GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know were to find a bag like the PACKIT RAK bag??//?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Bag

Try Nelson Riggs

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question... Are you asking for Just the Bag and Rain Cover? or are you looking for the whole shebang (Bag Rain Cover, Subframe mount, receiver, and Tray)????

The whole thing can be ordered direct from DixonY or Hal.

Just the bag - try Nelson Riggs.

There are no commercially available substitutes - several folks have made their own.

HTH.

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you are making a carrier you might try making the carrier to accept a regular saddlebag from a salvage yard, lockable and waterproof.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry should have stated, looking for just a bag, similiar to packit bag

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
nelson riggs makes the pak it bag

but of course its not waterproof

nelson also makes the weekender series, which is waterproof

i have one of those

you can hold it under water, and it still doesnt leak

·
15 year Member
6,868 Posts

i have one of those

you plan on being "underwater" in the near future?? PLEASE have someone take some pictures!! Promise me??

LOL

Matt(BCNV) :a13::yes::yes::a13:

·
Registered
429 Posts
H20

i have one of those

It is always comforting to know that if you drive the GL into a lake that your luggage will be dry when they fish it out.
:wrong:

·
Registered
442 Posts
That Nelson Rigg "1000" is the bag used by Pak-it-Rak as everyone said. It comes with a rain fly and a lock. It also has the loops sewn on the bottom that the security bar on the Pak-It-Rak uses. I made my own Rak and use the rain fly regardless of weather just to keep the bag a little cleaner.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So with this bag on a rack in my trailer hitch ,do i need turn downs on my 2003 wing ??

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
So with this bag on a rack in my trailer hitch ,do i need turn downs on my 2003 wing ??
Not with a stock exhaust and a Pakit Rak. OEM exhaust only exits through the bottom hole of the three hole outlet (2005 an older anyway) and the Pakit Rak is designed to sit just above this line.

After market exhaust may release exhast from the entire circumfrance of the exhaust pipe and heat up the Pakit Rak, I went with the Turndown model from TorqMaster Exhaust for this reason...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't think you need the turn-downs since the exaust hole is in the bottom side of the stock ends. I just happen to like them. Fred H. has a picture of his setup without turn-downs. I know a few others who don't have the turn-downs and no problems. My setup actually sets above the exaust line and below the license plate on a aluminum plate fastened on top of a Rivco cooler rack. A constant direct blast from the exaust might be a different story, especially on the nylon fly.

The light bar does have signal lights and was an after thought after I saw a friend with one. I made this one with LEDs and they plug into my trailer hitch but they are available from a few manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
If you are buying a bag seperately from a Pakit-Rak, here is something to think abou:

If you want side pockets so you can organize things, the Nelson-Riggs (same as Pakit-Rak) bag is really well-made. However, if you don't need the 'organizing' feature, I'd look for a slightly larger bag without side pockets. That way, you get more useful space in a bag that has the same overall dimensions. I wouldn't mind having that extra 4-5 inches in width for the main compartment. If I ever have to replace the origianl Pakit-Rak bag, I will definitely look for such a bag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts