GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overheating at low speeds ?

ADDED
In stop & go traffic. 3 others experience the same.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Low or inadequate coolant. Add or replace if you haven't done so in the last two years.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Under 12 mph the cooling fans will come on. over 12 they do not. so if your driving 13 mph bike will get warm until you get enough air flow thru the front of the bike. So it is my opinion, which is not worth that much anyway, that you have to speed up or slow down.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mine never overheats...that is if I rely on the temp gauge, that is forever in the same position.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
You could need to clean the dead bugs out of the radiator fins!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In stop & go traffic. 3 others experience the same.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
No offense, if you write in complete sentences we could better help you. Why do you think it was overheating? What symptoms were you seeing? What were the conditions you were riding in? When was the last time your cooling system was inspected? It should be done very 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Overheating was a hot topic several years ago. I did some testing on my 2004 and verified that it will indeed overheat under the right (er wrong) conditions. I rode up a long steep hill on a warm ~90 degree day going between 15 and 20 mph in second gear for about maybe 5 minutes, I didn't let the radiator boil over but it certainly would have if I had continued on in the same riding mode. I witnessed a similar worrisome rise in temperature while moving through downtown Birmingham, AL on a hot day. I had to pull into a gas station to let the engine cool down. These circumstances are admittedly extreme, but I do believe the cooling system of at least the early models is just barely adequate.

No, the coolant was not low. The bike was approximately new.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yup, in the right (wrong) conditions, they will begin to overheat. I owned my first 1800 for two years before it happened to me.....and so I thought it was a myth. Drive between 5 and 15 MPH far enough, and regardless of ambient temperature, the gauge will begin to climb. The forward motion of the bike cancels the airflow from the fans, and things begin to get hot.

I bought a 2007 and sold my 2002. The larger radiators on the 07 where supposed to have cured the problem, but it didn't.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
what exactly do you mean by overheating?

- did temp gauge get into red? (it got hot, but system is still working)
- did it puke out coolant? (then it did overheat)

I had mine into the red once while climbing Pikes Peak, but the bike still ran fine, no fluid loss, once stopped at the top, it slowly returned to normal

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
My temp guage goes to the first mark below the middle mark and stays there even if the fans come on. It hasn't moved from that spot since I bought it in Feb. Yesterday I was riding in 90-100 deg. temps and guage never moved, what's up with that?

·
Registered
868 Posts
my temp gauge has climbed to the red twice, once while struggling up the back side of mount lemon and the other time riding up fish creek hill, both times very slow gong and very steep incline

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
My temp guage goes to the first mark below the middle mark and stays there even if the fans come on. It hasn't moved from that spot since I bought it in Feb. Yesterday I was riding in 90-100 deg. temps and guage never moved, what's up with that?
That's normal. The gauge stays at that mark and does not move from 159 to 217 degrees F. The fans come on at 212, the red mark is at 250 and it boils (is actually overheated) at 270.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
contrary to what some say it has been and is an ongoing problem for many. It is on my 03 and always has been. The amount or newness of the coolant has nothing to do with it. Do the right speed under the right conditions and it will overheat. Stop and go traffic will make mine go every time. I haven't puked coolant but have taken the gauge to the top on many occasions. The hotter it is the worse it gets. At highway speeds no problem. 15 to 20 mph and it is.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Wayne...You still overheating going up Mingus Mountain?? Maybe it was just following my slow butt that caused it.

My 07 (knock on wood) has never overheated, even when fellow riders bike (03) was cookin'...haven't heard much about the larger radiator equipped bikes having the problem.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
It shouldn't move. Do your cars temp guauges move, I know mine doesn't. Means that the thermostate and cooling system is working correctly.

I do know that on my old O5' I could get the guage to move like OldGuy describes. That does not mean the bike has overheated. Means the engine was getting hot. If it doesn't puke coolant it didn't overheat. From everything I can tell the guauges on the older models were just to damn sensitive and would worry the owners for no reason.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine has done it twice and both times it was hot out and I was in Rush hour traffic. going 10 miles a hour give or twke asnd the gauge slowly creeped up to the top. I took a off ramp at 40 and coasted into a gas station and had a cool soda while it sat and cooled down
The issue seems to be fairly common for those in hot weather and slow traffic

·
Registered
17,144 Posts
I have an '02 that was not subjected to the "improvement" campaign. It would peg the needle in parade mode even it was not too hot outside. I flushed the cooling system, checked the water capacity of the heads per Fred's photo journal and changed to Evans NPG+. Under extreme parade mode rinding it will still bury the needle (the needle actually goes totally out of sight at the top), but it will not boil over and the motor block temps by infra red and head temps by infra red hardly rise at all. On one of their hottest days at Mt Washington in slow heavy traffic I went clear to the top non stop with that overly sensitive gague buried for most of the way. Other bikes and cars were pulled over to cool, and some cars were losing the coolant; but the GL did not miss a beat all the way up to the conscesion stand where you are not supposed to go ;-) By the time I got back to the parking area it was mostly back down to the sweet spot on the gague. Similar experience on a steep heavily graveled road from Natural Bridge, VA up to the BRP in first gear all the way.

The gague reads the coolant temp close to the outlets of head water jackets and that is the hottest area. BUT, if coolant boils, steam covers the heads and steam is a very poor coolant and heads will warp. If you start to lose coolant in a boil-over, pull off the road immediately and let it idle with fans running -- DO NOT turn the engine off as long as there is coolant left.

prs

1 - 20 of 31 Posts