GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Last week, while sitting in stopped traffic on a freeway onramp, I got mildly bumped by an inattentive, uninsured driver. Other than getting a *** moment and a slight abrasion on my left ankle (that would have been prevented if I was wearing proper boots rather than tennis shoes), I had no injuries.

The bike got what looked liked minor damage to the left saddlebag, muffler covers, and a slightly bent license plate. I rode it over to an authorized Honda service dealer and had them look at it. The estimate: $4,198.28.

1) Both saddlebags (including more than several screws, gaskets, and nuts)
2) All left side muffler covers (including more than several screws, gaskets, and nuts)
3) Assorted other hardware
4) Labor

AWESOME!!!! not

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Glad it wasn't any worse and you're here to post about it!

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Last week, while sitting in stopped traffic on a freeway onramp, I got mildly bumped by an inattentive, uninsured driver. Other than getting a *** moment and a slight abrasion on my left ankle (that would have been prevented if I was wearing proper boots rather than tennis shoes), I had no injuries.

The bike got what looked liked minor damage to the left saddlebag, muffler covers, and a slightly bent license plate. I rode it over to an authorized Honda service dealer and had them look at it. The estimate: $4,198.28.

1) Both saddlebags (including more than several screws, gaskets, and nuts)
2) All left side muffler covers (including more than several screws, gaskets, and nuts)
3) Assorted other hardware
4) Labor

AWESOME!!!! not
holy crap!!!!! How can you collect on that? Court? Sorry man, what a bummer. Hope you come out ok after everything is done. Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Major bummer. Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Does California have proof of insurance before getting plates?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Isn't it strange that because people don't buy liability insurance, WE have to pay more by buying uninsured or underinsured insurance. In Germany, you don't have insurance you will find getting up in the morning and the plates are not on the vehicle. You get in an accident and the other guy is at fault, NO, you are at fault because without insurance you were not supposed to be on the road driving.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Cant get blood from a turnip. Ridiculous. At least you did not have thousands in medical bills to go with it. Only the responsible get punished. Glad you were not injured.

Get charged with no insurance where I live and its a $30 fine. Unreal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don’t get more screwed over than you already have. Contact an attorney that specializes in motorcycle accidents immediately. If you don’t you will be paying out for all of your damages and could even wind up being at fault to your insurance company and to law enforcement.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Cant get blood from a turnip. Ridiculous. At least you did not have thousands in medical bills to go with it. Only the responsible get punished. Glad you were not injured. Get charged with no insurance where I live and its a $30 fine. Unreal.
That is pretty lame! It’s no wonder many drivers would skip the insurance & take a chance! Here in Canada, the police take it a little more seriously:

What Is The Fine For Driving Without Insurance In Alberta?
Getting caught driving without valid insurance coverage will cost you :

First offense fine : A minimum of $2,875 up to $10,000. Failure to pay the fine can result in 45 days to 6 months in jail.

Second offense fine : If you are caught driving without insurance within 5 years of the first offense, you face a minimum fine of $5,000 up to $20,000. Failure to pay will result in 60 days to 6 months in jail.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You might check the Trike shops that install the trike kits. Might find most of the parts you need there. Only a thought!

Reactions: techdude2000

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
That is pretty lame! It’s no wonder many drivers would skip the insurance & take a chance! Here in Canada, the police take it a little more seriously:

What Is The Fine For Driving Without Insurance In Alberta?
Getting caught driving without valid insurance coverage will cost you :

First offense fine : A minimum of $2,875 up to $10,000. Failure to pay the fine can result in 45 days to 6 months in jail.

Second offense fine : If you are caught driving without insurance within 5 years of the first offense, you face a minimum fine of $5,000 up to $20,000. Failure to pay will result in 60 days to 6 months in jail.

This is the way it should be all over the country.............The law abiding citizen get screwed all the time, the law breaker hits you, and you get stuck with the bill, as well as, a possible lose of your vehicle.....That is total BShi#.....Even if you get your vehicle repaired (auto body service) it still not worth what it should be B4 the accident!

Ronnie

·
Registered
712 Posts
Isn't it strange that because people don't buy liability insurance, WE have to pay more by buying uninsured or underinsured insurance. In Germany, you don't have insurance you will find getting up in the morning and the plates are not on the vehicle. You get in an accident and the other guy is at fault, NO, you are at fault because without insurance you were not supposed to be on the road driving.

Insurance companies should be required to report to the DMV when insurance lapses or canceled on a vehicle and the license plate become invalid and the driver's license revoked. That would not cure the problem, but it would certainly help.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Insurance companies should be required to report to the DMV when insurance lapses or canceled on a vehicle and the license plate become invalid and the driver's license revoked. That would not cure the problem, but it would certainly help.
Some states do a much better job that others. NC lists the insurance info on the registration if I remember correctly. Virginia is a joke, check the box on the DMV registration application stating you have insurance is all thats required. Occasionally Va DMV will send an insurance verification letter where you have to provide an actual policy number but I have received 1 in 34 years. You figure the odds. There are tons of people driving around with no insurance, TRUST ME. it would be in your best interest to raise your uninsured motorist coverage to the maximum. It does not cost much more overall on a policy.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
In Colorado the vehicle is supposed to be impounded until you get insurance. Problem this does not happen. Missing year or month tags is $20.00. Expired tags is a fine for the first 3 months as well as you have to get caught up with DMV.
Some of our counties and cities are very aggressive and others don't bother.
The insurance data base is not up to date but Boulder uses a plate scanner and Denver uses Meter Maids. In both cases you are considered guilty unless you can prove otherwise.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Right on. States require us to spend thousands over time on "uninsured motorist" coverage and many of those states just issue a ticket to folks without proof of insurance. I would argue that if states immediately impounded the uninsured vehicles and arrested the drivers all of us honest folks wouldn't have to spend $billions/year on uninsured motorist coverage. The insurance companies don't want that. The insurance companies have lobbyist, taxpaying consumers get screwed. States could easily charge a small surcharge on initial and license renewals to cover uninsured accidents but insurance companies make sure that doesn't happen.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Sometimes the sub frame that supports all those parts gets damaged too. Either part #1 and/or 2.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon/5a4d625c87a8660ed87a0249/luggage-stay

If you have uninsured motorist, and turn it over to your insurance company, your insurance company will go after him.

The good news is that you can probably source many of those parts from a trike shop for next to nothing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts