GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Could use some help with a problem that happened yesterday on a ride.
We are traveling through Arizona, the temperature was 90 and we were going up a steep incline at about 25MPH for a distance of 2 to 3 miles in a park. I heard the fans come on so I looked at the temp gauge and it was at the 2nd mark above the center line ( had the bike since new and it has a 100,000 miles on it and this is first time it ever overheated). The fans only stayed on for a few minutes and then shut off. The temp was still very high.
This was a very narrow road with plenty of sharp turns so I had to keep traveling to find a safe place to pull off.
Then the fans came on again and this time stayed on and the temp with back to normal before we reached the top of the hill.
I checked the coolant ..it was at the proper level
I change my coolant every 2 years
Why did the fans shut off the first time?
Should I be concerned?
Thanks in advance for your help
Paddy

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sounds normal to me. You didn't actually encounter overheat if it did not enter red area of gauge. At slow speed the fans won't run above about 18 MPH so you slowed enough to let the fans come on then most likely got back above 18 MPH and they kicked off. Its the way the 1800 is designed. When temp rise much above center you might have to pull over and increase RPM and let the fans run until the temperature settles back to normal.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds normal to me. You didn't actually encounter overheat if it did not enter red area of gauge. At slow slow speed the fans won't run above about 18 MPH so you slowed enough to let the fans come on then most likely got above back above 18 MPH and they kicked off. Its the way the 1800 is designed. When temp rise much above center you might have to pull over and and increase RPM and let the fans run until the temperature settles back to normal.
That was great information... thank you so much
Paddy

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
It happens because the fans blow out the front and certain speeds cause dead air. They have a name for it, it's called "parade".

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Living in Arizona I had the problem all the time. If I drove a protracted time at 20 or less it overheated. I never lost coolant but I had to pull over more than once. Some bikes are worse than others and mine was one of those. My 08 does not seem to have the problem although I'm sure I could make it happen if I so desired

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Sounds normal for the situation you described.

We notice that our '03, with the older, smaller cooling system, is more likely to do that than the '08.

Leaving it running like you did is the correct way to deal with the situation.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Same with my wing below 30km/h fans dont work, freaked me out on a 104F day stuck in traffic sitting on about 35kmh til I learnt about the low speed cut off so now if I get stuck riding slow I just sit between 25 and 29kmh

sent from the wingphone

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
here you go. Notice the fan on and of points and also that the red mark is 20 deg F below the boiling point of a 50-50 coolant mix. And that the gauge is an idiot light between 159 and 217 deg.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
03 178,000 miles 90 to 100 temp at 75mph temp rises rapidly to last line before red.

I purchased this bike 4 months ago. Went on several rides where temp is above 100. At 75 mph the temp rises rapidly to last line before red and in between these lines. I slow down and it drops to top line and holds. Just had coolant changed yesterday. Did a test ride, same results. However when I slowed down to 65 the temp dropped to between top line and second to top line. In town temp stays at half way.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I purchased this bike 4 months ago. Went on several rides where temp is above 100. At 75 mph the temp rises rapidly to last line before red and in between these lines. I slow down and it drops to top line and holds. Just had coolant changed yesterday. Did a test ride, same results. However when I slowed down to 65 the temp dropped to between top line and second to top line. In town temp stays at half way.
Try cleaning the radiators with a hose spraying water throough them from outside in, sounds like you have limited airflow across the cooling fins, bugs, leaves?. Maybe reset the ecm also: without ever touching the throttle, start the bike cold, let it idle til the fans come on, shut it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
still getting hot

I washed out radiators not much debris. Did the start without touching the throttle, the fans came on. The guage was right at half way. Took for a ride no differance.
More info. The original owner is a Honda Goldwing mechanic. He put most of the miles on this bike. He was struck by a car at a signal light. He took the insurance money and bought a new bike. He sold the bike to my friend and they both took it apart and fixed it like brand new. The original owner said that the water pump and hoses have never been changed. Likely this is the problem.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2001, there was a service bulletin on it. Changed out the ECM, nare a problem since at any speed!

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Agree that the OP's bike did NOT over heat. The full range of the temp gauge is safe right up to and beyond H with typical 50/50 coolant blend. Over heating is the range above H and in a true sense is when the coolant in the heads boils and makes steam. Steam forces liquid coolant away from the surfaces of the heads that most desperately need cooled, steam is a lousy coolant and temps thus skyrocket to levels way beyond operational normal, even double +. The steam also causes your expansion/recovery tank to forcibly spew coolant, lots of it! That is over-heating. Over heating in parade mode as Waldo described is the typical experience. Over heating at higher speeds is a sign of blocked air to the radiators or blocked radiation fins (bugs, leaves, dirt), or reduced flow of coolant such as worn out pump or corrosion blocked passages (coolant blended with tap water). About pulling over to cool down due to parade mode heating, DO NOT stop the engine (water pump). Let it idle with fans on; better yet, if possible, shift up and increase your speed.

prs

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
One other thing to add to the possibilities of overheating at speed could be a leaking head gasket. I had a GL1200 that had the same symptom and finally blew the gasket when I was playing close to triple digit. With coolant everywhere, I was surprised I didn't go down. I also killed every mosquito in Tyler Co, WV. :lol:

·
Registered
706 Posts
One other thing to add to the possibilities of overheating at speed could be a leaking head gasket. I had a GL1200 that had the same symptom and finally blew the gasket when I was playing close to triple digit. With coolant everywhere, I was surprised I didn't go down. I also killed every mosquito in Tyler Co, WV. :lol:
That's funny!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,193 Posts
Your thermostat is stuck closed or partially closed, it drops temp when you slow down because the engine isn't working as hard and generating as much heat.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Hmmmmmmm. Good point TD! Do you happen to know if our thermostats are "fail safe" or is it possible for them to fail in closed position? Failing in a partly open position would be odd, what would you suspect? A broken spring or some debris on the seat and a fail closed fault? My memory fails me at times, but I think our thermostat is under the water pump housing; if so it would be somewhat of a PIA to check.

prs

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,193 Posts
Hmmmmmmm. Good point TD! Do you happen to know if our thermostats are "fail safe" or is it possible for them to fail in closed position? Failing in a partly open position would be odd, what would you suspect? A broken spring or some debris on the seat and a fail closed fault? My memory fails me at times, but I think our thermostat is under the water pump housing; if so it would be somewhat of a PIA to check.

prs
No it's not a fail safe and it's inside the 2 halves of the water pump. It could just have corrosion on the spring side of it keeping it from opening. It sits inside the pump where the large hose from the "Y" fitting connects to it on the top front side. It's not something I would just check, after removing the shelter and gas tank just to get to it, I'm changing it no matter what. With this symptom, it's probably a good idea to thoroughly check out the pump as well.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I have changed mine and still don't recall the exact location; but the inlet to the pump sounds right :oops:

If I suspected corrosion could be involved, I would drain the system and use a safe flush agent on a short trip of an hour or so and then drain/flush again with distilled water before re-charge with pre-mix. That way you are starting with a clean system and may even have the problem solved.

prs

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,193 Posts
I have changed mine and still don't recall the exact location; but the inlet to the pump sounds right :oops:

If I suspected corrosion could be involved, I would drain the system and use a safe flush agent on a short trip of an hour or so and then drain/flush again with distilled water before re-charge with pre-mix. That way you are starting with a clean system and may even have the problem solved.

prs
Did you change the pump or just the thermostat and why?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts