GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone would be interested in a lower cowl painted to match your bike. Just a thought I had. What would be a fair price to ask for these? Good idea or bad idea? I thought it might look good and be different. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bill - I think they look extremely sharp and I have often thought of having my spare front cowl (I bought a chrome one) painted to match my illusion red 1800. I see that if I want to buy one at at least one vendor for my Illusion Red bike it would run $230. to buy, so if I ever do it I'd first check on what it would cost to get my existing stock cowl painted myself (although that too for illusion red might be scary so I may never do that either).

DaleC

P.S. Sure does look good though!! One last thought though would be a curiousity as to how well they hold up over time with the abuse the cowl takes to road debris kicked up and hitting it ????

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had my front cowl and both lower cowls painted to match my bike. Put them back on today. I have only got to look at it in my garage,but I think that I will like it. Got all painted for $85.00.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lowers and cowl painting.

I was very interested in doing the paint on these parts to match my bike which is candy red. The true PPG paint that the factory uses is VERY expensive. One quart of base, color and clear coat is $215.00. I dont know how someone could paint the right color for 85.00. Sure hope it matches the other paint. If I could get it done for that I would.
Try to get some pics posted when you get a chance.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Paint

I've had mine painted for a couple years now. Holding up real well. I did put a piece of headlight armor I got from Allen Smith at Tulsa on the front cowl in line with the front tire.

(This pic may not work. I think the provider has taken down the ability to remote link.)

Jerry

·
Registered
258 Posts
One quart of base, color and clear coat is $215.00. I dont know how someone could paint the right color for 85.00.
You sure don't need a quart of paint to do your lower cowl. I used a quart to paint a trailer, 2 cowls, 2 sets of saddlebag/trunk trim and 2 sets of exhaust covers.

I have colormatched lower cowls and exhaust covers on all 3 of my wings so far.

BTW: Gravity feed sprayers use less paint and have less over spray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts