GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my recent return trip from the Black Hills, while driving at night I noticed the Overdrive lamp was lit. It is brighter when in fifth gear, but still dimly lit when not. It is totally off when the bike is first started but over time starts to grow to the dimly lit state.

Anybody ever witnessed this?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
On my recent return trip from the Black Hills, while driving at night I noticed the Overdrive lamp was lit. It is brighter when in fifth gear, but still dimly lit when not. It is totally off when the bike is first started but over time starts to grow to the dimly lit state.

Anybody ever witnessed this?
It may be time to replace your gear position switch or it's harness connector may have some corrosion in it. It should only be lit when in 5th gear.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
:agree: But not a critical thing to do - wait till you have the front apart for clutch fluid bleed or something else unless you're bored.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I had a 1100 that would do that with the neutral light, it would glow bright in neutral, and glow very dim when in any gear.

I put some Sea Foam in the oil about 100 miles before it was due for a change, it cleared up the problem.

Add the Sea Foam and go for a nice leisurely ride for about 100 miles.

Oil will come out very black when drained.

Worth a try.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
I had a 1100 that would do that with the neutral light, it would glow bright in neutral, and glow very dim when in any gear.

I put some Sea Foam in the oil about 100 miles before it was due for a change, it cleared up the problem.

Add the Sea Foam and go for a nice leisurely ride for about 100 miles.

Oil will come out very black when drained.

Worth a try.
The gear position switch that provides a ground to the gauge assembly to light this light and the neutral light is not affected by the engine oil, it's a sealed switch and is only inside the engine cover so that the shift drum can turn it. You could fill the engine with water and the switch wouldn't care. :shock:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
The gear position switch that provides a ground to the gauge assembly to light this light and the neutral light is not affected by the engine oil, it's a sealed switch and is only inside the engine cover so that the shift drum can turn it. You could fill the engine with water and the switch wouldn't care. :shock:
The switch in the 1100 was in the oil, just figured the 1800 was too.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
The switch in the 1100 was in the oil, just figured the 1800 was too.
That's cool, I had a Virago once that had a neutral switch on the bottom of the block and it was supposed to be sealed, but I had to change it twice due to oil getting into it and causing it to malfunction.:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts