GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on search for about an hour and didn't find a specific answer to a question in regards to spark plug installation just different opinions which is a good thing. Anyway, my question is in installing new plugs the Owners manual states to hand tight untill plug seats, then tighten 3/4 turn then loosen and retight 1/8 turn and your done The Honda service manual states to tourque to 13 ft lbs ( not sure if it's talking about new plugs or reinstalling same plugs ). Now my question is which manual should I follow. It's not a big deal if I need a tourque wrench I just need to wait untill my neighbor gets home, if I don't as the Owners manual states I can put the new plugs in now. I'm leaning towards Owners manuel. Thanks

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
How calibrated is your hand? A cold engine is a must, no cheating, you WILL be sorry.
Start the plugs, and do several turns by hand, use a rachet until it seats the gasket. (you'll feel it, if not don't bother trying it, take it some where). Some say back it off a little and reseat to 13 pounds, some say it is fine to seat it right then at 13 pounds. If you have any doubt at all, use a tourque wrench. I just go by feel and it seems to work.
Best advice though in an "official" publication is a tourque wrench. Remember it is aluminum, and steel threads will do a number on the heads quickly if you overtighten or attempt this with a warm engine.

Wait for the neighbor. You asked, so that means you should.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I don't know of any reason to put used plugs back into a goldwing. I do as the manual says, seat to crush the washer, back-off, then thighten with a torque wrench and I also use a little anti-seize. I change em every 16,000 miles (as the manual recommends).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one is talking about putting old plugs in, the question was in regards to the owners and service manuals they both state two different things.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Looks like Honda is just giving two ways to tighten plugs, one when you have a torque wrench and one when you don't.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Honda did not make a mistake. The owners manual included with your bike addresses installing new spark plugs for the first time only. Then they give you a torque option of rotation or a setting force using a torque wrench. They also give a rotation for re-installing a maintained plug
The maintenance Manuel is a Honda accessory. In the spark plug section, it only addresses how to install a used or maintained plug. The maintenance Manuel does not address how to seat a new plug.
You may install a new plug to 13 FT/LBS and get lucky. You may also be one of those that is not as fortunate and cause major damage if the non-seated spark plug loosens and blows out. Oil around a plug prior to removal usually indicates damage from an unseated spark plug install :cry:.
Follow the owners manual that came with your bike. It agrees with the spark plug manufactures for 14 MM straight threads in an aluminum head :thumbup:.
The engine should be stone cold when plugs are removed and new plugs are installed. Always clean around a plug with compressed air prior to removal. If you do not have a compressor, use a canned air from an auto store or even Radio Shack.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3331220&postcount=86

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Here is what my service manual says and it will work just fine.

You are correct on the new plugs :thumbup:. I would be careful with the 3/4 turn for the NGK plugs. I reduced that to 5/8 of a rotation as the force trying to get to 3/4 seemed scary in the Aluminum head. It is possible that NGK has re-designed the sealing washer on their plug after Honda published the owners manual :shrug:'
I use a 5" long 5/8" plug socket. I screw the plug in with the socket by hand until contact with the seat. I then mark the top of the socket with a Sharpie felt marker. I can then see the rotation point just after 1/2 rotation and stop. I wipe the mark off the socket with rubbing alcohol and move to the next plug and repeat.
I called NGK on the phone and was told there is no reason to loosen a new plug and re-torque to 13 LBS.
I still do it Honda's way and re-torque to 13 FT/LBS (1/8 rotation) after seating the first time as you posted though :bow:.

·
Registered
338 Posts
WELL! After installing plugs in various engines over the last 55 years, from scooters, motorcycles, cars, trucks, pressure washers, weed eaters, chainsaws, lawnmowers, boats, and airplane engines, I have never used a torque wrench and have never stripped a thread or had a plug come loose. Maybe I'm just lucky. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
I have been on search for about an hour and didn't find a specific answer to a question in regards to spark plug installation just different opinions which is a good thing. Anyway, my question is in installing new plugs the Owners manual states to hand tight untill plug seats, then tighten 3/4 turn then loosen and retight 1/8 turn and your done The Honda service manual states to tourque to 13 ft lbs ( not sure if it's talking about new plugs or reinstalling same plugs ). Now my question is which manual should I follow. It's not a big deal if I need a tourque wrench I just need to wait untill my neighbor gets home, if I don't as the Owners manual states I can put the new plugs in now. I'm leaning towards Owners manuel. Thanks
Both are correct but written for a different audiance. One for a service tech and one for an owner doing his own maintance. Many owners will not have an torque wrench.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts