GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done anything about paint protection and what did you do? Between my bad back and a touch of the lazy Im not going to be waxing and polishing my wing every weekend before a ride. Ive considered things like F11 but every article and YouTube video seems to be an add or sponsor. Ive found the same with ceramic coating reviews. So... that said what have you done that you recommend?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
First, I had the Ceramic Pro 9H applied & it looks beautiful!! Then I had the Xpel Ultimate gloss film installed it it looks awesome! The two combined looks just amazing & is the most protection you could put on your bike! A sand storm will not hurt my bike, now!! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I applied 3m scotchguard clear paint protectant on the side panels (where my knees rub) and on the top panels (glove box/gas cap areas). This has worked out great, once first applied it shows bubbles but after a few warm days of riding in the sun, it is crystal clear.

3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 6-by-60-inches

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VG8DS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jGt7CbHT85KJS

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Usually every time it rains/I always take out my wax, polishing rag, headphones (listen to Led Zeppelin) and give her a total wax job..... Since retirement life has been wonderful

Ronnie

Reactions: zmilin

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Ziebart

I had this applied to the complete nose area of the bike, the area behind the front wheel at the bottom of the engine, the front fender, where my knees hit, around the gas tank area, the tops and fronts of the side bags. It was a little less than $500.00 bucks plus I promised the guy doing it a case of beer of his choice if he did me a good job. I think he did a great job! Has done a good job so far and you don't mind scrubbing hard to get a bug off.

https://www.ziebart.com/auto-care-services/protective-films/z-shield-paint-protection-film

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have used the Meguiars spray Ceramic wax product also. But I only put one coat on so far. Have washed it a few times and the water beads very well. I sprayed it on a micro fiber towel to apply. A lot easier than regular wax.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the ceramic coating done at a body shop. Cost me $1000 CDN (about $750 US). I'm really pleased with it. I comes with a 7 year warranty and it goes in once a year to be touched up free of charge. It's amazingly easy to clean (even brake dust on the rims just washes off) and rain beads really well off the windshield. I would recommend it.

Tony

·
Registered
616 Posts
I need to get a good wax to use on the Wing. Seems like everyone here uses spray on waxes? Are they as good as an old fashioned rub on wax nowadays?

·
Registered
712 Posts
First, I had the Ceramic Pro 9H applied & it looks beautiful!! Then I had the Xpel Ultimate gloss film installed it it looks awesome! The two combined looks just amazing & is the most protection you could put on your [email protected] A sand storm will not hurt my bike, now!! :grin2:

This stuff looks good, did you do the entire bike, and how did you make the cuts. Watched the one video on the web site, but just a sales pitch, however, did mention 'precise cut'. Can you elaborate on your experience? Thanks. I'm getting way tired of the little road debris paint dings with no way of fixing them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts