GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a PackitRack and installed it. As some have complained there is no locking pin to hold the rack to the hitch extension. At a local bike store I bought a locking pin of the right diameter made by Thule. It's too long but I can add a nut that will snug it up against the hitch. It's pricey but it will work.

My question really is about weight. The directions say 25lbs. I assume that means including the rack, bag and hitch extension. Altogether those weigh 10lbs leaving a 15lbs payload. I regularly have a 35lb hitch weight when I tow my trailer so it seems I could go for a bit higher payload. Any experience? I'm a hefty guy so the front end never feels light with the trailer.

Larry

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
You are correct if you are using a frame mounted hitch. If you are using the mounting brackets that come with it without a trailer hitch that is different.

The Pakit Rak brackets mount to the saddle bag sub frames and are not meant to carry much weight in addition to whatever is in your saddlebags.

Since your using a frame mounted hitch you can put a little more weight on it safely.........but don't over do it.

Someone correct me if this isn't completely accurate..........

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Even with the trailer hitch mount, you are still subjected to the weld strength of the 90 degrees hollow square tube adapter that Pack-it-Rack supplies with their rack for trailer hitch mounts. How strong is that adapter? No one really knows.

I have a Pack-it-Rack and a trailer hitch and am also concerned about its strength.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use this rule of thumb, I make sure the bag when packed doesn't go over 25 lbs and I don't worry about the weight of the platform and hitch bar. I'm using a Bushtec hitch. I never had a problem. Bill

·
Registered
316 Posts
Even with the trailer hitch mount, you are still subjected to the weld strength of the 90 degrees hollow square tube adapter that Pack-it-Rack supplies with their rack for trailer hitch mounts. How strong is that adapter? No one really knows.

I have a Pack-it-Rack and a trailer hitch and am also concerned about its strength.

I am maybe wrong but many hitch aren't designed to carry a lot more than what the pakit rack is supposed to support.

For what I've seen many hitch transfer the weight on the tongue to the saddle back frame like the P.R, while the attachment on the frame is for pulling purpose only, that doesn't make the hitch more capable of holding weight.

BTW I am not saying that they are all like that , but that what I've noticed by looking some of the picture avail.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am maybe wrong but many hitch aren't designed to carry a lot more than what the pakit rack is supposed to support.

For what I've seen many hitch transfer the weight on the tongue to the saddle back frame like the P.R, while the attachment on the frame is for pulling purpose only, that doesn't make the hitch more capable of holding weight.

BTW I am not saying that they are all like that , but that what I've noticed by looking some of the picture avail.
This is probably the case with mine. I have the vertical hitch sold by WingStuff and it attaches to the frame at the front but at the rear attaches to the sub frame. I think that I will keep the loaded bag to 15-20lbs.

Larry

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have the Pakit Rack set up with their hitch. I always weight the bag and contents before a trip. Keep the weight 25# or less and you will NEVER have a problem. It's a great system.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have the Pakit Rack set up with their hitch. I always weight the bag and contents before a trip. Keep the weight 25# or less and you will NEVER have a problem. It's a great system.
Just to clear things up a little - I hope - the manufacturer says to limit the bag and contents to 25 lbs. combined weight.

It's pretty easy to stay within this weight restriction, and stiil utilize the full volume of the bag, thus getting the most from the added capacity it provides Just move anything that puts you over the limit in the bag to a saddlebag or the trunk, and move something lighter from a saddlebag or the trunk to the PakitRak bag.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I have a Pakit Rak for 3 years now. Trailer hitch was put on bike when I bought it new. Don't know what MFG the hitch is. We just load it up and never worry about weight. Just have clothes in it usually. Never had a problem. Ignorance is bliss!! I just bought regular hitch pins at Wally World and drilled out the Pakit Rak holes so they would fit. Only had to take a tad off. I doubt it weakened it at all. I've traveled some rough roads and hit many pot holes and the bracket is like new.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Not really. The Bushtec hitch is designed to handle a tongue weight of 75 lbs. The Dauntless is 80 lbs.

Go by the manual's recommendations. There are other reasons that can limit load weight other than the hitch.

Keep in mind that the weight on a rack extends out well beyond the end of the hitch receiver. This creates a fulcrum effect that multiplies the weight that is placed on the hitch. You don't have this effect with a trailer because there is a back tire that eliminates the fulcrum effect.

Max tongue weight and max rack weight are not the same thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use this rule of thumb, I make sure the bag when packed doesn't go over 25 lbs and I don't worry about the weight of the platform and hitch bar. I'm using a Bushtec hitch. I never had a problem. Bill
:agree:
I just got back from a Four Corners Tour and I pretty much used the same rule of thumb. No issues, even on some roads (and I use that term loosely here as the "road" had been stripped down to bare earth) that were very bumpy/rough. The only complaint I have is that I successfully rubbed a hole through the rain/dust cover and I'll have to order a new one (and perhaps the cooler that they sell as well.)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have the packit rack as well and love the convenience. For some reason it seems there is never enough room on my bike for all my junk. I also have a trailer but sometimes the packit rack is all I really need.

So far I haven't really weighed the stuff I put on it. I've been tempted though to stand on it to see how strong it is, but fear the consequences if it doesn't support my 250 pounds. :shock: I usually just put a small duffle bag on it or a small ice chest. Seems to be okay.

As far as the locking pin goes, I personally am not too worried that someone will take it. For years when I rode my Harley, I never lock my helmet. Now I am so used to having the locks on my GW that it is what I do all the time. If the GW didn't have the locking helmet features, again, I probably would not lock them up as I think very few people have an interest in stealing them. I may be naive, but I don't really think many people are out to take the packit racks. JMO

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
As far as the locking pin goes, I personally am not too worried that someone will take it. For years when I rode my Harley, I never lock my helmet. Now I am so used to having the locks on my GW that it is what I do all the time. If the GW didn't have the locking helmet features, again, I probably would not lock them up as I think very few people have an interest in stealing them. I may be naive, but I don't really think many people are out to take the packit racks. JMO
+1....don't lock mine either.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+1....don't lock mine either.

Well, I know some have never had a problem but I did have a helmet stolen some years ago and now I never leave anything unlocked and easy to take when I park the bike. This includes locking hitch pins and coupler locks for the trailer. I hate being this way but there it is.

Anyway, here is the Thule lock that I used. It's too long as you can see but I will put a couple of nuts on the threaded part to snug it up against the bar.

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-snug-tite-2-lock.asp?item_type=2

Larry

·
Registered
597 Posts
In my nearly 50 years of cycling, I have never had a helmet stolen from my bike. I did find that some one had cut the chin strap and left my helmet on the ground. Another time I came out to find some one had dumped a milkshake into my helmet.

Joe in Modesto

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Well, I know some have never had a problem but I did have a helmet stolen some years ago and now I never leave anything unlocked and easy to take when I park the bike. This includes locking hitch pins and coupler locks for the trailer. I hate being this way but there it is.

Anyway, here is the Thule lock that I used. It's too long as you can see but I will put a couple of nuts on the threaded part to snug it up against the bar.

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-snug-tite-2-lock.asp?item_type=2 Larry

Wow, Larry, you don't mess around! That looks like the Mul-t-lock for pins! Hehe!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my nearly 50 years of cycling, I have never had a helmet stolen from my bike. I did find that some one had cut the chin strap and left my helmet on the ground. Another time I came out to find some one had dumped a milkshake into my helmet.

Joe in Modesto

Actually the helmet was stolen right off the bike while I was in a gas station bathroom. This was right up the road from you in Escalon of all places, a small town that I believe used to hold the record for the most churches per capita. Go figure.

Larry

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a Bushtec V.2 hitch which I believe is good for 45 lbs. Pakit Rak recommends 25 lbs. using their set up and 45 lbs. with a trailer hitch setup. I agree with others and keep my Pakit Rak to 25 lbs to be safe.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I just bought a PackitRack and installed it. As some have complained there is no locking pin to hold the rack to the hitch extension. At a local bike store I bought a locking pin of the right diameter made by Thule. It's too long but I can add a nut that will snug it up against the hitch. It's pricey but it will work.

My question really is about weight. The directions say 25lbs. I assume that means including the rack, bag and hitch extension. Altogether those weigh 10lbs leaving a 15lbs payload. I regularly have a 35lb hitch weight when I tow my trailer so it seems I could go for a bit higher payload. Any experience? I'm a hefty guy so the front end never feels light with the trailer.

Larry
To answer your question, if you use a trailer hitch, the payload capacity of the Pakit Rak is 45 lbs on the platform. Pakit Rak recommends that no more than that be placed on the platform so have at it up to that point.

The 25lbs limit is for the sub-frame mount (not a trailer hitch mount). You can disregard that limit since you are NOT using the Pakit Rak sub-frame mount.

I've run 44lbs on the platform. Hanging 44 lbs off the back and that far aft of the rear axle does increase the load on the rear wheel so due keep that in mind. I took 5.5 turns of preload out of my front shocks with my rear Traxxion preload at 25 to level out the ride (and gain some more weight on the front) to get rid of some high speed wandering I was getting above 90mph.

And for all you out there who want to complain about how I'm blocking the license plate, this should help calm you down.

A laminated photo of the plate with rivets at each corner for easy attachment. Road back there with zero damage over 8k miles of riding. :thumbup:

Oh and yes that is a Venture with a Pakit Rak on it. My riding buddy saw how superior the Pakit Rak system was to his mesh wire platform setup that he changed over to the Pakit Rak. His platform has an LED bar for his brake/run/turn lights since the bike's lights are totally obscured by the Pakit Rak. The LED bar came as part of his order right from the maker of Pakit Rak.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts