GL1800Riders Forums banner

281 - 300 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just for comparisons...If you compare the stock:
Since Feb of 2018 Honda is down 33%, Harley down 45%.
Honda still paying @ $0.22 quarterly dividends.
Harley was paying @ $0.38 dividends until the last two cycles where its dropped to $0.02.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Harley was paying @ $0.38 dividends until the last two cycles where its dropped to $0.02.
When a company that has a long range steady dividend payment record suddenly drops to almost nothing that spells trouble to many investment holders.

·
Registered
19,978 Posts
Manufacturing plants in the U.S. probably aren't high on private equity's list of things to buy.
Believe it or not, it is actually the opposite that is true. For the past 20 years, private equity firms have seen companies with manufacturing in the US as inefficient and great targets. That makes them ripe to grab at a low price. Then they move manufacturing outside the US where they can use cheaper labor to increase profit margin, and the stock price goes through the roof. With smaller products, mfg can be moved overseas. With larger products like a motorcycle, you move it to places like Mexico and Brazil.

20 years ago, you would not be able to get away with that with Harley. But now, the buy American mantra is fading with the baby boomers. There would be some blow back, but it would fade over time, just like it always does. Consumers shop for price, first and foremost, not quality and origin. That's why you can't even buy a toaster that works for more that 2 years anymore.

I am NOT saying that is what will likely happen.

·
Registered
19,978 Posts
You are painting a very misleading portrait here based on the starting point. You conveniently picked Feb 2018, which was a point where Honda stock had hit a peak after a short rally. The reality is that Honda stock is trading today at the same price it was at in Feb 2016

Honda is a highly diversified, multinational conglomerate, and is regarded as a blue chip stock. It is nearly impossible to make any meaningful comparisons with small niche companies like Harley. The product offerings don't even equate. Might as well compare Harley to Apple or Microsoft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am on my 31st motorcycle (2018 DCT Tour Airbag). My thirtieth motorcycle was a 2011 Harley Road King Classic, the first and possibly last Harley. I enjoyed the Harley but to me the ties to the nostalgic past mean too many uncomfortable compromises. I cannot envision a scenario where Harley will be successful in continuing to market the V-twin lifestyle. The aging out of the loyal customer and the digital youth do not bode well. I purchased my new Gold Wing because at age 60 I would like to continue this sport in comfort and enjoy the technological advancements that Honda executes so well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You are painting a very misleading portrait here based on the starting point. You conveniently picked Feb 2018, which was a point where Honda stock had hit a peak after a short rally. The reality is that Honda stock is trading today at the same price it was at in Feb 2016

Honda is a highly diversified, multinational conglomerate, and is regarded as a blue chip stock. It is nearly impossible to make any meaningful comparisons with small niche companies like Harley. The product offerings don't even equate. Might as well compare Harley to Apple or Microsoft.
I conveniently picked Feb of 2018 because thats when I bought the Honda stock. No intended manipulation of the numbers to prove a point

·
Registered
868 Posts

The stock prices themselves aren't that important but when a company has a history of a paying a certain range of dividend and then suddenly drops the dividend to almost nothing it tends to cause concern for investors who buy a stock for the dividend income. Many will sell it off if the reports of the future don't seem promising and that causes the share price to drop (even) more.

·
Registered
19,978 Posts
I conveniently picked Feb of 2018 because thats when I bought the Honda stock. No intended manipulation of the numbers to prove a point
Eeek! Nice timing. (y) I used to do stuff like that, until my financial advisor told me to stop trading.😋 Just kidding.

I should not have insinuated that you intentionally skewed the stats. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that the pick was just Luck of the Irish. My real point was that picking a more neutral start point would have shown that the Honda stock was not really in a steep decline, and was much more stable over time than the Harley stock, which has been steadily declining for many years. The reasons for the differences in dividend adjustments would have made a lot more sense.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I know the fact that the BIG bike market in the US is in decline does nothing to help Harley. But it is a problem that all manufacturers must find a solution to. Its amplified by Harley simply because thier entire product line resides there.

Reading many of the post here, you would think that Honda or other manufacturers had found the solution, truth is that the entire segment is down across the 7 major brands. That's why you can still buy new 2018 Goldwings. New entries such as Can Am Spyder, Indian, Polaris Slingshot, have further divided this segment, but no one is setting it on fire.

Less than half of motorcycles in the US sold in 2006 is being sold now. Again, this doesn't benefit Harley, I'm just making the point that they are not the only ones feeling the pain in this segment, and no one has came up with the solution.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I know the fact that the BIG bike market in the US is in decline does nothing to help Harley. But it is a problem that all manufacturers must find a solution to. Its amplified by Harley simply because thier entire product line resides there.

Reading many of the post here, you would think that Honda or other manufacturers had found the solution, truth is that the entire segment is down across the 7 major brands. That's why you can still buy new 2018 Goldwings. New entries such as Can Am Spyder, Indian, Polaris Slingshot, have further divided this segment, but no one is setting it on fire.

Less than half of motorcycles in the US sold in 2006 is being sold now. Again, this doesn't benefit Harley, I'm just making the point that they are not the only ones feeling the pain in this segment, and no one has came up with the solution.
All true, to an extent. But, as has been mentioned a number of times through this thread is the thing with companies like Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Polaris, others is that the decline in "big bike" sales really has so little effect on their end numbers that it doesn't matter that much. Sure corporate bean counters will be scrambling over accounting for various division's losses but to the corporates stock holders and yearly report it will be relatively insignificant.
A major downturn in big bike sales for HD is very significant.

·
Registered
169 Posts
...And the winner is? Well, maybe us, the riders! Might be some great deals. Harley however is fast fading into the sunset. Whenever I see a Harley rider at a rest stop, it is an older pot bellied man with a long white beard, heavily tattooed and sunburned. When it is 90F, they are wearing black clothing. Unbelievable.
I kid you not. I stopped at a rest stop in BC 2 weeks ago. I counted 26 Harleys and I was the only Goldwing. EVERYONE was dressed in black, I was tempted to ask where was the funeral and who died?
That so called "lifestyle" is going the same way as a typewriter did. Poor Harley has no other product other than black T shirts, chrome and V twins. Not what you'd call diversified. I too will miss them if they go under and if they do, the CEO and team better not rape the company and take millions out.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
All true, to an extent. But, as has been mentioned a number of times through this thread is the thing with companies like Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Polaris, others is that the decline in "big bike" sales really has so little effect on their end numbers that it doesn't matter that much. Sure corporate bean counters will be scrambling over accounting for various division's losses but to the corporates stock holders and yearly report it will be relatively insignificant.
A major downturn in big bike sales for HD is very significant.
Agreed, my response is more geared to those who keep implying that it is the motorcycles that Harley produce that has sales in decline. What is the reason for everyone else? I've already acknowledged that some of the other companies are possibly in a better position to weather the storm than Harley because they are more diverse.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
...And the winner is? Well, maybe us, the riders! Might be some great deals. Harley however is fast fading into the sunset. Whenever I see a Harley rider at a rest stop, it is an older pot bellied man with a long white beard, heavily tattooed and sunburned. When it is 90F, they are wearing black clothing. Unbelievable.
I kid you not. I stopped at a rest stop in BC 2 weeks ago. I counted 26 Harleys and I was the only Goldwing. EVERYONE was dressed in black, I was tempted to ask where was the funeral and who died?
That so called "lifestyle" is going the same way as a typewriter did. Poor Harley has no other product other than black T shirts, chrome and V twins. Not what you'd call diversified. I too will miss them if they go under and if they do, the CEO and team better not rape the company and take millions out.
As compared to the lifestyle of a GWer in shorts, tanktop and flip flops ?
GW.jpg

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Not recommended riding gear but more my kind of folks than those compelled to be decked out in black leather...
Stereotypes

By Saul McLeod, updated 2015

Definition: A stereotype is “...a fixed, over generalized belief about a particular group or class of people.” (Cardwell, 1996). For example, a “hells angel” biker dresses in leather.

One advantage of a stereotype is that it enables us to respond rapidly to situations because we may have had a similar experience before.
One disadvantage is that it makes us ignore differences between individuals; therefore we think things about people that might not be true (i.e. make generalizations).

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Not recommended riding gear but more my kind of folks than those compelled to be decked out in black leather...
You slide in your shorts and flip flops and I'll slide in leathers. Lets see who has the most skin left. Your shiny white ass or my evil black leather. :D

281 - 300 of 368 Posts