GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot has been written about this and I've read everything I've come across on the subject. But I don't believe that anyone has ever said that they tried just simply reversing the direction flow of the fans. I believe that all that is involved is moving two wires. Has anyone tried this? I own a 2005 gl1800 and this past Saturday I'm sure I came close to overheating, although I must say I put the bike through some rather extreme conditions. I found myself on a dirt road that wound up through some mountains, needless to say there were some times when I climbed for several miles at around 25-30 MPH. And as if the almost over-heating wasn't bad enough, just before I pulled into Julien Ca. I discovered I could'nt down shift. To make a long story short on that one, the shaft/bolt had backed out from the shifter arm and foutunately I was able to re-attach in town. :?

·
Registered
51 Posts
the pitch of the blades require that they be flipped and the wires swapped in order fpr them to move air

·
Registered
119 Posts
I experienced a similar event. My temp meter was just below max. I have since bypassed the fan relay, which is under the seat, and placed a switch in series with ground. I turn my fans on whenever I want. I had a recent circumstance to test it. While in a "parade" in August, I noticed I was starting to overheat, the needle moved one mark above center. I turned the fans on with the switch and the needle promply came back to just below center, which is where it normally is. I was tempted to let it get hotter, but we were having a ball in this parade. I don't worry about overheating anymore. Of course the fans blow out the front, I didn't change any of that, but enough airflow was provided to cool my engine off.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
This is a somewhat different application but it does work through the same method of heat/transfer and dissapation. Most replacement residential HVAC equipment blowers are reversible but thats because they are generally manufactured for multiple applications. They are meant to pull cooler air through a coil that absorbs the heat then is forced away from the equipment, not meant to push air out the coil, and they are almost identical in design to a radiator. And yes it does only involve the switching in positon of two wiring connectors to accomplish this. However usually the blower air flow and directional characteristics are well thought out and work most efficiently at dissapating heat in one specific direction. If you can and decide to alter this engineering design you could worsen the problem. Just a thought, hope it help you. T.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It has been tried. If you reverse the direction of the fans by switching the wires without turning the fan blades around. You will run hot at an idle when the bike is not moving. The fans blades are in the shape of an airfoil (airplane wing) and only move air efficiently when rotating in the correct direction.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Motorcycleboy is correct if the fan blades are truly like a propeller, which is really a wing. I used to fly RC airplanes and the first pusher-prop plane I built I put the pusher propeller on the same way I always did, with the writing on the prop facing the front of the engine. That plane could barely move even at full throttle. Turn the prop around and it flew like a "scalded dog"!

Reversing just the direction of the blowers will probably reduce efficiency 90+%.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I said almost over-heat, the only thing that did not happen is the lose of coolant. The temp indicator made it to the red zone and maybe a little past. Looks like my question about only reversing the air flow will not work. The idea of being able to switch the fans on by a swich sounds like a neat idea, but at what speed do the fans remain on until.
Louis

·
Registered
119 Posts
OVER HEAT

If you "switch" your fans, they stay on until you turn them off. The only negative here is that the fans blow the air to the front of the bike, against windflow (would like to talk to Mother Honda about that brilliant idea!) The only reason I can think of for the front flow vs side flow is that the hot air may be too unconfortable for the driver, but I don't know. Can't be any worse than any other bike I've owned. Cajun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts