GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time my wife and I rode two up for 2 weeks was 20 years ago. Does anyone have a link to a site that describes 1) what to bring 2) location of such items and a list of handy tools. We probably wont try to camp on this trip. Maybe we will down the road when we get a trailer.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
If I recall Fred Harmon had a post a couple years ago about how he packs for extended two up trips. He doesn't pull a trailer although I believe he uses a PakitRak. I will try to find it.

Dan

·
Registered
543 Posts
packing for two-up trip

Before the wife bought us a trailer, she would pack the worn out under garments for us rolled up and when we changed clothes in the morning, the day before under garments went in the trash. Instant extra room and I got new underwear when we got home.
we would also hang a bag from each helmet holder lined with a plastic bag and stow the rain gear in them, quick to get at if needed.

Billy:thumbup:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Lmao , funny . Leaving out in morning about 4 am .Girlfriend got here this evening with her suitcase , and I made her dump it get rid of extra stuff , and get it into a softsided bag ,so everything would fit .:lol:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My wife,Dixie, gets the right hand saddle bag for her stuff ... it must fit in without putting too much pressure on the door and weigh twenty pounds or less. We always wear helmets, gloves, boots, jackets so those don't fit into the bike. I get the left hand saddlebag for tools (four pounds) http://soliddesign.net/~tom/toolkit.JPG , first aid kit, and my clothes. Top box is for laptop, small cooler(six pack size), cameras, maps, and other shared items. Rain gear and quilted cold weather jacket liners go on a bag on top of the top box. Simple. We wash out stuff every three or four days. Dixie does laundry while I clean the bike. Two pair of jeans each are enough ... polyester "wicking" shirts are great they wash out in the sink and dry overnight.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Here's how we do it: We each get a side bag for clothing. The trunk is for common items like cameras, toiletries, etc. The rack bag on the trunk is for rain gear and bike half cover. I pack enough clothing to last a week ad we stop and do laundry. We do pull a camper so have the advantage of taking a few extra things. If you pack for a week you are packed for a month. :coffee1: Fred

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
One set of clothing is worn...two are packed. Wash clothing on day 3 as you put on your last clean stuff.

As another said, certain types of fabric can be washed out at night and be dry by morning, so skivies, socks and shirts can be washed nightly. Really want to do it right? Invest in some LD Comfort gear for riding gear exclusively.

I've been traveling for work recently...amazing how my motorcycle trip packing skills have come in handy when getting ready for these trips. :D. A week of gear and an extra pair of shoes in a carry on bag.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Similar to Fred, my wife and I each get a side box. Trunk is for common items, camera and laptop. On the 08 we had a bag on the trunk rack for weather gear but decided against that for the 12. Before this summer's trip I am going to install a vertical receiver hitch and use a cooler rack with a bag. We use space saver vacuum bags for our clothes. You put the stuff in the bag then roll it up to push the air out. We can fit a week's worth of clothes and still have room for a pair of shoes and assorted other stuff in the side boxes that way. Do laundry every four or five days and we're good to go.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rule 1;
bring 1/2 the stuff and twice the cash.

i keep a bag at home for tee shirts and underwear and sox that are getting old. When I go on a trip I happily leave dirty underwear along the way freeing up valuable space. We are talking 30+ states and 2 countries. :lol:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Lay everything you think you will need for the trip out on the bed. Then go over it again and remove at least half. Next lay out all the money you think you will need, then double it and you should be fine....

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
For me, as a regular size guy (hey no fat jokes)...I use the wick away style underwear, socks and shirts. They are quite inexspensive and readily available. Most stores carry that line of clothing. It can be worn and washed and worn the next day, If need be. The biggest factor is that it takes up a lot LESS room in the bag. Guys stuff is just bigger JMHO! Utilizing this type of clothing has been a God Send for me & the misses. :thumbup:
The 1st week though ...as others have mentioned, I do take at least a few pair of (last go around) socks, tshirts and undies to toss out those 1st few days. It helps get rid of those socks that have a hole, shirts you may have worn in the garage and got some grease on and then finally the dreaded underwear that the elastic is gone out of. Instead of leaving them in your drawers for anothe year, take them with you and toss them out the 1st week Your probably going to buy the obligitory TShirts on your vacation anyway? Just sayin':lol:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
DO NOT BUY A TRAILER!

you will find it next to impossible to ever use saddlebags again for anything more than a trip to the corner store. My wife and I just did a week in New Zealand and we had twice as much as we needed and this was after culling twice. It was tough. :eek:4:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I use to pack the bike for long trips. Then I bought a trailer and have been damn glad I did. No more worries about not bringing enough or having to chose what to take over something else that you "might need". The extra expense is VERY well worth it.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: and if you get a pop up you get to sleep in your own bed

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
We spent two months on our coast to coast meandering (no interstates) trip and I don't even have a trunk rack.

I have towed a trailer a few times coast to coast but MUCH prefer the pure two wheel motorcycle experience over towing a trailer.

We left in April so we wore the cold weather gear (no place to stow it) but then on the return leg in June we mailed the cold weather gear home
(except for the Gerbing liners.. keep them no matter what)

Theoretically, she gets a bag you get a bag and the bike and common stuff get the trunk
reality is, she gets a bag and 7/8's of the trunk and you get a half bag to share with the bike stuff ;-)

Except for jeans (three pair total) we tossed t-shirts and underware and bought new
(first time you spend $12 or more for wash in dry in hotel you'll agree it's nearly the same cost).

You can buy and toss A LOT of clothes for MUCH LESS than what a trailer is going to cost you.

I tie wrap some tools to the bike sub frame to save space in the bags.
I remove the big foam insert in that flap between the seat and the passenger back rest and stuff a lightweight bike cover in it's place..
.. makes no difference in comfort or appearance and saves a football size bag space from having to go in the saddlebags or trunk.

it's a bike trip.. enjoy it as such..
.. you can get all dressed up and purty when you get back home..

Dennis

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's how we do it: We each get a side bag for clothing. The trunk is for common items like cameras, toiletries, etc. The rack bag on the trunk is for rain gear and bike half cover. I pack enough clothing to last a week ad we stop and do laundry. We do pull a camper so have the advantage of taking a few extra things. If you pack for a week you are packed for a month. :coffee1: Fred
This is basically the same set up we use.. Wife takes the right trunk, I take the left. I picked up some canvas duffle bags from a local canvas tent company (one for each of us). I gave the wife hers and said if it fits in the bag it goes. Top box is the common space for first aid kit, tire repair kit, electronics, tablets, cameras etc.. I also picked up a Kuryakyn rack roll bag for rain gear and snacks. This system has worked well for up to 5 days but a little extra room on the long trips has pushed me into a trailer. For 3-4 day trips I don't see needing the trailer, but after seeing the convenience of a trailer when traveling with my sister and her husband it didn't take much to twist my arm.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cgent that sounds like good time management cleaning the bike while she does the laundry. I will have to adopt that idea. Better than both of us sitting around waiting on laundry.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
If you only take one trip...........ever.
.. some truth in that.

My one "trip" started in 1967 and half a million miles and more than 25 coast to coast rides since then I'm still on it..
..t-shirts and undies ain't the expensive part.

Trailering is OK and I've towed a few long distance but I prefer two wheels..
..do what you like.

Dennis

·
Registered
999 Posts
I use to pack the bike for long trips. Then I bought a trailer and have been damn glad I did. No more worries about not bringing enough or having to chose what to take over something else that you "might need". The extra expense is VERY well worth it.
What he said... With a trailer we can pack all my wife's necessities and I get to pack an extra pair of socks....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts