GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 model 1800 and have read about over heating issues that were corrected by a recall. How do I tell if mine was looked at or corrected before I bought it. The frame recall was done as there is a mark on the vin plate indicating it. I have had several times the engine temp gets higher than normal especially when riding at low speeds under 10 miles an hour. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Terry

·
Registered
593 Posts
Check your reservoir bottle (left side ) You might be a bit low in coolant. Be sure to use the correct coolant. I added a pint to the reservoir and no more over heating issues.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Terry,

Any Honda Dealer can run your VIN, and give you your service history. Best way to be sure.

Bulldog

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
I have an 03 model 1800 and have read about over heating issues that were corrected by a recall. How do I tell if mine was looked at or corrected before I bought it. The frame recall was done as there is a mark on the vin plate indicating it. I have had several times the engine temp gets higher than normal especially when riding at low speeds under 10 miles an hour. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Terry
You will at times see it heat when running that slow. The fans should kick in. If you stop the fans will cool it down, if you speed up it will cool down on it's own. The problem occurs when the bike is moving slowly and the fan 'pressure' and the air pressure from moving forward cancel each other out. (no air movement and the temperature climbs)

·
Vendor
18,447 Posts
Also, the radiators on older Wings become inefficent due to road grease in the rad fins. To correct the problem, they need to be removed and cleaned. Home Dept sells a spray cleaner for home a/c units. You can remove them and take them to a quarter wash, spray them with the cleaner, and pressure wash them clean. Make sure your system is holding pressure by pressure testing the cap and the system itself. Inspect the recovery hose that goes to the resevior, often the rubber is old and cracked.

Hopefully, the coolant has been flushed every 2yrs or 24k regularly.

G

·
There is only one fix for the overheat and this is to swap over the fan blades. Anything else is just a temp band-aid. The fans run backward against natural airflow.
This is just one of those bean counter issues where it's cheaper to put stock fans in rather than corrected ones. Some day in the future when the wing get a total remake the fans may be put in correctly.

On the good side once you do the real correction the overheat issues go away forever.

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
I know the Love Bug problem down there in Florida is bad and maybe your roads are way greasy; but that sounds like way too much work and over kill to boot. In spring, we get various concentrated "hatches" of midges and assorted bugs that make lots of shellack as they dry. They do get trapped in the radiator fins, not from the reversed fan direction, but from the air stream during cruising. This and road grime can be flushed away pretty easy without disassembly. I use a small pump-up spray tank as is common with home mixed Round-Up or wet applied insectacid; mine is a two gallon one that looks like the old fashioned soada fire extinguisher. Into that I dump 1 quart of 2% hydorgen peroxide and 1 teaspoon full of dishwashing soap such as Palmolive or Dawn. Open the spray nozzle to a stream and pump-it-up. The firm spray penetrates the fins all the way through; let is soak for a half hour and the shellack and grease risne right out with ordinary garden hose.

prs

Also, the radiators on older Wings become inefficent due to road grease in the rad fins. To correct the problem, they need to be removed and cleaned. Home Dept sells a spray cleaner for home a/c units. You can remove them and take them to a quarter wash, spray them with the cleaner, and pressure wash them clean. Make sure your system is holding pressure by pressure testing the cap and the system itself. Inspect the recovery hose that goes to the resevior, often the rubber is old and cracked.

Hopefully, the coolant has been flushed every 2yrs or 24k regularly.

G

·
This is a good process as I do hose mine clean about one a month. No disassembly should ever be required unless a bird gets stuck in there :?

I added screens to the intakes to keep big bugs and small bird out. I just used some of the home leaf gutter guard screen.

I guess at 109k I should flush the coolant - I'll wait for winter and do it then.;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
overheat issue

Thanks for all the advise and ideas. Terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts