GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to replace pads on my 03 and have heard that care should be taken when moving the pistons. I heard that one should never try to move the fluid back to the master reservoir but rather to open the bleeders. Is this correct? . Or is there something I should be doing? Thanks. :D

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Unless you've added brake fluid to the system since your pads were new, there is no harm in pushing the fluid back into the master cylinder by pushing the pucks back into the calipers. If you have added fluid, then, depending how much, there is the possibility that the master cylinder will overflow from the excess. In that case, bleed off the excess thru the bleeder valves.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Smitty said:
Unless you've added brake fluid to the system since your pads were new, there is no harm in pushing the fluid back into the master cylinder by pushing the pucks back into the calipers. If you have added fluid, then, depending how much, there is the possibility that the master cylinder will overflow from the excess. In that case, bleed off the excess thru the bleeder valves.
This is solid advice and also what Fred the GL 1800 guru recommends. 8) Terry

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Being you are changing the pads, what about the fluid? I think the recommended interval is about every two years, and if you have not changed it, now would be a good time, and eliminating the chance of putting some fluid on the paint.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
wingnut1 said:
...I heard that one should never try to move the fluid back to the master reservoir but rather to open the bleeders. Is this correct?
You might want to read the service manual, page 15-A-12, FRONT BRAKE PAD REPLACEMENT: "Push the caliper piston all the way in to allow installation of the new brake pads..." The same statement is made for the rear pads as well.

A side note is made to the effect "Check the brake fluid level in the brake reservoirs as this operation causes the level to rise."

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what I was looking for. Thanks to all, now I feel better and yes the fluid will be changed front/rear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I changed mine about a month ago. had no problems w/ the front I cleaned the piston real good prior to pushing the piston in using the old pads. I also sucked all the old brake fluid out of the res prior to pushing in the pistons. the back brakes gave me a problem (I did not have a book) I finially relized that the rear calibor was a two pice and held to gether w/ 3 bolts. I really need to get a book.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I guess that I assumed that everyone knew my 03 has ABS. What was I thinking? Is there any special things to do as with pushing pistons back to make room for the new pads in regards to the abs system? :? :biker:

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
wingnut1 said:
Well, I guess that I assumed that everyone knew my 03 has ABS. What was I thinking? Is there any special things to do as with pushing pistons back to make room for the new pads in regards to the abs system? :? :biker:
Nope!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts