GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone get an owners or service manual for their Motor Trike conversion? I called the dealer that I purchased the trike from, and he said he did not think there was such a thing. When I asked him about the tire air pressure or ride suspension pressure, he said I was the first person to ask those questions. The installer had left for the day. The service department said to"air them up to the pressure on the tire." I also asked about any type of registration card for the conversion, and he said that the bike paperwork was it. Also, has anyone had a problem with the lower trunk lid leaking when washing the trike? Just thought I would querry the experts before I contacted Motor Trike. I can't be the first person to address this issue, but I will appreciate any input the forum may provide.

Paul

Ride to live, live to ride. :lol:

·
Registered
251 Posts
It depends who made your trike if you get a manual. You can find out almost anything you want to know on this forum. Who is the mfg of your ride?
Capt Bob

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I received no manual or warranty paperwork on my Motor Trike. I have a bill of sale, but that is it. Air in the rear tires should be 24-26 and 41 in the front. If you air them to the printed tire pressure, it will ride like a tank! So much for your service department. This air pressure came from my installer and I also called MT and they confirmed the air pressure. I always forget to ask my installer about a manual, ( I doubt there is one), warranty paperwork or card. MT gives a three year or 60,000 mile warranty, but I would bet a cool refreshment they have no idea when my bike was triked or the mileage on the two wheeler when the work was done. Hey, I think I will call MT tomorrow...and I bet I get the run around....depending on who you talk to there.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Wannabe said:
Did anyone get an owners or service manual for their Motor Trike conversion? I called the dealer that I purchased the trike from, and he said he did not think there was such a thing. When I asked him about the tire air pressure or ride suspension pressure, he said I was the first person to ask those questions. The installer had left for the day. The service department said to"air them up to the pressure on the tire." I also asked about any type of registration card for the conversion, and he said that the bike paperwork was it. Also, has anyone had a problem with the lower trunk lid leaking when washing the trike? Just thought I would querry the experts before I contacted Motor Trike. I can't be the first person to address this issue, but I will appreciate any input the forum may provide.

Paul

Ride to live, live to ride. :lol:

Paul,

There is no real owners manual for the Motor Trike. There is a Registration Card that comes with the kit and it should be filled out and sent to MT. I sent mine in and they have a record of every thing that I have had to get done under warranty. I have attached a copy of the "PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE" Sheet that you should have also receive from your Installer. If you got the above information from him, I would tend to think that they really don't have a clue. Just as a for instance if you put the 35 Lbs in the rear tires and 0 or 10 Lbs in the suspension, the Trike will become unstable at hi-way speeds on an uneven road, due to excessive rear end bounce. Not to mention you would have to strap yourself on to it.

The AIR Pressure is expressed in the PM Sheet below also.

I would call MT, and get the straight skinny on weather your information is there, and or ask if they would send you a registration card, and see if they can look up the rear-end number for you to put on the card.

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE

1. The brakes will need to be adjusted at the 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 mile points or until the brakes have seated. The drum brakes on the rear are equipped with self adjusters, but they will not work due to the light weight of the trike. The brakes will need to be adjusted with a brake spoon. The correct process is to lift the rear end in the air. Remove the rubber adjustment hole cover. It is rectangular in size and about 1” in width. Spin the wheel and adjust the brakes slowly until the wheel starts to drag. The wheel should be able to spin freely for 270 degrees. If the wheel was a clock, it would start at 12 and stop at 9 o’clock. Reinstall the rubber and repeat process on the other wheel.

2. Grease rear universal joint every 5,000 or when the oil is changed.

3. Inspect and tighten all jam nuts. Make sure a medium grade loctite is used.

4. Grease two swing arm pins on the shoulder where ladder bars rest every 24 months or every 15,000 miles. Also remove the front motorcycle U joint and repack splines, front and rear. Use high quality lithium grease.

5. Use a dry silicon spray to protect heim joint from wear. (3M makes this product and can be purchased at any auto supply store.)

6. The lug nut torque for the Roadhawk billet aluminum wheels is 70-85 ft. lbs. for ½ stud size.

7. Tire pressure for riding around town should be 18-24 lb. depending on geographic location and road conditions. Tire pressure for the front tire should be 42 lb.

8. You have a suspension that uses two coil over gas shocks and two air bags. The correct air pressure for the air bag is 20 lbs. with driver only. Two people would be 35 lbs and up. If you are pulling a trailer with two people, you would use 50 lbs and up.

9. Fender Bras: It is OK for your fender bras to get wet. However, you must remove them when you are finished riding for the day. If you leave wet fender bras on your trike, the paint underneath could blister and peel. Dry the fender bras and dry the body before reinstalling.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Something else that I remembered, you may want to adjust your shocks. They come stock on the bottom notch or the second notch. I set mine up to the 4th notch next to the top. That was for a little firmer ride with out too much air, and extra tire clearance in the well. I would be willing to bet that you wern't told taht there was adjustable spring over shocks on the rear end as well as air bags. If I can remember any thing else, I will post it.

Hope this is helpful

1 - 5 of 5 Posts