GL1800Riders Forums banner

What type of aftermarket pipes do you have on your Wing?

• AlleyKats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Torq Masters

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this horse has been beat to death, but I'm planning on getting one or the other. Please tell me what you think about your pipes. First how loud are they, & how do they look?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Young Buck
2,569 Posts
No... tires and motor oil is what gets beaten to death... :a13:

·
Chard Member
13,222 Posts
I like my Alley Kats. They are mellow, not loud at all. They sound like glasspacks. The only time they are very loud is when you are laying into the throttle. I have at least 25,000 miles on them. Alley Kats and a Hartco seat will be the first and maybe only additions to my '05 2000cc 150hp Wing! :D

If you wear a fullface helmet or use a windshield that can double as a roof, louder pipes might not work for you. The sound will echo/resonate inside a FF helmet and behind the tall shields.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Alleykat

I like the fact that Alley kat has two desgin straight cut, which I have on mine. Turns down style which my husband has on his bike. They are stanless steel so they don't rust but they look like chrome. As far as the sound goes its a deep throaty sound (or atleast as close as you will get with a goldwing). The sound is not unpleasant or obonoxious but is difinitly louder then the standard goldwing pipes. Hope this help you decide ...

kat
2003 Candy Red

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Red, is there any resonation sound while in cruise mode? I had Mustangs on my 1500 that resonated so bad I removed and sold them after 3000 miles.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
torque masters

i had the torque masters on my bike for about a week, they were loud enough to hurt my ears, with out the baffles, i was so miserable with them i sold them within 3 days on line at a significant loss.
At a price of 469.00 one would think they would come with baffles, but do not, if you want baffles that's another 36.00 including shipping. I might add the fellow i sold them too, appears to be happy with them. If you have the big windshield, or pull a trailer, after market mufflers may not work for you imho.
JD
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

·
Registered
23 Posts
noise level

I just had both sets of pipes and the torq masters are about the same as the alleykats until I installed the 4" baffles,after that the torq master's are much quieter but louder then stock which is what I was looking for mainly to keep the other half happy. I had alleykats on my 1500 but they were not as loud as on the 1800,if I rode by myself all the time either set of pipes would have been fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Torq Masters

I am the guy who bought the Torq's from JD. I put them on in about 30 min. I installed them before the baffles arrived. I run them for about 500 miles. There was a very deep growl to the mufflers without any baffles installed. After I received the baffles, I installed them. I run the bike about 1000 miles with them installed. The Torq's with the baffles installed offer a deep growl much like the stock Valkyrie. It is quiet but louder than stock GL1800 mufflers. It is not as loud as the Alley Kats are with the baffles installed in the Torq's. I took the baffles out and made a 400 mile run this weekend. I love the sound. They sound like a mean European sports car. I have an X Tall Tulsa, ride with a Tour helmet, not full face. I can hear the CD thru the speakers or the headsets just fine. I must admit that I had strait Hard Khrome's on my cruiser. I have always liked the louder side. I do not think I will find these Torq's too loud even on a looooong trip. My wife says the same. She likes the sound of the Torq's with the baffles out.
Hope this helps.
Allan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Alley Kats

My husband and myself both had the Alley Kats put on at Daytona. We had the turn down version installed and I really like the finished look it gives the wing. MBL gave us a deal since we bought two sets and I had them install the risers at the same time. I was able to listen to the radio through the front and rear speakers on the 750 mile ride back to Richmond. I love the deep throaty sound they make.

·
Chard Member
13,222 Posts
Ed Kruse said:
Red, is there any resonation sound while in cruise mode? I had Mustangs on my 1500 that resonated so bad I removed and sold them after 3000 miles.
The only time they seem to reverb in my head is next to a concrete wall. Like I said, I never really notice them with a 3/4 helmet on. They get much louder in my head when I install the flat 5 snap faceshield I wear when when it's below 40 or in the rain. I never notice the pipes at freeway speeds.

Mufflers are like many other things for bikes, some will be happy and some won't.

·
Registered
59 Posts
got close to 50,000 on my 01 since I put the Alley Kats on and I still love them. Mine are the turndowns. I have a Hannigan cargo trailer and a Bunckhouse and don't get resonance with either. Also have the Tulsa windshield. No problems at all for my wife or myself. Good looks, good sound, good quality, good folks to do business with.
Lee

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is there any improvement in performance? (not that it is needed) or is it just the noise. Does any mapping need to be done or is this a closed system that adjusts to the change?
thnaks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is there any improvement in performance? (not that it is needed) or is it just the noise. Does any mapping need to be done or is this a closed system that adjusts to the change?
thnaks

sorry about the double post and I really don't know how it happened

·
Registered
131 Posts
AlleyKat

According to MBL,Inn. (Maruice) until the remapping cababilties are worked out. There is no improvement or loss in perfomance. Its a look and sound. Hope this answers your question Phramed...

kat
2003 Candy Red

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just installed the Torque Masters last Sunday, rode about 200 miles. Thought at first that they would be too loud but by the end of the ride they were ok. Nice sound, don't get very loud until you're in the 5000rpm range! I got the Daytona style, was worried that the turn down style would echo off of the pavement and make them too loud. So far I'm happy, I'm thinking about ordering the baffles for the Americade trip but I have plenty of time to see if they are necessary. Jimmy at Torque Master is great to deal with.

Dwight

1 - 20 of 20 Posts