GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when you think you have it all figured out :confused:

Here I was under the impression as we (myself included) get older we tend to get narrow minded and intolerant of new ideas. What I have learned here lately is the group here, on the CT area at least, (you know the old coots) are pretty open minded and willing to give a goofy concept a trial before saying it can't be done. Of course there are a few exceptions as we all know but they are outsiders who just like to kick up a dust pile (not that I never toss a rock into the hen house). But by and large people who have tried the CT experience and done it correctly are hooked and like myself snicker at the pure ignorance of the "readers" and non doers.

What really takes all this to a new level is the amount of negativity and total close minded thinking not of the older crowd but young fellows on the sport tour sites. Take it from me - do not mention CT and motorcycle on any of them. I have been getting "it's illegal and your going to jail" " I have heard of it being done but it's a really dumb idea" and the classic " I had a good friend killed by running a CT" Of course not one single person has tried it but they are unanimously against it. And as usual " how can you turn when the tire is on the sidewall "
Now we are not talking sport bikes but rather medium size sport tour ST1100's. And if you have never ridden an ST, they are very harsh compared to the wing and need all the softening up they can get.
In retrospect I remember a time when not only myself but my children knew everything so perhaps they are just drifting through the age of enlightenment. Soon they will grow out of that phase and become one of us "CT dummies"
And as a side effect they will have money and all their skin. Unfortunately probably not their hair or at least the correct color hair. :?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The guy that rides this suzuki use to work with me, young kid 25, wev'e remained friends and ride together. He has no problem at all with my car tire. Says he's never seen a winnebago throw sparks before

·
Registered
796 Posts
Storm,

I just read your Stealth 11 project page. Very cool, very creative. Wow, I love what you did and thanks for showing the whole project from start to finish. I've always liked the reverse trike idea....would love to see it done well on the 1800. thanks, I really enjoyed your work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well Storm, I'm one of those "old geezers" who is looking at CT's for the Wing. But, just to add my opinion to the conversation, I'll say this.

I'm not sure that the premise that we (the Wing riders) are working from is the same one that the sport tourer riders are working from. Given that, I'm not sure that CT's are the answer for them. I think the real problem we are trying to overcome with this "experiment" is that all the MT's we have available for the Wing are just "overgrown" sport tires and are not specifically designed for touring bikes.

But, to me, the Sport Tourers are a lot closer to the sport bikes than they are to the touring bikes. They are lighter for one thing. Couple that fact with the greater lean angle they are capable of and it would, on the surface of things, make more sense to me to run MT's on them rather than CT's.

However, having said that, that statement takes nothing from the fact that CT's seem to work well on the Wing. But, in the sport tourers defense, for you to talk to them about CT's like telling me that I can run truck tires on my Corvette. Yes, they will fit, but fortunately, I don't have to. In that case, the tire makers build a wide range of performance tires that are built specifically for my type of vechical so I have no need to try that.

As I said, I'm not sure that is the case with the Wing. Maybe if Honda had designed it to run a different tire, and if the tire manufacturers would really put some development into building a true "touring tire" that had a good mix of wet handeling, overall wear, high and low speed handeling, weight rateing, and good ride then none of us whould be talking about this this issue.

But they didn't, so here we are.

JMHO

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Here is a CT on a FJR,Yes that's right a FJR.

He uses it mainly because of all the ironbutt rides he does,and he takes long trips a lot..A friend sent me the pictures and told me the story.
My friend also told me how this FJR guy got a new arse ripped by his fellow FJR riders,and if you think we get ragged by the nitwits here,you should of heard what they did to that guy on the FJR board..

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Storm,

I just read your Stealth 11 project page. Very cool, very creative. Wow, I love what you did and thanks for showing the whole project from start to finish. I've always liked the reverse trike idea....would love to see it done well on the 1800. thanks, I really enjoyed your work.

Here is a few reverse trikes for you to wonder at..

Here is a quad 1800 that either is for sale this way now or will be shortly..
They also have it available for just the reservs trike as well.
Someone will chime in with the east coast company that is building these??

Here is a reverse trike I saw and sat on at the Long Beach Bike show..Sitting on the thing was a strange sensation to say the least,and this was after I test rode a Spyder..

·
Registered
883 Posts
Here is a reverse trike I saw and sat on at the Long Beach Bike show..Sitting on the thing was a strange sensation to say the least,and this was after I test rode a Spyder..

Notice the CT on the "front" of this contraption! When asked why there was not a CT on the Rear he told me it couldn't be done & was dangerous, because the rims were not made for them!

Sleddog

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Storm,

Take a vacation some where...this is a good time to visit the the Laplands in Finland

1 - 9 of 9 Posts