GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a million of these posts with answers spread out everywhere and Im sure everyone is getting sick of them. for those that have the system working, would you mind answering these questions as sort of a Packtalk Bold connection for dummies. Trying to get all the info in one thread. I appreciate it guys and sorry!

1-Pairing Packtalk Bold Rider(Rider headset) to Packtalk Bold Passenger(Passenger headset)- Should the pairing mode be in Mesh or Bluetooth?

2-Rider Phone Connection-should the phone be paired to the Rider headset via Bluetooth or only connected via an iphone cable?

3-If you are connecting rider phone to rider headset via Bluetooth, do you turn off the phone's Bluetooth when connecting via the iphone cable?

4-If pairing Rider phone to Rider headset, do you use phone channel 1 or 2?

5-If pairing Passenger phone to Passenger headset, do you use phone Channel 1 or 2?

6-Pairing Rider headset to bike : do you use the GPS channel of the headset or one of the phone channels? If using the phone channels, Ch1 or Ch2?

7-Pairing Passenger headset to bike : do you use the GPS channel of the headset or one of the phone channels? If so, Ch1 or Ch2?

8-Are you using the default settings in the software? If not, what did you change?

9-To initiate conversation with your passenger: do you press a button or just speak? If a button, which button?

10-To return to music after the conversation, do you press a button or just wait? If a button, which button? Will wind noise keep the intercom open and prevent the music returning automatically?

11-While listening to music, will saying, "Hey Cardo" initiate intercom conversation with the passenger?

12-Where is your microphone placement? In front of your mouth or to the side near the cheek pad?

13-Do you use the Cardo phone app to initiate any intercom or music connections while riding?

14-Does it matter which Cardo headset, rider or passenger, you turn on first when connecting to the bike?

15-Is this the sequence we all agree on? -Turn off BT in Rider's phone
-Turn on Rider headset and Passenger headset and let them recognize each other
-Turn on Bike and let both headsets appear on the dash
-Connect phone to bike with iphone cable

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
#1, MESH!!!

#2, depends on the phone.

#3, I have an Android and paired it via BT.

#4, #5, #6 and #7, not all phones have a "channel".

#7, I did not pair the passenger headset with the bike. She doesn't want to listen to the same music I listen to, or the GPS directions.

#8, default.

#9, just speak AS LONG AS your Packtalk came on and told you it was in "Intercom Mode".

#10, music automatically comes back on. No action needed. A lot of wind noise can keep the mic open. Haven't had it happen with the Cardo like it did with Sena.

#11, Don't know. No need to talk to Cardo if you are already in "Intercom Mode".

#12, I put the mic in front of my mouth.

#13, no.

#14, no.

#15, sometimes I turn the bike on, then the headset. Other times I turn the headset on first, then the bike. Connection still happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So this is what I do
Head set paired to the bike one rider one passenger
My iphone connected via the cable ( carplay won't go bluetooth on the bike )
I don't know how much of this is new to you
Turn off the bike and set up the mesh connection on the head sets
When its time for a ride turn on the head sets and they will hook up automatically
Turn on the bike and the head sets will connect to the bike as well After the initial set up
After that plug the iphone in and follow the prompts on the dash
Once the head sets are paired you can talk without any button pressing and listen to music at the same time

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this is what I do
Head set paired to the bike one rider one passenger gps or phone channel?
My iphone connected via the cable ( carplay won't go bluetooth on the bike )
I don't know how much of this is new to you
Turn off the bike and set up the mesh connection on the head sets
When its time for a ride turn on the head sets and they will hook up automatically
Turn on the bike and the head sets will connect to the bike as well After the initial set up
After that plug the iphone in and follow the prompts on the dash
Once the head sets are paired you can talk without any button pressing and listen to music at the same time
do you have to press a button for the music to come back on after talking?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
#1, MESH!!!

#2, depends on the phone. iphone

#3, I have an Android and paired it via BT.

#4, #5, #6 and #7, not all phones have a "channel". The packtalk bold has different channels. phone 1. phone 2, gps

#7, I did not pair the passenger headset with the bike. She doesn't want to listen to the same music I listen to, or the GPS directions.

#8, default.

#9, just speak AS LONG AS your Packtalk came on and told you it was in "Intercom Mode". at start up?

#10, music automatically comes back on. No action needed. A lot of wind noise can keep the mic open. Haven't had it happen with the Cardo like it did with Sena.

#11, Don't know. No need to talk to Cardo if you are already in "Intercom Mode".

#12, I put the mic in front of my mouth.

#13, no.

#14, no.

#15, sometimes I turn the bike on, then the headset. Other times I turn the headset on first, then the bike. Connection still happens.

thanks for taking the time. is the bike paired onto a phone channel or the gps channel on the headset?

·
Registered
376 Posts
do you have to press a button for the music to come back on after talking?
Nope. The music reduces in volume when you talk and comes back to its original level when you stop talking.

Remember that any "air noise" from an open mic in a windstream can be interpreted as "talking" and will cause the music levels to go down until the Packtalk Bold adjusts for the wind noise. The Bold is really good about figuring out there is wind noise and taking it out after a bit, so be patient until it kicks in if you have the noise.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
thanks for taking the time. is the bike paired onto a phone channel or the gps channel on the headset?
I don't remember, but it must be a phone channel. Whenever the headset connects to the bike, Cardo says "Phone Connected". It can't be connected to my Android, because I didn't pair the phone and headset.

And to your other question of when Cardo says "Intercom Mode", yes it says that when I turn on the Cardo, whether or not the bike or the other headset is on.

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
24 Posts
#6. I used GPS (page 7 of manual) to connect headset to bike. I could then listen to bike radio/USB. That is all I know so far. Next, deal with Carplay, which will also display some third part apps (Google Maps, Waze).

·
Registered
142 Posts
With my set the rider/pax are connected by mesh intercomm and my headset is bluetoothed to the bike. Iphone 10 usb cable to the bike. When I am riding by myself everything works normal ie. music, phone. However, when my wife is with me the intercomm works normal but I do not get any music from any source. I can make phone calls though. Dont know why this is.
Other problem we are having is I get a lot of wind noise from her headset when we are on the wing, but when she rides her own bike I get no noise.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
With my set the rider/pax are connected by mesh intercomm and my headset is bluetoothed to the bike. Iphone 10 usb cable to the bike. When I am riding by myself everything works normal ie. music, phone. However, when my wife is with me the intercomm works normal but I do not get any music from any source. I can make phone calls though. Dont know why this is.
Other problem we are having is I get a lot of wind noise from her headset when we are on the wing, but when she rides her own bike I get no noise.
This issue is what Im trying to straighten out. is your wife's headset paired to the bike? via the gps channel or a phone channel? if phone, which one? 1 or 2?

My wife's mic gets a lot of wind noise as well. Im thinking it was leaving the intercom open and not allowing the music to kick back in after we stopped talking. im going to place her mic closer to the cheek pad, out of the way to see if that will work.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Her headset is only paired to mine via mesh, not to the bike.
The strange part about the wind noise is we only get it riding the wing, when she is on her own bike is works perfect. Tried moving her mike in various places as well as settings on the vox, nothing helps..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Her headset is only paired to mine via mesh, not to the bike.
The strange part about the wind noise is we only get it riding the wing, when she is on her own bike is works perfect. Tried moving her mike in various places as well as settings on the vox, nothing helps..
experienced this on our last ride. she had to ride with her visor down. her sensitivity setting was set to medium. somoen suggested a balloon on the mic and then the foam cover may help. have you found a solution?

·
Registered
198 Posts
This issue is what Im trying to straighten out. is your wife's headset paired to the bike? via the gps channel or a phone channel? if phone, which one? 1 or 2?

My wife's mic gets a lot of wind noise as well. Im thinking it was leaving the intercom open and not allowing the music to kick back in after we stopped talking. im going to place her mic closer to the cheek pad, out of the way to see if that will work.
We get a lot of wind noise from time to time using the mesh intercom connection. We rode today and used bluetooth for our intercom. Zero wind noise. The difference between the mesh and BT intercom is the mesh is noise or voice activated. In order to activate the BT intercom you have to push the intercom button on either unit to activate and deactivate. Plus I read somewhere that the BT intercom uses less battery. I love using the BT intercom. The mesh intercom was a PITA to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts