GL1800Riders Forums banner

Did you read the entire manual before you bought a wing?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Just the part about trailer pulling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
I didn't have access to the manual until after I had bought the bike. Do you mean to ask whether I read the manual before spending any extensive time on the bike? If so, yes, I did. Lots of time to read the manual while the snow melted! :?

Cheers,
Arthur

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I thought you had to buy the wing to get the manual, and then you could read it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure dealers and employees had access and some may have read it before the purchase.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dealer Should Read Manual

I asked several questions about the GL1800, as this is my first GoldWing.
The dealer gave several wrong answers to my very straight forward questions, i.e. - Does the radio volume change with motorcycle speed (dealer - no), Can you adjust the suspension while driving (dealer - yes), Is the intercom voice actuated, ptt or live (dealer - voice actuated & ptt).
In the first day I knew more about the GL1800 than my dealer. I hope the service department has a service manual & has looked at it :roll:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I went to the dealer and read through a couple parts of it.

A few of the questions posted here just about prove that some people don't even open it.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I have never heard of reading a manual before
buying an automobile-motorcycle-lawnmower, etc..
Heck, you can't even test drive motorcycles in my
area. The never have the oil in, no battery, and
need about 1-2 hours prep "after" you agree to buy
the motorcycle. But when you buy a Goldwing,
what is there to fear?

After driving the bike all day, I glanced through the
manual and read certain points of interests (to me).

·
Registered
561 Posts
I went over a maintence chart with the guys in the shop, the rest I had looked up online before I ever walked into the place. I bought knowing full well there were some problems with some bikes have frame cracks and overheating, but made sure that the VIN of the bike I bought was outside the range - not that this was going to do magic, but I figured it reduced the probability of either problem.

After I rode the bike home, I took out the manual and read it from cover to cover before going out on my first "pleasure" ride. Most of the information I had already seen online, but it is good to get confirmation.

The funny part, in hindsight, is that while I was waiting for the bike to get prepped, I made all the insurance arrangements and bought a Tulsa belly pan from their shelves before I even had the bike. After reading of oil filter and cooling reserve mishaps online, I wasn't going to take any chances.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I purchased the GL1800 on a Tuesday but had to wait until Friday for delivery. I asked and was given the owner's manual when I signed on the dotted line and read it cover to cover before taking delivery of the MC.

I'm pretty sure my dealer would have let me have the owners manual for review even if I hadn't bought the motorcycle. Some dealers would, some wouldn't.

I highly recommend that anyone buying a new MC do this to completely familiarize themselves with it before they get on and ride away. It's was especially helpful to me, as this was my first Goldwing and knowing what all the switches were for and where they were let me concentrate on ridng instead of figuring out how to operate things.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Andy M said:
I'm pretty sure my dealer would have let me have the owners manual for review even if I hadn't bought the motorcycle. Some dealers would, some wouldn't.
I simply walked in, popped the trunk on the nearest GL1800, took the owner's manual out of the trunk, and started thumbing through it. Salesman told me if I had any questions, or wasn't clear about anything in the manual... to let him know.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I ordered a manual from Helm, Inc. the company that sells all the other Honda publications as well as literature on many other vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am new to this motorcycle world got the bike home and read it cover to cover. The wing is food for the soul

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Brian Fenner,

Thank you for letting me know that you can "BUY" manuals, before you buy!

I think that before I purchase my next Hummer, I shall try to "Buy" the manual in advance.

Is this logical? or is this just some more Doe Skin, Gold Wing Owner Lore?

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
We're suppose to get an Owners Manual ?? :roll:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I borrowed one from the dealer before I bought just to have something to look at.
It seems that a certain liquid got spilled on it while I had it, so I bought him a new one to put in that bike and kept the stained one.

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Wot Manual

My 2004 did not come with an users manual, I made it part of the final deal that they had to supply the Electrical Diagnostic, Service and User manuals. I received them about a week later.

I had a 1990 SE before, I still learned something new every day about my 2004 without the manual (eg: on day 2, darn bike has no automatic volume control, I want my SE back! on day 3, did you know that if you pressed the volume control that it would switch to the Automatic Volume Control?). I had the auxilliary cable in before I had the users manual ... I think it was more exciting this way ;-> Besides, what Man reads instructions?

·
Registered
846 Posts
No matter what type of vehicle I buy, I always read the owners manual from cover to cover. I've read where they say its the least read book in the world. Guess I'm the exception.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts