GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone explain the overdrive to me. I thought it had five gears only.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
It does have five gears..the fifth one is dubbed "overdrive".......it's a buzz word for the sales and marketing schemes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what a overdrive is. I didnt find one on the bike whe i rode it. 5 gears. How can the fifth gear be an overdrive ? Thats just the fifth gear. To me i really think the bike could use a sixth gear.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most bike have five gears. Theres nothing overdrive about that. In fact it would help if it had a sixth gear. I drove one. I thought there was a switch or something that made it drop into another gear. If theres only five gears to that bike then theres no overdrive. Its hipe like the man said. People here own the 1800. THEY WOULD NO.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange ! to say the gear ratio makes a overdrive on that bike . Standard five gears. Another overdrive seprate. Now thats overdrive. Anyho . I just thought it would have a sixth gear as overdrive.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
G-Funk said:
Most bike have five gears. Theres nothing overdrive about that. In fact it would help if it had a sixth gear. I drove one. I thought there was a switch or something that made it drop into another gear. If theres only five gears to that bike then theres no overdrive. Its hipe like the man said. People here own the 1800. THEY WOULD NO.
It doesn't matter how many gears there are. If you have the engine turning slower than the drive shaft, it's overdrive. I had a friend with an old Toyota Landcruiser that was a three speed with an overdrive. According to your logic it didn't have an overdrive, but it did.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
overdrive

I'm not sure if the Wings 5th gear actually qualifies as an overdrive. Typically overdrive is a very tall gear ratio meant to lower rpm at cruising speed and improve mpg.

·
Registered
601 Posts
OD should drop you back to 2000 RPM's at roughly 70 MPH...
The one on the Goldwing keeps you at just over 3000 RPM..
(would get a lot better MPG at the lower RPM's)

I agree, we need a 6th gear... we can call it Over Over Drive 8)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats what im saying. I would think an OVERDRIVE would come after the fifth gear. Why try to sell an overdrive to the public like that ? Thats like saying the new Harley has an overdrive now just becaus the motor turns slower than the chain. That bike does need a sixth gear but is not going to happen. Maybe thats the reason they came up with this overdrive hype.
It's always something ! Still a nice bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rastoff said:
G-Funk said:
It doesn't matter how many gears there are. If you have the engine turning slower than the drive shaft, it's overdrive. I had a friend with an old Toyota Landcruiser that was a three speed with an overdrive. According to your logic it didn't have an overdrive, but it did.
A simple concept, that seems lost on the masses!!!

:croc:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Same message as Bibleman but said differently. Any vehicle with an "Overdrive" spins the drive shaft faster than the engine. Check the gear ratios and you will see. 3 gears or 6, if the driveshaft is spinning faster that the motor it is considered an overdrive. Honda matched the final drive ration to engine torque to match overall performance / fuel economy / comfort, etc... Nascar transmissions are limited to a 1 to 1 ration in 4th gear, (i think) but use different rear diff ration to get the top speed they need. Daytona is different than Bristol. Smaller engines with limited torque bands need more gears.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmmmmm :?
Maybe some remedial engineering classes or just a few copies of Hot Rod magazine from the 50's could enlighten the GWR masses? :wink:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SALE'S HYPE ! I would be willing to say that that DRIVE SHAFT is flying at fifth gear. Some can sit on here till the cow's come home and everyone knows it's a sale hype.
All I was wanting to know was if there was a sixth gear and if SOME think remarks like that makes you look smarter. YOUR WRONG ! Positive remarks or no remrks are nice . Thank you.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I'm gonna wake you up early
Cause I'm gonna take a ride with you
We're going down to the Honda shop
I'll tell you what we're gonna do
Put on a ragged sweatshirt
I'll take you anywhere you want me to

First gear (Honda Honda) it's alright (faster faster)
Second gear (little Honda Honda) I lean right (faster faster)
Third gear (Honda Honda) hang on tight (faster faster)
Faster it's alright

It's not a big motorcycle
Just a groovy little motorbike
It's more fun that a barrel of monkeys
That two wheel bike
We'll ride on out of the town
To any place I know you like

Faster it's alright

It climbs the hills like a Matchless
Cause my Honda's built really light
When I go into the turns
Lean [Tilt] with me and hang on tight
I better turn on the lights
So we can ride my Honda tonight

Faster it's alright

Faster it's alright

Sorry for the interuption. Reading this just reminded me of this song, and I thought I'd share it with you. :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
G-Funk said:
Would someone explain the overdrive to me. I thought it had five gears only.
G-Funk said:
All I was wanting to know was if there was a sixth gear and if SOME think remarks like that makes you look smarter. YOUR WRONG ! Positive remarks or no remrks are nice . Thank you.
I see you are new to the board, so I can't understand why are you getting your panties all in a wad. These guys have been trying to help you understand. I don't think anyone was trying to "look smarter."

You need to calm down and get acquainted with us.

Assuming you have a Gold Wing, apparently you have never looked at your owner's manual. In the 2005 Owner's manual on page 65 under the heading Shifting Gears you will note that is no 5th gear. There are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and OD.

Again assuming you have a Gold Wing, when you shift from 4th to OD, you will notice at the bottom center of your speeometer the letters "OD" in amber. That stands for overdrive.

Now, relax and go for a ride. Leave your trans in 4th and ride 70 mph for a few miles. Then shift into OD. Did you notice the difference?

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
G-Funk said:
SALE'S HYPE ! I would be willing to say that that DRIVE SHAFT is flying at fifth gear. Some can sit on here till the cow's come home and everyone knows it's a sale hype.
First gear = 2.375 to 1 (actually taller than a 1500)
Second gear = 1.454 to 1
Third gear = 1.068 to 1 ( this is very close to direct drive)
Fourth gear = 0.843 to 1 ( this is actual overdrive)
Fifth gear = 0.686 to 1 ( even more overdrive)

Direct drive is 1 to 1 ratio, anthing over that is overdrive. If you think its all sales hype then you don't know what overdrive means.

If you think dropping the rpms with a taller overdrive would help the gas mileage or performance you are purely speculating unless you are an engineer that has done extensive testing and research on all the factors that control the performance of the machine. That would include, ignition timing, fuel system mapping, cams, compression ratios, gear ratios plus a whole lot more stuff I dont know anything about. Just dropping the rpms could put it out of it's correct operating range and make things a whole lot worse.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
jonniedee said:
Hmmmmm :?
Maybe some remedial engineering classes or just a few copies of Hot Rod magazine from the 50's could enlighten the GWR masses? :wink:
My schools taught me that if I read Hot Rod magazine I would waste my mind. Obviously, I didn't listen. I am now wasting away. :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts