GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for input on paying for the installation of XPEL Ultimate Pro on the Tour model. I have the kit and am debating on attempting to do the install or paying a company.

Can anyone share what their cost was for the Job and what the Labor portion only was if available? I appreciate any responses.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have had another vehicle done in XPEL but not the bike. I did go down and have an estimate for the bike and it was over 1k for the entire bike. Contact your local installer and see if they will even use the kit you provide them as they may require you to use the material they provide. You can purchase the kit and do it yourself but there are few things you don't get by doing it yourself with a kit.

First, you won't have a 10 year warrantee. I had a small area come loose on the vette and I just stopped by the shop and they replaced it and I was on my way at no cost. The second thing (and most important IMHO) is that if you go to a good shop, they will cut the pieces in-house and apply them. This is important as they will cut them large enough to wrap the edges so you have a nice clean install over doing it yourself and having edge lines all over the place. Doing partial coverage on panels might save you some money but they don't look very good...again JMHO. A good shop will clay bar the bike and prep it so the final product will look it's best. I may just order the dash screen and do that part myself. There is not a lot of "front area" on the bike you need to worry about as far as paint goes. While it makes it easier to do a quick spray detail, I am going to skip doing the overall bike.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I stopped at 3 shops. Each one was concerned about the curves. They all said they'd have to cut the film, such as on the saddlebag lid and the front corners of the fairing. That means there is a possibility of slicing into the paint.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
2019 GL1800
73 Posts
As mentioned I had mine wrapped yesterday. This shop would only install 3M products which fortunately I had purchased. They did an excellent job preparing and installing it. Whatever magic they do to remove scratches was amazing. I wish I had done it sooner and it was worth the money for the experts to do it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I bought the full Xpel Ultimate kit from TankSlapper for about $130 USD. My local installer did it for $350 CDN. It looks amazing! It’s a no brainer to have this on the new bike. Don’t waste money on waxes & polishes as they will NOT protect your soft paint from scratches! I know . . .

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have installed the display, cubby lid, gas cap cover lid, area that surrounds those two lids, headlight, and front fender. I am very particular about things, probably more than about 90% of most. I would say that if you have a professional furnish and install the product for $750 or less on a Tour then jump at the offer. It is a pain in the rear due to all of the compound curves as stated above. If I was to do it over again I would probably take it to a shop after I did my own paint correction and get a quote for the supplies and install.

I am mostly happy with my results but it takes a lot of patience and time. It took me an hour to do the front fender alone due to the shape.

·
Registered
557 Posts
pics please

I bought the full Xpel Ultimate kit from TankSlapper for about $130 USD. My local installer did it for $350 CDN. It looks amazing! It’s a no brainer to have this on the new bike. Don’t waste money on waxes & polishes as they will NOT protect your soft paint from scratches! I know . . .
Would love to see some pics of this if you have some. Thanks

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive done the shelter sides and trunk lid now and have the front side fairings and rear saddlebags left. The front fairing above the headlight was a huge problem. I should have stopped before starting that. Had I done it the morning I would have trimmed the shape some and made it easier. Long story short the multiple compound angles proved too difficult for me and it ended up being tossed due to my impatience and tiredness last night.

I too would like to see photos of what a professional install looks like up close.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed the TANKSLAPPER kit with the 3m PRO film, it isn't "perfect" but it's not that hard to do. Just don't start with a large piece that is visible until you get the hand of how it lays down. I started with the TRUNK piece and ruined it ($40 bucks extra)....but if you watch a few videos and follow the directions you'll be fine.

My TIPS:

ONLY Use Johnson AND JOHNSON shampoo (several forums stressed this!)

Wet your hands down before touching the pieces...it will make it easier to handle and keep the oil in your fingers/prints from getting under the film.

Really look for left over fiber from wash mitts and specks of dirt before you lay down the film and work as CLEAN as possible.

Use more lubrication than you think you need. it doesn't hurt and add more on the outside as you lay down the adhesive/squeegee out the water.

Use a rubber squeegee and a microfiber towel. The towel for the edges and to "smush" down any air pockets.

Start in the middle and work your way out to the edges before you LAY DOWN the actual edge, which you should do last. i.e. don't stick the edge of the film down until you've got it perfect. leave a 1/4" plus and if you think you need to re-stick it, pull it up and wet it back down, etc. THE VERY LAST THING is the Edge and you can "Flick" the squeegee around corners and edges sharp and fast to get the last few bubbles. Then SMASH (push and twist) the microfiber along the edges that are not laying down to wick out the moisture. It will then stick.

Find a diabetic needle/syringe. You use that to get any stuck in water pockets to release by moving all the water to ONE bubble if possible in an area and pierce the film to get the film to lay down. AIR POCKETS and small WATER BUBBLES will go away and you can use the microfiber to stick down the pocket later if needed.

Most other imperfections will ease up after some heat cycles in the sun. You can do it yourself. If you demand perfection try a shop, but I doubt you'll get it. :) The kit works fine.

Let me know if you have questions.

Dan

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Dan. I read all the info from Tankslapper and watched several videos. You highlight most of the info they provided. Did you install the entire kit? I just installed the front side fairing pieces and the tops to the saddlebags. I only have the two pieces that go on the top of the inner saddle bags by the switch plates. Im fairly haply with the way its turned out and hope the sun improves the look as I have read and you stated. I do feel that after installing 90% of the kit it would be much easier if I had to do it again.

I would not recommend someone trying the install unless they are very patient and have plenty of time. Some pieces are easier than others and I needed to trim some pieces. I also had to pull and stretch some to fit the contours like the outer saddle bag door top film.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Would love to see some pics of this if you have some. Thanks
Matt, here are some pics of my bike. The film is so accurately cut & the detailer did an amazing job! You can’t even see the seams, when you zoom in . . . :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My bike is now completely protected with Xpel Ultimate film! I am going to order the rear trunk film from TankSlapper. It is an add on as lots of guys install a trunk rack, so not needed by many. For me, the $350 CDN was cheap for a professsional to cover almost my entire bike! No way could I have done this in the 3 1/2 hrs he took nor come out as perfectly. Installing film is not easy!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks Greg! Looks awesome

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My bike is now completely protected with Xpel Ultimate film!
Those pics have me reconsidering doing it myself. Do you know how many bikes the installer has done? IDK if there is much difference between a bike install and a car install, other than more curves.

I'm going to visit an Xpel installer tomorrow and see what they have to say. Only 1 where I am now. Heading back to central Fla in Oct. A lot more installers down there, but I prefer to get it done sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks very nice. I see the installer had some difficulty with the fender as well. The trunk piece covers the face where the Honda letters go, it does not cover the portion under the rack.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That looks very nice. I see the installer had some difficulty with the fender as well. The trunk piece covers the face where the Honda letters go, it does not cover the portion under the rack.
If you are talking about my bike, the tiny dots (fender) are from rock chips before I had the film put on. I guess I should have touched them up first . . .
:wink2:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Virginiawing, do you have the trunk protection (kit) from TankSlapper? I assumed the protective film is the top portion + the bottom where the Honda logo is, no? Here is my trunk with no film, yet . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Virginiawing, do you have the trunk protection (kit) from TankSlapper? I assumed the protective film is the top portion + the bottom where the Honda logo is, no? Here is my trunk with no film, yet . . .
I thought the spots were from stretching the film for the contour, I have a few water spots there.

Yes I have the XPEL Ultimate from Tankslapper. Its only the rear piece that the Honda logo is on. The attached picture depicts the coverage.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Virginiawing, I wonder why Lucas did not do both? Do 2 separate pieces & leave the curved section blank ( where the Ciro brake light/turn signal accessory sticks onto).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts