GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you have ridden through both Mt. Rainier Nat Park and the North Cascades Park, which would you recommend as the best scenic ride?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Both, two different experiences. A little more traffic at Rainier.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The distances between the two areas are not so great that you (generally) have to choose one over the other.
Both are beautiful rides. The Cascade Loop is one of my all-time favorites.

Reactions: thekid

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Add a day and do both. While you're there, don't forget to ride the Canadian Rockies and see Lk Louise.

Reactions: thekid

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you can only do one, the Cascade loop. Rt 20 to Rt 97 and then back on Rt 2. Go into Wenatchee for food and gas. Not sure when you are planning on going, but Rt. 20 can be closed this time of year due to snow. They do not plow the middle section in the winter. With all the snow we have had in the west this year, it could be June before they get it open. Check before you go unless it is in the middle of summer.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
..........but if you HAD to choose just one of them, which would it be??
Probably Hwy 20 as I just rode Rainier this last summer. Really weather would be my main deciding factor when I got close.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Rainier is beautiful. The North Cascade Loop would be my choice, with a nice day trip into Leavenworth. The loop around the Olympic Peninsula with a day in the Olympic National Park would be a great ride as well. Plenty of little crab shacks and ocean views to be had, and the scenery in the Olympic rain forest is like nothing you'll see anywhere.

Reactions: thekid and CAWing

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Definitely check on the weather and road closures as it's still snowing up there Like somebody posted it could be June before all those roads open up. Enjoy!

·
Registered
456 Posts
The loop is a good ride but traffic on hwy 2 can be a real chore. I like doing hwy 20 both ways with lunch in Winthrop or Mazama. Should be open pretty soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For the best scenic ride Mt Rainier would be my pick. The ride up to Paradise is a must see. If you decide to make the trip Packwood has a place voted best hamburger in Washington state. Cliff droppers on highway 12. 5 miles away at Ohanapecosh national park. There is a fantastic hike to silver falls to give ones buns a well deserved 3 mike break.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I'll vouch for that! Cliff Droppers is absolutely awesome.

Reactions: CAWing
1 - 12 of 12 Posts