GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Packit Rak a while back that works with a trailer hitch but can't find a lock that will fit it anyone have any luck finding one?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
My receiver mount rack was made in our shop and used the pin from the hitch, I drilled a slightly larger hole in the pin and put a smaller padalock on it. Is that what you are trying to do?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I bought a Packit Rak a while back that works with a trailer hitch but can't find a lock that will fit it anyone have any luck finding one?
The Pakit Rack has the standard 1/2" hitch pin hole. You can find 1/2" locking (or not locking) hitch pins at just about any automotive store. If a 1/2" pin wont fit, then you dont have a Pakit Rack. I use a normal non-locking pin, as it's a lot easier to remove and replace the rack in a dark motel parking lot.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Are you looking for a lock for the L-bracket drop on the hitch or a lock to attach the Pakit Rak platform to the L-bracket?

When I purchased my Pakit Rak 4 years ago now, the L-bracket that attaches to the vertical hitch had standard 1/2" hole that I could use a 1/2" locking pin on.

The Pakit Rak platform (and lower mating hole of the L-bracket) however were a smidge smaller than 1/2" (I don't remember how much smaller but a 1/2" locking pin would not fit). The rack came with a spring locked pin but I wanted to lock that platform to the L-bracket which was locked to the hitch. So I just chucked in a 1/2" bit into my DP and drilled out the platform and mating L-bracket holes to 1/2". I now have 2 pin locks for the Pakit Rak. One locks the L-bracket to the hitch and the other locks the platform to the L-bracket. Works great!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Brian,

That isn't accurate. My Pakit Rak platform used a spring pin that was smaller than 1/2". I couldn't get a 1/2" locking pin in the platform/L-bracket holes. I had to drill it out (maybe 1/32-1/16") to 1/2" to use a 1/2" pin. Now I purchased my Pakit Rak 4 years ago so perhaps Pakit Rak now drills that hole to a 1/2" size but it wasn't clear if the OP purchased a new Pakit Rak or not.

... If a 1/2" pin wont fit, then you dont have a Pakit Rack....

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
That isn't accurate. My Pakit Rak platform used a spring pin that was smaller than 1/2".
Yes..., you're correct. I was thinking about the hitch pin that holds the "L" bracket/receiver into the hitch itself. I forgot that the spring pin that comes with the rack is different. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That looks interesting. After using my 1/2" barrel locks on my Pakit Rak for over 40k miles, I've noticed that the lower lock (attaching the platform to the L-bracket) gets VERY dirty from road debris. And I have a mud flap on my bike too. The upper lock (attaching L-bracket to verticle hitch) gets hardly any dirt at all. It's amazing the difference of debris that the two locks experience and they are only a few inches apart in height.

I would strongly recommend that any lock you use on the platform-to-L-bracket attachment point have a cover to protect the locking mechanism.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts