GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it yesterday and set it up. My brother, cousin and I went in together and bought it. We have been using the Harbor freight changer. I have a spare rim and a few old tires. I was able to demount a rear tire in 3 min. Mount it in 5 min.
Nice addition to the garage.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hmm...you got me thinking....Does it make sense financially to change my own tires?

How much does the tire changer cost?
How much on average does it cost to have someone else mount the tires?

How many tires would I have to change to break even?

I am thinking just dollars and cents ONLY.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Looks great!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have a similar machine and I change all of my car tires and bike tires. It's great to be able to work on your own schedule and not be running around to bike or tire shops to do your work.

Jeff...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Congrats on the new machine!
What brand is it?
Have you tried changing a runflat yet?
Paul

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
changer

Logbidr, It's just so nice not to have the

hassle of dealer tires. Very nice.

Link please.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
:congrats:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Should definitely pay for itself in your situation. I pay $150 every time I get tires installed. Best of all, you know the job will get done right with no scratched rims.
Ouch!!!!!!!

I have been doing my own tires for years.....not to save money, but just because of living out in the country, 20 miles from town, 50 to the closest bike shop.

Aside from the convenience, I hate letting anyone else wrench on my scooter.

So I built my own lift table, bead breaker and tire changing stand. With my mojo lever and no mar tire iron, I can wrestle a run flat off in less than 2 minutes, and get a new one on in about 5 or 6 minutes.........sometimes faster, sometimes not :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Here is the link http://www.pacetools.com/Products/ATC-400

It helps if you have several people to go in with. We have LOTS of family that ride. 5 on 1800's that I can think of right now.
that is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to have one of those in my garage......but I dont have any friends, so, I cant afford one that nice!

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I can't help but believe that it would work even better here in Idaho. Much better even. If you should choose to move here, and I think that you should, I will even help you set up your tire changer here. If space is a problem, then being the kind soul that I am will even offer a suitable area in my garage for the unit.

If you are unable to move here at this time I will nonetheless still offer room in my garage for the time being for your changer. Please PM me for my address.

·
Registered
140 Posts
$10 change over

I am very fortunate to have a tire shop two minutes away from my home that charges me $10 for a removal & remount on my wing car tires. I take in the wheel and he does it while I wait.
Ricker

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't help but believe that it would work even better here in Idaho. Much better even. If you should choose to move here, and I think that you should, I will even help you set up your tire changer here. If space is a problem, then being the kind soul that I am will even offer a suitable area in my garage for the unit.

If you are unable to move here at this time I will nonetheless still offer room in my garage for the time being for your changer. Please PM me for my address.

Rustydust
Sorry, but this model is not allowed in Idaho. You have the wrong kind of electric.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts