GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Packit Rak on my 2008 Goldwing and loved it. Now with my new 2018 I am wanting to add the same type system. It appears I can add the Rivco hitch with the Packit Rak basket and bag for about the same price as the all Packit Rak system.
With the Rivco hitch I can carry more weight in bag than the all Packit Rak system. I will never have a trailer so is this over kill? Does require more labor with the Rivco hitch. Does anyone have this setup?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I Have The Exact Setup

I have the exact setup you are talking about. I installed the Pakit Rak on a Rivco hitch on my 2004 GW and then installed the Rivco hitch and Pakit Rak on the 2018 Tour.

The wife and I took a 12 day trip to Nova Scotia June 2018 and had plenty of room on the 2018 with the Pakit Rak. I think it is well worth the expense.

I also pull a trailer with the Rivco hitch, so it pulls (pun intended) double duty.

If you need more intel, send me a PM and we'll get together.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the exact setup you are talking about. I installed the Pakit Rak on a Rivco hitch on my 2004 GW and then installed the Rivco hitch and Pakit Rak on the 2018 Tour.

The wife and I took a 12 day trip to Nova Scotia June 2018 and had plenty of room on the 2018 with the Pakit Rak. I think it is well worth the expense.

I also pull a trailer with the Rivco hitch, so it pulls (pun intended) double duty.

If you need more intel, send me a PM and we'll get together.
I'm leaning with the Rivco hitch and Packit Rak bag and basket. The Packit Rak system is $619.23 and the other way is $697.23 but I will have a hitch that if I choose in the future I can tow a trailer.
For the $78 more I can pack a little more weight. With the Packit Rak hitch they recommend no more than 25# including bag.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
I have the RIVCO hitch(for a trailer) and use the PACIT RAK off my old 2010. You need an adapter. Very happy with it. I added a LED stop light.(my design)

project 3.jpg

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
You may be right

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was thinking of this set up but am concerned with the height. I live in NE PA and we only have two ways here, up or down. My drive way is some what steep and I think I might drag the rack as I exit onto the street. Any one in the same type landscape and using this type system? Can anyone give me a measurement from the ground to the bottom of the rack and some type of measurement from a point on the bike to the back end of the rack.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was thinking of this set up but am concerned with the height. I live in NE PA and we only have two ways here, up or down. My drive way is some what steep and I think I might drag the rack as I exit onto the street. Any one in the same type landscape and using this type system? Can anyone give me a measurement from the ground to the bottom of the rack and some type of measurement from a point on the bike to the back end of the rack.
This is on the center stand, wife isn't here to help measure. That u shaped section under the fender is 11.5 inches. At the back it is 15 inches. From the bottom of the license plate straight out to the back edge of the platform is 14.75 inches.

This is with the standard Pakit hitch, not the rivco.

Edit: Did some measuring and I am pretty confident that it is 2 inch's or a bit less off the center stand.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Two Questions as this concept is new to me.
Does this effect the handling of the bike weight and balance wise ?
Does the exhaust expel ok with out effecting the passenger ?
Thank you

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got a Rivco hitch on my '18 'Wing. I've looked around and can't find this info anywhere ... what sort of weight (either from a Pakit or as tongue weight) can the hitch handle? I have a Uni-Go trailer, but have considered also getting a Pakit for times I need to take less crap with me.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Two Questions as this concept is new to me.
Does this effect the handling of the bike weight and balance wise ?
Does the exhaust expel ok with out effecting the passenger ?
Thank you
I did 4k with it back there 2 up. No real change in handling, certainly while braking you know there is more weight but no big deal.

It does not change exhaust flow at all.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've got a Rivco hitch on my '18 'Wing. I've looked around and can't find this info anywhere ... what sort of weight (either from a Pakit or as tongue weight) can the hitch handle? I have a Uni-Go trailer, but have considered also getting a Pakit for times I need to take less crap with me.
It will handle the tongue weight of your hitch which I believe is 60 pounds on that hitch. That info is on PackIts website on their FAQ page. Not giving you a hard time, just naming my source.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
I re-did my 18 wing PakIt Rak hitch - Rivco with a new adapter that PakIt Rak has. I flipped the adapter
Can you get the rear tire out while on the center stand with the Rivo still on there? That is why I am considering switching.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
I have not tried yet. I have probably another 3K on my tires

1 - 20 of 35 Posts