GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are taking our first semi-long trip starting today. We're leaving Northern Virginia for Huntsville, Alabama (10-12 hours according to Google). Haven't decided if we'll do it in a single jaunt; thought we'd play it be ear. Supposed to be mid-60s and sunny all week once once we're 50 miles out (sprinkling a little this morning at home). Should be fun!

Anything we should plan to do along the way that I might have not thought about (photos of state signs, etc.)?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Take your time ... take back roads (Blue Ridge Parkway ???) ... stop often to eat, drink, smell the roses ... stop early in the day (maybe 4:00 rather than ride into evening dusk to avoid deer danger) ... have fun !!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
While you are in Alabama, I hope you get to the Barber Museum. Great place to visit!

Have a wonderful trip and I would urge you to break it up into two days to enjoy the ride and each other!

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Take your time ... take back roads (Blue Ridge Parkway ???) ... stop often to eat, drink, smell the roses ... stop early in the day (maybe 4:00 rather than ride into evening dusk to avoid deer danger) ... have fun !!! :thumbup:
:agree: Sounds like a great strategy.

If you have the time, take the time. After both of you have several of these jaunts under your belt, you can spend longer times in the saddle.

By the way, I'm very jealous of you. :thumbup:

Have a nice trip.

·
Registered
19,048 Posts
ALL THE ABOVE.

Stay hydrated and stop when you are tired

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have several friends in Huntsville, AL

What routes are you planning to take? I have been there several times and have a favorite route, let me know if interested.

If you go by Chattanooga, several things to see there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. We plan a straight jaunt down there via I-81 through southern Virginia, through Knoxville and Chattanooga (where I actually bought the bike) and then on to Huntsville. We have a week off and will take our time. We plan a slow, leisure trip back with a two-day stop at "Rally in the Valley" (GWRRA Virginia's annual shindig)' and then hit the twisties in the back hills of the Shenandoah Mountains. We're off!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Route 72 from the South Pittsburgh exit to Huntsville is a nice ride. Have fun, you'll probably get this at your evening stop.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
All great advice from the other members. I might add what I've found works well for me. DON'T ride for so long or so far that you get sore, tired, or something hurts before stopping. For example, if after riding 90 minutes your shoulders begin to ache or your neck is hurting, then you stop, you've ridden too far/long. Stop before you reach that point where you become uncomfortable. It may be only an hour but stop BEFORE you feel the need. As little as 5 minutes off the bike, walking around, and drinking some water, gatorade, etc. will keep you feeling much better. If it doesn't interfere with other meds, take an occasional ibuprofen, it will greatly reduce muscle ache. The point is not to ride so far between stops that you are in agony. If you always stop at a point where you feel you could have kept going, you'll never feel like you HAVE to stop. It may take you a little longer but you won't feel beat up when you get to your destination. Works for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts