GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has painted their meter panel and what process/procedures did you do? I don't feel like buying one that costs a small fortune. Rather do it myself, but not sure if you can just paint it or have to sand it, etc....

·
Registered
924 Posts
Here is someone who did it (not me although my bike is the same color) --

Reactions: White_Wing04

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is someone who did it (not me although my bike is the same color) --

Yeah, I did see that video, but he just kind of skipped around a bit. Was more curious to see if there was a specific grit of sandpaper used, or he used machinery to do it because I can see it sanded and know he used Colorrite to match. Thanks for the help, and I know there is just specific paint for plastic, so I assume you would need to sand it down anyway in order to take even 1 coat of paint.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I painted mine with textured truck bed spray on paint. Turned out pretty good and still looks good after 5 years.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was recently quoted $245 Canadian to prep, paint and clearcoat my meter panel. I am going to have a go myself once the stores re open so I can get a close match of the paint colour (Flared Red) and the other products I will need.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It's already been primed and painted at the factory. 600/1000 grit wet sand lightly to remove wax/etc and apply this coats of paint and clear coat.
No "special plastic paint" needed or should be used. Colorite would be fine as would autobody types.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's already been primed and painted at the factory. 600/1000 grit wet sand lightly to remove wax/etc and apply this coats of paint and clear coat.
No "special plastic paint" needed or should be used. Colorite would be fine as would autobody types.
Unfortunately the area around the ignition switch has damaged paint caused by a 2nd key or key fob of a previous owner so I am going to need to sand and primer. Color Rite is expensive and shipping to Canada is a hassle and expensive.
I am going to try and get a decent match for the Honda Flared Red in Dupli Colour at the local store, when the restrictions get lifted and I can go in the store !

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Unfortunately the area around the ignition switch has damaged paint caused by a 2nd key or key fob of a previous owner so I am going to need to sand and primer. Color Rite is expensive and shipping to Canada is a hassle and expensive.
I am going to try and get a decent match for the Honda Flared Red in Dupli Colour at the local store, when the restrictions get lifted and I can go in the store !
Some years ago one of the local auto parts stores would scan/match auto body paint (since you have the paint code they should have the formula) and put "real" auto body paint in a generic aresol spray can. It was good stuff and a great nozzle system. Did some hood touch-up on an old Suburban. Worked good.
Perhaps search around to see if any parts stores that sell auto paint does that also.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info. I did check Colorrite and they have a full kit with sandpaper, clearcoat and paint, but you also have to get a base as well for the Black Cherry color - so it would be a full $113 for the process to paint it. Will look into the other options though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You could have it done by Wing Bling out of Florida. Mike does excellent work. You can find him on the book of faces. I'm betting it wont be much more than what you are paying for supplies.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would suggest you wipe down the whole thing with wax and grease remover BEFORE you sand papaer it, wet or dry.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
If you do WingBling I hope hes gotten better at his delivery times. I purchased a nav dash from him some years ago in July. I received it in October. He had nothing to say about why it took so long. That soured me on purchasing more from him.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you do WingBling I hope hes gotten better at his delivery times. I purchased a nav dash from him some years ago in July. I received it in October. He had nothing to say about why it took so long. That soured me on purchasing more from him.
You mean in the middle of summer while Wing Ding and every other rally is going on? I cant imagine why it took at little while. Its not like a motorcycle vendor would be busy during those months. :sneaky:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, can' afford the trip to FL, or send off to have done. Living in TX, half or more of any trip is getting out of my State..LOL..
It's my daily driver no matter the weather so I figure a good weekend to get it done right.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
You mean in the middle of summer while Wing Ding and every other rally is going on? I cant imagine why it took at little while. Its not like a motorcycle vendor would be busy during those months. :sneaky:
He was only the salesman at the time he had his wife and another crew doing the work. If you want to blame Wing Ding and other venues for his issues go ahead all it shows to me as to how long it took for me and a few other friends to get our parts is that he doesnt know how to run his business. Six weeks maybe 2 months but I orderd the dash the 1st week of July,I received it at the end of October basically at the end of riding season. And to top it off one of the speaker grills the carbon fiber coloring pattern didnt follow the dash pattern like the other side. I wouldnt do business again with him.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You can go back and forth about any service business for hours, but WingBling painted my meter panel and got it back to me within 3 weeks last year about this time when covid had the delivery services nearly at a standstill. He was supposed to be in quarantine at the time.
He did the panel and the key area, not the speaker grills which I already had in a contrasting color. I think it was a little over $200 plus shipping back to me.
Nice job, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts