GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just returned from a 3 day ride....all days were at least 10 hours...some freeway, lots of back roads....coming from a 2005 Wing, to me, and this is just my opinion (with a Honda backrest), this is the best stock seat ever....yes at times I started to need to stretch, a short 10 minute break and I was ready to ride again. At the end of the day, I was not sore, or had any issues. I took an airhawk style cushion, never used it.

Met up with another rider on a 2018, he had just finished an 8 day ride, and he also was very happy with the stock seat, today he said he did need a break from riding.

·
IronMan
17,634 Posts
OTHERS COMPLAIN WORSE SEAT EVER ! :surprise::serious::grin2: ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR " AZZ" !

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Good Seat

I also just returned from a trip of 7 day ride from Ohio up into Canada to Quebec City and then down to Montreal and back. Several 10 hour days and mostly backroads up through the Catskills, Adirondacks, Alleghenys, Green Mountains to Canada. I too had an Air Hawk along and never used it. I did ride on beads for one day when it rained most of the day. But that was for drainage, not comfort. But then again, I don't notice the beads either when riding on them.

I almost bought the Honda custom seat when I bought the bike but at the last minute, decided against it.

The stock seat is fine for me.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Just like many other activities a little 'spring training' to get the butt in condition before setting off on long adventures can prevent a lot of discomfort.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
For me the 2018 seat was okay but I would not want to do back to back 500-600 mile days, love my RDL

·
Registered
419 Posts
4k miles in one year, my @ss still needs a rest aver 90 minutes. Part of my drive is slow traffic, parts is 80mph. Thats a 75 mile ride one way.
I think the longer you ride, at a given hwy speed, the better it might be. I tried the hawk, but didnt help make things easier.
Oh yeah, my back pockets are empty.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,556 Posts
Gosh, just one day of 10 hours would had been torture for me with the stock seat. I couldn't imagine riding on the stock seat for 3-10 hour days...I couldn't even ride on it for 70 miles before it started hurting.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Since I was riding for most of 21 straight days I had Steve Gowing modify my seat. He gave it a little dish as well as some extra height and a little more firmness.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I did not like the seat on my 92 1500 and in 112K miles tried two different after market seats. The last one, I did love. Then I sold the bike and bought a 2001 1800 and from the first ride to the last 46K miles, I loved the stock seat. Now, I have a 2005 and it has the same seat and I still at 70 years old love the seat. When I bought this bike, it had highway pegs for stretching the legs out. I took them off and threw them away for two reasons. First of all the guy who owned the bike dumped it on its left side. The highway peg rotated up and put a small pencil eraser indent/hole in the lower valve cover. No, oil leak but cosmetic ugly. Second reason to get rid of the highway pegs was when using them your feet are not close to the brake or shifter and your buttocks is rotated into a position where your whole body weight is now resting on a small portion of your butt instead of all of your cheeks. My buttocks would get sore if I rode for long in that position. The key for me when riding for hours on end. Like San Antonio to Seattle and back, Montana and back, Canada and back, Wisconsin and back, etc., etc. is to wear underwear that has no ridges to bite into your skin. I also will wear an stretchable Velcro back brace to help support my spine so as not to slouch. Properly placed and adjusted back rests will help with this too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Last summer I was not so sure about the stock seat and kept an air hawk in a saddle bag. Fast forward to this summer and 14k miles later, myself and the stock seat have grown on each other. I am thinking about getting a back rest for myself though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
.....I almost bought the Honda custom seat when I bought the bike ......
I have the Honda Custom Seat, and have taken it apart for my foam mods, and I can tell you that the front section of this seat is EXACTLY THE SAME as the stock seat.
It does have a taller built-in back rest, which I like a lot.
The hole for the optional backrest is not there.
There is a bit more foam on the outer edges of the passenger section.
And all the heating elements are there, just like the stock seat.
But NOT worth $1,000 (I bought it used).
Jefro.

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
I found the rider section of the seat good by oem standards, but not as comfy as aftermarket, the bigger problem for us was the pillion section of the oem seat, we bought the Wing specific for 2up riding, mama was not impressed at all (that's being kind), we're running an Ultimate seat now and we are both happier. :smile2:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have the Wingsoft seat modification now for several thousand miles and my passenger and I have noted a big improvement. I can now ride for long periods of time with my feet on the stock rider pegs with no discomfort.

Once in a while I will stretch my legs out on the ****-O-Pegs for a minute or so and back to the rider pegs. I can do long stretches with no discomfort at all. I'm a tall guy and had to modify the ****-O-Pegs so they would rotate to a lower and further forward position which distributes weight across the back of my thighs.

I also use ceramic seat beads from Beadrider.com during the summer. In addition to keeping your rear end cooler and dryer I think they help a lot with circulation. When riding long distance I don't wear anything cotton. I wear the Klim Agressor -1.0 long sleeve top and leggings under my Klim gear and this stuff keeps me cool and dry in the summer heat.

If you wear cotton jeans then at a minimum you should be wearing an Under Armour type of performance undergarment designed to wick moisture away from your skin.

·
Registered
419 Posts
When riding over and hour, I notice the pain seem more like riding a 2 by 4, than sore cheeks. It also seems the OEM pegs lift my legs up off the seat some, I'm 6ft, putting pressure across the cheeks. I also got a gel seat for my work chair, the 75 minute ride in the morning is way better that the 90 minute ride home from work. I thought about a RDL seat and ride up, (8 hours) to do a same day, but geez, I dont think I could ride back for several days til the butt was safe to do so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts