GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been seeing a lot of advertising on Krylon Fusion spray paint.
Have a black bike and thinking of painting the cowl myself using
this spray paint in gloss black. Anybody have any thoughts on
this, appreciate any help. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Krylon

This is just a FYI, I'm not sure exactly how it will/would relate to exterior work done. Several years ago I used some Krylon gloss to paint some shelves in my home. I wanted them to be gloss white. Turned out looking really nice, only problem was the paint wouldn't dry. I think I waited a month before I finally used paint remover on the shelves and then re-painted them with another brand. Right up to the end they would stick to anything you put on them. Soon as they were repainted they were fine... Only time I've ever tried Krylon brand.

G

·
0 Posts
blackmist said:
Been seeing a lot of advertising on Krylon Fusion spray paint.
Have a black bike and thinking of painting the cowl myself using
this spray paint in gloss black. Anybody have any thoughts on
this, appreciate any help. :)

I've read good things about the Fusion paint in various car forums painting dashboards and plastic door panels. I have no specific info on painting the cowls with this paint however. Frankly I'd like to take mine off and have a body shop paint/match it to my bike. Wouldn't think it would cost that much. Maybe they can spray a protective clear coat over it also

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All
This is kind of off the wall but how about the stuff you can buy for lining your pickup truck liner. It has all the right propreties it might work. It is kind of ugly though.
Ken

·
Registered
58 Posts
Painting Cowl

Hey Blackmist, try your local Honda Automobile Shop. I seem to remember reading somewhere on this board that they could match the paint.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Krylon Fusion paint is awesome stuff.....................

It actually bonds to the plastic to prevent peeling, chipping and dries within 10 minutes.
Haven't used it on the bike but have used it on a cooler and also some plastic lawn furniture...................the results were fantastic...............looks like it's actually colored plastic not sprayed on paint.
I wouldn't hesitate trying this on the cowl but you probably have to get the glossiness (new word!) off of it first and also make sure the surface is really clean.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think you will match the colors very easily. Black or silver may match but not the other colors. Had the cowl and exhaust cover pieces painted on my last wing and the shop had trouble with matching. Cost was around $250.

·
Registered
635 Posts
cowl paint

Mine is painted now. 3 coats of black and 2 clear coats at a body shop, $150. I used a hardware store spray-on a few years ago, it didn't last and never hardend up enough to be durable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Painting the Cowl

I have a 03 Candy Orange. I would love to either paint my cowl or get the chrome replacement cowl.

When I remove the cowl to do maint, it is difficult to clean it up to show condition. For those folks with the chrome cowl, does it clean well? Does the chrome flake off, like I would envision it doing, especially on the bottom side?

Also, any Orange Wings out there with a paint matched Cowl? Would imagine that paint matched cowl would only look good with Light kit installed, correct?

·
Registered
584 Posts
MATCHING PAINT

Hey Guys, what about getting the paint code # from the inside of your gas fill lid? It's a PPG #. Identical match.
Just trying to help.
Steve

·
Registered
73 Posts
I chromed my lower cowl and lower exhaust covers, I just ordered front speaker grills , radio panel ,& handle bar dampers painted by Road Trip Essentials. They also paint the lower cowl and exhaust covers for who ever is interested. I was very impressed w/ the quality of work, but it wasnt cheap.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Brian, I have had the lower chrome cowl & exhaust covers for about a year now. It cleans like new w/ hondaline spray and havent had any problems w/ flaking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts