GL1800Riders Forums banner

261 - 280 of 307 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
I'm not sure what is American or what is not. Our 2008 Airbag was assembled in Ohio. HDs have been made all over but of course they have a long and honorable Japanese history too. The first shipping label was circulated as a joke (a long time ago when HDs had carbs). The other two pictures are from an article I had from the AMA years ago.

Also I guess I should have quoted the person who mentioned all the HD plants around the world instead (sorry Flatsixbasic). I think it is all interesting history.
That just means that the label was made in Japan.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
A few years ago, a buddy and I rode up to Cold Spring Tavern on a Sunday. It's a predominantly Harley hangout, but it's not like there's security waving other brands away. I was on an FJR, and my buddy was on a Ducati. We got food and sat at the end of a large, communal picnic table. The Harley guys at the other end wasted no time letting us know we weren't welcome. More than the unfriendliness, what struck me was that they knew what we were riding. By far the majority of riders around here who don't acknowledge other riders are on Harleys. The only reasonable response to that is a shrug.

A little good-natured ribbing between competing teams is fun, but animosity and suspicion breed animosity and suspicion. A little irony is one thing, but please, everyone, let's not escalate into snark. It harshes my mellow.
In 2000 Wife and I were leaving Crazy Horse Monument when my 1996 GW died. Sat along the road for an hour or more while I tried to figure out what happened, even had the seat off. 3 GW drove past within that time and wouldn't none of them would even look at me. The first Harley that came by pulled over and asked if I needed help. While we both went over everything, it finally started. He told me about Rice Honda in Sturgis and lead the way, just in case. Rice diagnosed a faulty fuel pump and replaced it. I've owned Harleys every year from the mid 80s until 2018 and that was my first GW. It was the only bike that has ever broke down and a Harley guy was the one to help. GW owners had their noses in the air and wouldn't even look at us.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Harley Davidson dealers are good. They treat their riders to a lot of perks unlike most Honda dealers who treat you like you bought a lawnmower instead of a $25k motorcycle.
It's always been interesting through the years that on a Goldwing forum the threads that always generate the most conversation are the ones with folks discussing Harley Davidson... :ROFLMAO:

I personally have never had a bad experience at a Honda dealer. Cal Coast Motorsports in Ventura CA, with the help of Corventure Dave, went out of their way to get me back on the road when my drive shaft U joint failed. That and, "oh, by the way, can you do new tires and brakes for both our GW's?..." they did without hesitation. Essentially only a 24 hour delay in our trip.

The culture is different with Honda owners and HD owners. After buying my Honda's through the years, the dealer never even saw me again except for tire changes. I did all the other service myself. I don't go in there looking for clothes, hats, belts, and bandannas with "Honda" on them. Don't go in there just to look around, look for test rides, met up with other riders, get a cup of coffee, etc. The culture is different when you ride Honda, etc... most of us buy the bike and disappear until something breaks that we can't fix. So dealers are not greatly motivated to sell you stuff like HD is.

HD sells a lot more than bikes.... and not just to the HD owner, but to his wife / GF... children and grandparents... and people who don't even ride. The culture is different... they want you in there as much as possible. And, I suspect, (correct me if I'm wrong) they do a LOT more service on bikes than Honda does. You guys do a lot of service yourself, even many doing their own brakes and tire changes. Heck, you guys will service your own forks... even when they don't need it.

I'm inclined to think a great many, if not most, of HD riders have their service done at the dealer. Or some cycle shop. A great deal of the HD crowd, especially women, don't look like folks who get on the ground and service the thing. Many of them look like they can hardly ride it, much less service it.

It's just culture.... just because you ride a GW don't expect to be greeted as if "Prince Bob, the GOLDWING rider! just walked into the door... "

At HD, walk in the door and their job is to sell you a shirt, hat, bandanna and... "don't you need that Stage II kit for your bike?.... since HD didn't build the bike stock as they should had... and pipes?... why are you still riding with stock pipes?... upgrades. You need more stuff... "

I haven't spent anything like jackets, etc for years. Get a new Helmet about every 5-6 years.... Nolan and Arai love to see me....

·
Registered
19,971 Posts
I see pain drugs haven't helped your personality Larry. I just answered your question. Guess you didn't like my answer! I didn't mention what the Harley total sales were. Just mentioned what is happening right now in my area. Breaks my heart you disagree.... lmao
Not quite following you here. You and some others contradicted a comment I made by giving first hand accounts of how great Harley's are selling. What other possible purpose could there have been in making those posts than to tell me I was wrong? In response, I bowed and conceded to you more knowledgeable Harley owners that I was wrong and that everything is hunky dory in Harley land.

Isn't that what you were looking for?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Memorial Ride for Fallen Dallas Police Officer. Glad to see so many GW owners participated.
104083684_10217587814426658_234256152363494726_n.jpg

·
Registered
6,965 Posts

·
Chard Member
12,829 Posts
Not quite following you here. You and some others contradicted a comment I made by giving first hand accounts of how great Harley's are selling. What other possible purpose could there have been in making those posts than to tell me I was wrong? In response, I bowed and conceded to you more knowledgeable Harley owners that I was wrong and that everything is hunky dory in Harley land.

Isn't that what you were looking for?
"We have no way of knowing anything about this mystery dealer that is defying everything that is known about Harley to this point, so it isn't possible or even worth challenging what you are claiming."

Are you getting so old you don't have a clue what you said? I know you're never wrong Larry, but I just presented facts as I know them.

·
Registered
944 Posts

Answers why dealers don't have stock....but still was a loss.
Holding back stock by building less bikes so dealers charge full price plus additional markup over MSRP was a 1990's and early 2000's model. It aggravated the heck out of customers too. Trying that strategy in 2020 will get Zeitz an even bigger financial loss. Customers will not put up with that again. There are too many good bikes manufactured today to be able to pull off that kind of marketing scheme.

Thanks for posting that link too. Although I am disheartened about his comments. I was really pulling for him. And I was wrong about him. If he thinks he can charge $30,000+ for a Touring bike that still has to see the HD Shop for design faults, then he has NO CLUE about his Customer Base. If he doesn't realize that Harley owners are tired of paying his high prices, and THAT is one of his biggest Challenges, Harley's future is really bleak!

How can you make SOO much money and be SOO STUPID?

·
Registered
592 Posts
How can you make SOO much money and be SOO STUPID?
Don't mistake intent for stupidity with Zeitz. I think he knows exactly what he is doing.

If his plan is to reinvigorate HD and turn the sales slump into a boon, then yes his plan seems idiotic to us consumers.

If his plan is to increase the share price in the very short term in order to prepare HD for a corporate buyout, in which a higher share price nets him and the board more money from the deal, then his plan seems rather apt.

I still feel like the latter is his true goal. I think HD is trying to get bought out by someone larger with big pockets, some corporation which can benefit from diversification and infuse HD with capital for R&D and modernization. I don't think we the consumers are the priority for the Rewire and Hardwire, I think making HD look appetizing to big sharks is the priority.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I wonder how Indian sales are doing? They have some nice bikes
Local multi product dealer has sold 11 Indian Cheifs and Roadmasters. 1 GW.(not sure what version)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Local multi product dealer has sold 11 Indian Cheifs and Roadmasters. 1 GW.(not sure what version)
Wonder where the better profit margin is?? Not hard to understand.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Harley sales figures are easy to track. Honda, however, is so diversified that we'll never know the status of Goldwing sales. I've been a member here since 2004 and no one has ever come up with Goldwing sales figures.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Don't mistake intent for stupidity with Zeitz. I think he knows exactly what he is doing.

If his plan is to reinvigorate HD and turn the sales slump into a boon, then yes his plan seems idiotic to us consumers.

If his plan is to increase the share price in the very short term in order to prepare HD for a corporate buyout, in which a higher share price nets him and the board more money from the deal, then his plan seems rather apt.

I still feel like the latter is his true goal. I think HD is trying to get bought out by someone larger with big pockets, some corporation which can benefit from diversification and infuse HD with capital for R&D and modernization. I don't think we the consumers are the priority for the Rewire and Hardwire, I think making HD look appetizing to big sharks is the priority.
Well, I gotta admit, I discounted the Buyout theory at first. It sounded like a conspiracy theory to me.
However, based upon Zeitz's latest remarks about current strategy, he's either doing what you say, or he's so misaligned with reality he's going to ruin Harley Davidson.

If he's going the buyout route, he would be better served to keep his public comments to a minimum, because everytime he speaks and a little more info about strategy is revealed, the more scary he sounds. And what he is saying should be unsettling to investors, not confidence inspiring to make them takeover a company.

But, ONE asset Harley has that is unique in the Industry is it's dealer network. And it has plant facilities already in place, SO, a company that has a good product would have a super distribution network already at it's fingertips. That alone is worth a TON of money. There are no startup costs to develop the distribution and Service network.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It's not uncommon for a company with a questionable long range forecast to "pose" for a buyout or a move to issue a bunch more stock to generate capital.
When I was partner in a retail store I watched out primary paint company that had been privately held for about a hundred years go through unneeded product releases and color systems with big advertising campaigns, which they never did before. It worked out in their favor. After going "public" most of the shares were bought up by Warren Buffet/Berkshire Hathaway, which kept the company intact and provided plenty of support allowing them to grow/compete.
HD does seem to be in such a position with its new management team. They need to be careful and not show too much of their hand or the posturing could end up with undesirable results.

·
Chard Member
12,829 Posts
Good opportunity for Polaris? Instant expanded dealer network! They could market H-D and Polaris products in the same buildings.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Good opportunity for Polaris? Instant expanded dealer network! They could market H-D and Polaris products in the same buildings.
Maybe, but hopefully not.

Reactions: Easy80

·
Registered
322 Posts
They missed the boat when they didn’t create a V-Rod based touring bike. They were so dead set on sticking with air cooling as to not offend their customer base, in spite of that group obviously aging out in a few years. Short sightedness is all it amounted to, and now they are paying the price.

261 - 280 of 307 Posts