GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, Honda has made a change in their paint between the 2002 year model & the 2008 year model, that I know of....I have dropped things while working on my 2002 with no paint damage...but the paint on my 2008 will scuff if you brush up against it...I was told by a painter friend that the difference was the lead content in the clear coat, due to "EPA" rules...

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
It could also be that the paint was improperly mixed or applied. I have had no such problem with my 2010. The paint quality seems to be the same as it was on my 03 and 05 of the same color.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
They did remove the lead in the paints . What weve noticed at the body shop I work at is its less tolerant to U.V. rays, as in fades faster and clearcoat may oxidize quicker here in the sometime state. Chipping has not been an issue.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a 2013 (black) with 3,000 miles on it that is all swirl marked and scratched up. I have no experience with the older Honda paint but I can tell you that this one stage paint with no clear coat is horrible! My brand new bike is getting painted next month with a professional paint job and CLEAR COAT! Shame on you Honda!!!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have a 2013 (black) with 3,000 miles on it that is all swirl marked and scratched up. I have no experience with the older Honda paint but I can tell you that this one stage paint with no clear coat is horrible! My brand new bike is getting painted next month with a professional paint job and CLEAR COAT! Shame on you Honda!!!
Ive read post on the F6B paint...another animal. Make sure your shop of choice uses a high solids clear coat.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
PPG 2021 high solids clear for mine.

Attachments

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
If you never wash the bike it won't show the swirls and scratches

·
Registered
115 Posts
Speaking of diffrent paint on the diffrent years, is there a thread or does anyone have the info on what years match? My '10 titanium is a lot darker that some of the older bikes and it would be nice to know when buying used parts.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have an 06 and the paint is soft. The change is the new hi solids paint, that's why I covered my bike with the venture shield product. They make a plastic film laser cut to fit a gold wing that I got on before I swirled it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Speaking of diffrent paint on the diffrent years, is there a thread or does anyone have the info on what years match? My '10 titanium is a lot darker that some of the older bikes and it would be nice to know when buying used parts.
Flip up the gas-hole door; there is a sticker there with the paint name and color code on it! :thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
At some point in 2008, Honda started robotic painting on GL1800s. Prior to that, they where all sprayed by hand.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At some point in 2008, Honda started robotic painting on GL1800s. Prior to that, they where all sprayed by hand.
Interesting, when I took the factory tour at Marysville, Oh. in 1998, I didn't see anyone painting by hand, all the painting was done in an enclosed paint area by robots :shrug:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
What difference does it make if it was painted by hand or Robo as pertains to swirls

·
Registered
31 Posts
My understanding was they changed all the paint operations when they left Marysville. My 05 still looks as good as it did the day it came off the showroom floor...not a mark anywhere. I looked into trading up to a 2014 and even the salesman said the paint on my 05 looked better than their new 14 on the floor. Also :nojoke:F6B paint is terrible... soft and no clear. They claim the hope was for the paint to harden enough to protect the finish before the units were sold...that never happened... BAD HONDA...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Paint code

I have a 2004 Kelly magenta and the paint code under the gas door is not the color of the bike. I have had two paint shops try and match it using the Honda # and both gave up. The solution was to paint the whole bike. I wanted a spoiler but gave up as I couldn't match the paint.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Lead was removed from paint a long time ago, the recent changes were to reduce the volatile organic compound emissions from chemicals like paint, dry cleaning fluids etc.

·
Registered
314 Posts
PPG 2021 high solids clear for mine.
Are there any water based clears and can they be applied over the factory finishes? I have the red F6B and the factory paint comes of when applying any brand of wax.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts