GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best paint for the sears carrier. I used the truck bed liner paint. Would not stick. I also used the paint for plastic. Would not stick. Help :?:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hay Rider, have you sanded down the carrier before trying to paint it? I sanded mine down and primed it then painted it. Mo problems with the paint sticking. I had Sherwin Williams bring out their color match gun out and shoot my bike and they mached it perfectly. Hope this helps.

Tom

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just went on to see any information about building my own trailer just like that.
What type of paint did you use (type. latex, oil enamel etc.) And what grade of sandpaper did you use. And id you use any coating over the paint.
Could you give me any tips on building a pull behind with a carrier type of trailer. I want to make one for our next trip out west. Did a 3 week through the Carolina's this past summer and we ended up sending 2 packages of clothes by way of UPS back home. Don't want to be too restricted next trip. And don't want to spend 2,000.00 plus on a trailer.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I haven't done a flame test to be sure, but I think that the Sears carrier is made of HDPE. If that is the case, no paint will really stick to it in it's natural state. However, you can flame treat it and then shoot it and you can have pretty good results. You can use a propane torch to treat it by setting a hard flame and moving the tip of the flame cone about 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the surface at about 1 foot per second. Obviously the carrier will now have a stripped look to it, but that should go away with the paint job. You can shoot it with enamel, or I believe a basecoat/clearcoat.

Goldwing Rider said:
What is the best paint for the sears carrier. I used the truck bed liner paint. Would not stick. I also used the paint for plastic. Would not stick. Help :?:

·
Registered
270 Posts
biglefti said:
I haven't done a flame test to be sure, but I think that the Sears carrier is made of HDPE. If that is the case, no paint will really stick to it in it's natural state. However, you can flame treat it and then shoot it and you can have pretty good results. You can use a propane torch to treat it by setting a hard flame and moving the tip of the flame cone about 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the surface at about 1 foot per second. Obviously the carrier will now have a stripped look to it, but that should go away with the paint job. You can shoot it with enamel, or I believe a basecoat/clearcoat.

Goldwing Rider said:
You have got to be kidding me!

Krylon Fusion works.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Not kidding, plastics has been my whole life, well at least 35 years of it. Try pressure washing your paint job, then get back to me<G>! But per chance that your paint does stick, your sears carrier has probably been in the sun a good bit. That will cause some surface degrading which will also allow the paint to stick.

cwoods said:
biglefti said:

Goldwing Rider said:
You have got to be kidding me!

Krylon Fusion works.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I got this off the sears site

***20 cu. ft. capacity carrier mounts only to approved, factory-installed and aftermarket roof racks rated at 150 lbs. or more. Completely assembled with quick release hardware included.***

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... Cookie=Yes

When you mentioned that the sun may have got to it, it made me think of what if you used a liguid deglosser made for taking the shine off paint before repainting, or maybe some other type of spirits to take down the surface a bit.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Generally, polyethylene is pretty much non-reactive to most chemicals. It does react to detergent and temperature. In fact that is how we would discover molded in stresses. It does degrade with UV exsposure, however, most pieces designed for use outdoors have strong uv packages. Generally these are added via the color concentrate. By the way, I have a HF/Sears cartop trailer and if I ever paint it, I will flame treat it using a propane torch. I believe in practicing what you preach<G>!

schiel1 said:
I got this off the sears site

***20 cu. ft. capacity carrier mounts only to approved, factory-installed and aftermarket roof racks rated at 150 lbs. or more. Completely assembled with quick release hardware included.***

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... Cookie=Yes

When you mentioned that the sun may have got to it, it made me think of what if you used a liguid deglosser made for taking the shine off paint before repainting, or maybe some other type of spirits to take down the surface a bit.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You can also electrostatically treat it, but it is recommended that it be painted within 24 hours. It also might be hard to find someone with that large of a unit. We use to use that method when printing frisbees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts