GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering, what happens if I overfill the tank, to about 1" from the brim? Dose the excess gas dump out on the ground? Go into a charcoal can? Remain in the tank where it belongs?

Asking for a friend. LOL

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I top off every time I gas up. Stays in the tank. As far as I can tell.

Reactions: cycledude and DocD

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
If you fill to the bottom of the filler neck, you're generally ok. If you force fill above that point, there's the potential for fuel to be forced into the vent and then the charcoal filter. If you get fuel in there, you will notice a constant fuel smell as if you'd spilled fuel over the tank. It takes a while for that filter to clear the fumes. It also makes it difficult for the fuel to draw since there's no vent to prevent a vacuum from developing in the tank, which may cause poor performance for a bit. As long as you don't fill up to the cap, you should be fine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just wondering, what happens if I overfill the tank, to about 1" from the brim? Dose the excess gas dump out on the ground? Go into a charcoal can? Remain in the tank where it belongs?

Asking for a friend. LOL
I realize this wasn't your exact question but if you actually spill fuel out of the top (it happens) that black plastic catch pan surrounding the filler cap does have a small drain hose to the underside where it would drain out. I haven't had my GW long enough to know all it's behaviours when fueling, but with my H-D it was sometime hard to tell when I was getting close to the top. I'd fill, stop, bump the bike to burp it, repeat... and then sometiems gas sorta shot up and out. Operator error.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If you do it too often, you will see fuel spilling out on the ground, specially on a hot day. Once the can gets full, that’s what happens. I found that out the hard way, so now I never fill it into the neck.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'll admit to being guilty of sometimes trying to squeeze in that little bit extra, but most of the time now I just stop when it clicks off at the pump. I never ride far enough without stopping for fuel that I am down to the fumes, so topping off really doesn't make sense. Maybe if I ever find myself in a place where there might be no gas stations for many miles I might push for a maximum fill when I can, but I have yet to find myself in such a place.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
On the occasion when you do unintentionally overfill immediately leave the filling station and ride the bike as if you just stole it for at least 25 miles. The fuel level in the tank will drop slightly below the fill neck :wink2:.

·
Vendor
22,067 Posts
If you saturate the charcoal canister with liquid gas, it will pretty much make it ineffective as the charcoal will become overloaded with gas and won't be able to do its job of absorbing gas fumes. Another point worth mentioning is that the vent hose that comes out of the top of the tank is very purposely snaked into a U turn and pinned to the top of the gas receptacle. This is done to act like a trap to try to prevent raw gas from getting to the canister. Sometimes when owners do their own maintenance they don't get this hose properly re positioned and it can lead to problems. So you should pay attention to the hose routing when you remove and reinstall your top shelter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts