GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you keep your maps updated on your GPS? I have a Garmin Quest which is not made anymore and I really love this little GPS. The latest update I can get(which I have) is Street Navigator 2008. I checked with Garmin and they changed over to NT so they are not updating any of their maps for the Quest.

The price for a new GPS that works with NT is outrageous. Eventually I'll have to buy another one but for now I'll stick with my outdated maps.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I try to keep mine updated. Most rural roads don't change all that much, but from time to time I use the GPS to get to places, especially in larger cities, where I am not familiar with the streets / roads. I have only had a GPS for about 3 years, but it didn't take me long to have a few cases where the GPS didn't know about changes and it was a bit irritating to say the least. :eek:4:

I would say that if you are not having any bad experiences due to outdated maps, then don't worry about it.

Ron Fuller

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I don't update maps. I'll put the saved money towards a new GPS and maps when the time comes. And I can still find my way around.

·
Registered
366 Posts
nlsa,
The latest update I can get(which I have) is Street Navigator 2008.
I *assume* that you are in the US. If so, the actual name of the mapset you have is City Navigator North America (CN NA) 2008. That is not the "latest" mapset in the non-NT format. The latest is CN NA 2009 released in the Summer of 2008. Could you have misread your mapset data and it really is 2009?

I've long forgotten the menu system of the Quest, but you should find the map info under Options>System tools>Map Info (or something close to this).

CN NA 2009 is no longer available; even if you had the CN NA 2009 DVD, you can't get an Unlock Code (the 25-character Alphanumeric string) for your Quest from Garmin any longer.

Sorry...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I don't update my GPS maps, and they are 7yrs old at this point.

Hardly ever have a problem, as it's seems pretty rare that a road "moves" very much. When there is an issue, it's typically that an Intersection (on/off ramp) has moved, yet that's easily surmountable just by keeping your eyes open at the time.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Roads do seldom move. But, when you live in or visit a "boom town" (as San Antonio is) you will need to update periodically or you will simply not be able to find the road you are looking for in your system. It simply didn't exist when the maps were made. Of course, you can always print out instructions from google maps, I suppose.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nlsa,

I *assume* that you are in the US. If so, the actual name of the mapset you have is City Navigator North America (CN NA) 2008. That is not the "latest" mapset in the non-NT format. The latest is CN NA 2009 released in the Summer of 2008. Could you have misread your mapset data and it really is 2009?

I've long forgotten the menu system of the Quest, but you should find the map info under Options>System tools>Map Info (or something close to this).

CN NA 2009 is no longer available; even if you had the CN NA 2009 DVD, you can't get an Unlock Code (the 25-character Alphanumeric string) for your Quest from Garmin any longer.

Sorry...
You are correct....I guess I didn't explain myself very well. Even with the 09 I would still be out of date so I just said mine was the latest update.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I have a Zumo 660 that I use for travel on the trike and it's kept up to date with very latest maps, because we travel all over the US with it. I also have a 2720 that has 2008 maps that's just used in the truck and will never get updated maps again.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
And just to be totally clear....City Navigator 2009 maps are actually dated as 2008.

So I'm guessing that City Navigator 2008 has mapsets that are actually dated 2007???

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't update maps. I'll put the saved money towards a new GPS and maps when the time comes. And I can still find my way around.
I agree.. tiger direct yoiu can buy a new GPS for just a tad more than updating maps. I feel the roads dont change that much in a few years and like others said you can still get around without any major problems. Save your money and get a new Garmin.

To give you an example the one I loved died. Damn.. I bought a new Garmin at TD and paid a lot less than other places. The new one gives me the speed limits on the road im on with uncanny accuracy. It gives me traffic reports. Its all amazing with a built in calculator, stores pictures etc. I can even blue tooth through it with my telephone. Now my old one wouldn't even come close to this one as to what it will do.

Get a new on and you will be happy.:lol:

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I update the maps on my units since I hang on to these older GPS's that have the features that you can't find on the newer units, specifically the MP3 player that's built in to two units I own, and an fM transmitter in one unit that broadcasts to you radio so you don't need a physical connection to hear your tunes and the GPS routing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Slowdog,
And just to be totally clear....City Navigator 2009 maps are actually dated as 2008.

So I'm guessing that City Navigator 2008 has mapsets that are actually dated 2007???
Yes, your "guessing" is correct. To the best of my knowledge, every Garmin mapset that uses the year as part of the name is released a year after the mapset "date"...!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
My Quest2 is City Navigator N. America 2009. Not worried about any updates. If the roads change, I'll just be on a new adventure!

I love my Quest, too. Especially the screen, which is readable in direct sun.

It'd be hard to spend $500 for a new GPS... especially one that's tough to read in direct sun with sunglasses and faceshield.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts