GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the bike back from a local Honda service just before close today and noticed that my outside temperature gauge was not working properly.

Question: How important is this in the operation of the bike besides info?

(ie. for the ECU)

Thanks.... Issue is that we are getting ready to leave out on vacation Monday morning for a few thousand mile two week ride.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mr. Einzig, (hope that's your name)

In what manner is the temperature indicator not working? Does the display just show dashes or something that is not right? Does the button bring up something and then another press brings up the rear suspension setting number?

More info please.

I first thought about the plug under the dash panel, but perhaps the sensor wiring has gotten damaged.

And I'm sure that the temperature sensor feeding the dash display is the same as that which sends data to the ECM, but someone like Fred could verify that.

Hope we can answer your question.

·
Vendor
22,100 Posts
The ambient air sensor that feeds the display is not used for anything else. The ECU uses a seperate sensor in the air box to read intake air temp from.

I suspect that the dealer remove the instrument cover and forgot to plug the connector back in. I have made that mistake myself. You should be able to reach under it and plug it back in.

W

·
0 Posts
My harley friend told me one day those outside temps on his ALWAYS read over 100 degrees, even on cool days.
He found out Harley mounted his sensor close the manifold....... :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personnally I use the air temperature indication as a guide early in the morning when cold, to alert me to be carful about frost on overpasses, shaded corners ect.
R,
MadMan

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I had some accessories installed on my GW. They forgot to plug in that connector for the 3 button panel. (No trip meter function or temperature.) I gave them a call and they said to bring it right back. It took about 2 minutes to walk out to the bike and reconnect the plug.

Maybe I could have done it myself. While I was there, they replaced the right handle bar end weight. One of their take-offs from installing new grips. No charge. It made me happy! :D

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
My harley friend told me one day those outside temps on his ALWAYS read over 100 degrees, even on cool days.
He found out Harley mounted his sensor close the manifold....... :roll:
I think thats a crock.... IMHO Harley doe not mount the temp sensor near the manifold..its under the dash..

cosmic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts