GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has been your success on painting the "Sears Cargo Carrier" on your HF frame? Rattle can, brush, and paint type? Comments welcome.

Thanks! :thumbup:
Wingjammer

·
Registered
792 Posts
I went to a local paint supply house and had the colors I wanted mixed in PPG acrylic enamel. The trailer frame and topper were prepped by washing down with a red Scotchbrite pad and degreaser. I sprayed primer with flex additive followed by the color coats, also with flex additive then topped with clear. Did this in '05 and no issues with paint lift. I'm now prepping for repaint to a different color and was advised by the paint supplier that the new color can be applied in normal auto-body fashion without the flex additive.

·
Registered
673 Posts
What has been your success on painting the "Sears Cargo Carrier" on your HF frame? Rattle can, brush, and paint type? Comments welcome.

Thanks! :thumbup:
Wingjammer

your main thing is the raw plastic cargo carrier. you need to spray some sort of plastic adhesion promoter or plastic primer. first before you spray any type of paint. some rattle can paint have it already in .And yes clean it with soap and warm water and a red 3m scotch brite pad is correct.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I painted mine with Krylon Fusion which is made special for painting plastic. After about 4,000 miles it still looks good.
more info in sig line.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I painted mine with Krylon Fusion which is made special for painting plastic. After about 4,000 miles it still looks good.
more info in sig line.

I used Krylon Fusion also since it's made for painting plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts