GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it finally happened... my iPhone shutdown the other day from becoming too hot while in the cubby. This is the first time this has happened to me (it actually happened twice that day). I sort of solved the issue by opening the cubby to expose the iPhone while riding on down the road. Obviously, having the cubby lid flapping in the breeze is not a look to attract the babes - it just looks like your fly is open or something. Interestingly enough, the iPhone actually presented an error message on the bike's console screen, and, of course, ACP quit working. It did take a few minutes of continued riding to cool the iPhone down enough to restart ACP. BTW, I did have the phone sitting in the foam holder as that's about all that I keep in the cubby except for a tube of chap stick, you know, for the ladies.

Anyways, I remember a thread wherein various mitigation protocols were espoused on heat management. What I don't recall is if there were any methods employed that actually worked and do not involve the installation of external cooling (like on modern expensive personal computers)? I realize I can move the phone to an external mount, but that's not something I really want to do. There was mention of drilling holes in the cubby itself. Has anyone actually done that and does it work? Where did you drill the hole(s)? I really want to keep the phone in the cubby as a primary goal (I'm embarrassed by riding around with my lid flapping about, plus I look at the console screen often enough that I don't really need another screen to distract me - my attention is easily distracted by pretty colors, blond hair, sashaying hips and computer monitors - it's a sign of the times).

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
"my attention is easily distracted by pretty colors, blond hair, sashaying hips and computer monitors - it's a sign of the times)"

Sounds like there's more than an iPhone overheating! :LOL: Sorry, can't answer your original question but hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Was your phone display turned on? My XS max is barely warm when using google maps with my Otterbox defender case. After CarPlay is working I click the display off

·
Registered
22 Posts
You might try removing the rubber grommet covering the right rear hole in the cubby. That might allow a little more airflow. I don't know if that will be sufficient to keep your phone from overheating, but it's a quick, easy and cheap solution if it does.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I also have an Otterbox defender. My XS has never overheated and shutdown while riding but it did once when I forget and left it in the cubby while in the driveway for over an hour.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was your phone display turned on? My XS max is barely warm when using google maps with my Otterbox defender case. After CarPlay is working I click the display off
I don't think the display was on. It usually turns off after an amount of time, but I'll have to check that situation. Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't think the display was on. It usually turns off after an amount of time, but I'll have to check that situation. Thanks.
When you plug your phone in, it may activate CarPlay and that causes the screen to come on. I have to remember to turn my screen off, before closing the lid.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Can't you simply visualize the phone ambient temp (on GW screen) and open the cubby door only when needed?
Assuming there is an "app" for that...

·
Registered
511 Posts
So, it finally happened... my iPhone shutdown the other day from becoming too hot while in the cubby. This is the first time this has happened to me (it actually happened twice that day). I sort of solved the issue by opening the cubby to expose the iPhone while riding on down the road. Obviously, having the cubby lid flapping in the breeze is not a look to attract the babes - it just looks like your fly is open or something. Interestingly enough, the iPhone actually presented an error message on the bike's console screen, and, of course, ACP quit working. It did take a few minutes of continued riding to cool the iPhone down enough to restart ACP. BTW, I did have the phone sitting in the foam holder as that's about all that I keep in the cubby except for a tube of chap stick, you know, for the ladies.

Anyways, I remember a thread wherein various mitigation protocols were espoused on heat management. What I don't recall is if there were any methods employed that actually worked and do not involve the installation of external cooling (like on modern expensive personal computers)? I realize I can move the phone to an external mount, but that's not something I really want to do. There was mention of drilling holes in the cubby itself. Has anyone actually done that and does it work? Where did you drill the hole(s)? I really want to keep the phone in the cubby as a primary goal (I'm embarrassed by riding around with my lid flapping about, plus I look at the console screen often enough that I don't really need another screen to distract me - my attention is easily distracted by pretty colors, blond hair, sashaying hips and computer monitors - it's a sign of the times).

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.
Maybe put it your pocket while riding ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had mine overheat a couple times as well in the Phoenix summer heat. I have removed mine from the phone case and then put in the cubby (not in that foam thingy) and that seems to help.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Take it out of the foam overcoat, and it will be fine. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dito, take it out of the foam holder. Also, if you have a Tour, you can buy the Airbag model cable and place the port in the trunk. That is what i did, no more overheating and the phone is locked if I leave the bike at a gas stop to go inside.Have not had any overheating issues since moving it into the trunk, and its been a heat index of 103 here in East Texas the past couple of weeks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I take one of those 1/2 water bottles and put it in the freezer. I then take it out, put it in a ziplock and put it in the phone compartment on the day of a ride. It will usually last 5 hours or so. Side benefit is having ice water if needed. I haven't had an overheated phone since I have started this and I have also gotten rid of the foam phone holder, which might help prevent against shocks, but also keeps heat trapped inside the phone.

·
Vendor
21,760 Posts
I think the best fix is going to be to remove the phone from the pocket altogether and put it somewhere else, like mounted on the handlebars. That's probably what I'm going to do as soon as I get a break from working on other peoples bikes. :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, not a good test, but I did make sure the screen display was off when I went riding today. It wasn't that hot so, like I said, not a good test, but the phone didn't overheat. I think I'll try not putting it in the foam holder as well. I really don't want to move it to the handlebars, though that's just a personal preference. No reason I couldn't. I have a tour model, but relocating to the trunk is also out of the question. I think I'll just ride when it cool :cool: (can't really do that down in the South, what with global warming and all). Thanks for all the suggestions. Maybe I should just get a cool phone... that should solve the problem :)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I moved mine to the right side bar with a quad lock mount. I like it there so I can use the Cardo app. I had the zagg glass cover on my iPhone crack from heat in the cubbie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have gone through all of the above. I have the airbag model phone holder in the trunk and the Goldstrike/Ciro mount on handlebars. Last ride in 95deg the phone overheated in the trunk. I moved it to the handlebars and all good. If you decide to move to the trunk and purchase the Honda USB cable get the right one. USB 1 is indexed different from USB 2. The accessory USB cable for the saddlebag won’t work. You need to get the USB cable for the airbag model. I ran a data capable USB extension from the cubby to the trunk. Now I have three locations to put the phone. My screen has always been on. Next time I will turn it off to see if the trunk mount will be good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts