

·
Chard Member
12,829 Posts
A few years ago, a buddy and I rode up to Cold Spring Tavern on a Sunday. It's a predominantly Harley hangout, but it's not like there's security waving other brands away. I was on an FJR, and my buddy was on a Ducati. We got food and sat at the end of a large, communal picnic table. The Harley guys at the other end wasted no time letting us know we weren't welcome. More than the unfriendliness, what struck me was that they knew what we were riding. By far the majority of riders around here who don't acknowledge other riders are on Harleys. The only reasonable response to that is a shrug.

A little good-natured ribbing between competing teams is fun, but animosity and suspicion breed animosity and suspicion. A little irony is one thing, but please, everyone, let's not escalate into snark. It harshes my mellow.
What a coincidence. I was treated the same way by a GWRRA group at a DQ a few years ago! lol...

I have enjoyed all the Harley and Honda motorcycles I have owned. Some owners not so much!

·
Registered
917 Posts
A little flirting with a Harley guy made her day! lol.... Come on, Red, admit it. It made your day, too.:devilish:

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
A little flirting with a Harley guy made her day! lol.... Come on, Red, admit it. It made your day, too.:devilish:
Considering Red was flirting with his girlfriend, that's one Honda rider who's never going to wave at Harley riders again.

·
Registered
356 Posts
What a coincidence. I was treated the same way by a GWRRA group at a DQ a few years ago! lol...

I have enjoyed all the Harley and Honda motorcycles I have owned. Some owners not so much!
Some folks think the freedom of motorcycling is "staying in your lane". Funny how the issue always comes down to the rider - and not the badge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, for me I've never had a girl flash me from a car on my Wing, but there have been three times over the past 45 years of riding where I've been flashed on my Harley. That's a form of flirting ain't it? And if you go to Sturgis, Daytona, or any of the rally's, you'll see more of that there than any place I've ever been too. But... Some. Women. Just. Shouldn't. Do. That.

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
Well, for me I've never had a girl flash me from a car on my Wing, but there have been three times over the past 45 years of riding where I've been flashed on my Harley. That's a form of flirting ain't it? And if you go to Sturgis, Daytona, or any of the rally's, you'll see more of that there than any place I've ever been too. But... Some. Women. Just. Shouldn't. Do. That.
36 Long.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Harley had their Q2 2020 earnings report today and it wasn't pretty. Here is the official HD presentation:

Page 8 is where the financials start. Down across pretty much every metric, they even came in UNDER estimates which weren't good to begin with.

HD really needs to stop the bleeding, hopefully the Rewire and now the subsequent Hardwire (new 5 year plan) turn the ship around before it sinks too far.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just one idea. It's worked before. I was thinking of Lexus, but there's also Lincoln, Cadillac, Infiniti, and Acura. But there are infinite ways this could go. I think the Harley brand will be around a long time. It's too valuable a brand to just disappear, but Harley is in danger of being scooped up by a deep-pocketed corporate raider and turned into a hollow company with its brand plastered on everything but motorcycles. I hope not.
AMF again?

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
So they can't win. One minute, they aren't trying to compete - the next minute they are traitors. Fine.
I'm not sure what is American or what is not. Our 2008 Airbag was assembled in Ohio. HDs have been made all over but of course they have a long and honorable Japanese history too. The first shipping label was circulated as a joke (a long time ago when HDs had carbs). The other two pictures are from an article I had from the AMA years ago.

Also I guess I should have quoted the person who mentioned all the HD plants around the world instead (sorry Flatsixbasic). I think it is all interesting history.

Attachments

Reactions: Flatsixbasic
241 - 260 of 307 Posts