GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where's the best place to buy paint for my new trailer? what quantity will be required? can the honda motorcycle paint codes be cross referenced to car paint codes? there's a PPG auto paint store closeby but he can't use my bike's paint code to make it. are there internet sites that specialize in this stuff and, if so, who has given good srevice and product? thanks

H

·
0 Posts
I just went to a local autobody supply store. To get a color match paint to my bike was expensive, so we just picked a sample from their huge book of colors. Not close enough to paint a panel on the bike, but it's a close match for a trailer. See avatar.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Go to a large automotive crash repair paint store. They will have a camera to shoot one of the side panels. This system will provide excellent results mostof the time. Some candy and illusion paints are harder to match.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
us paint in mo. works great
yeah, i was just looking there. seems like prices are a lot better than colorite. i take it you've used it. did you need a clearcoat with it? are you happy with your results? thanks

·
Registered
487 Posts
SofaDriver,
I painted my Yamaha Venture Royale 1987 with PPG and used StratoClear DCU 2082 Clear. The Base Coat was "Make you Blush" 908334 DBC Vibrance Crystal Pearl.
Guns are Sata Mini jet 3 and Mini jet 4. One for Base and the other for Clear Coat... Wide open Fan at 29 psi at the Gun.. Wet sanded with 1000 and 1500 Grit after it was Dry (next Day) Then Buffed with light Buff compound with Air driven machine. I have not used the other Paint that you speak of, however they ask you to use their product. I was told by a Napa Paint Guy that you can use any ClearCoat on a water base Base Coat ( Which mine was not) So that kinda makes me think that maybe any clear coat will work with any Base :shrug: Would like to try it sometime and would if I had the product available from US Paint.. The Clear That Honda uses is soft and the PPG Strato Clear with three Coat is very nice when Buffed out. It was painted in 2006 and when I uncover it sitting next to the Wing I always admire them together.. Damn they look GREAT! Ask Your PPG Dealer About the US paint compatablity and your Clear Selection. I would hate to see (Someone :cry: ) Run Short of Clear and have to order more from US Paint... My PPG Dealer is just about a mile away up Town so it's easy for me if I run out of a product...Also have always used Grey Expoxy primer under the Base Coat for Secure Adhesion... Don't be concerned about the Flex Additives.. Not needed in my opinion.. Good Luck with your Project... AND POST PICTURES when your finished.
David, HondaMortch... Got questions PM me. If I can help I will.. OK

·
Registered
368 Posts
Any idea on how much paint to get for a allum trailer. It would be just the
2 sides and back panels

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sherwin Williams

Sherwin Williams matched our '06 Titanium so close when they layed the paint chip on the trike fender you could not see the paint chip. I also understand they are much less expensive than ColorRite.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I did a DFT trike conversion and used US Paint. It was a perfect match and we get compliments on it all the time. As to how much you'll need, there is some information on their website where you can figure out about how much is needed.
http://www.uspaint.com/honda/
If you select the order form and find your color, it will give a product number. Then you can look up the Application Guide for that product, then you can figure out the amounts needed. Most of the Honda colors are a 3-part system, which is a bit pricey, but the results will be a perfect match to your bike. You definitely want a clear coat to give it that beautiful shine and professional finish. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Instead of paint I went with a vehicle wrap on my Aluma, turned out very nice and I am very pleased. The wrap comes in many colors and cost is about $200/ 225.00. Look in your yellow pages.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Seabee, you mentioned a wrap, do you remember who you used

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used a local company in Elberta, Alabama called Alabama Big Print. If you need any additional info. I can get the phone # for you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you have the paint code? Can you find someone locally with a color camera? Believe it or not these often are more reliable than the paint code if calibrated properly. If you can get me the formula I'll get you the paint in your choice of DuPont, Sherwin or PPG. No cost. :thumbup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been working on getting my trailer painted to match my 08 Wing for the last 2 weeks. Initially I gave the paint shop the paint code for the bike, his supplier-a local CarQuest shop- kept coming up with a brown color for that code.
I took the wing to them, they shot it with their computer and came up with only part of the top coat, could not read a base coat at all. That lead to phone calls, reshoots, more phone calls, more reshoots... Eventually they said they could not match the paint at all.
So I went back to go through their color book, one of the teenagers working behind the counter looked at the panel I took in and in less than 10 seconds said Toyota Sienna has that same color. Looking at the color sample it looked very close. Trailer is supposed to be ready tonight, we will see how close it actually is.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Never Painted a vehicle

Hi, I bought a sprayer, also a air brush. I have a Aluma trailer.
Front, and top are Aluma diamond. Two side panels, and rear panel are black.
I really want to try my hand at it, but i'm not all that tech. It needs not to be perfect, I'm thinking like Earl Schibb or Macco. I'm not trying to match as if factory. Some of the post I've read are very involved and i'm sure they must look factory.

Can anyone recommend a primer and a finish paint?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought I'd update this thread.

I stopped into a small bodyshop close to home just to see what they might be able to do with the paint. They do a lot of work for the local Lexus, Accura and Nissan dealers so they can't be too bad. Turns out the paint guy is a custom car/bike nut and an artiste' at auto paint. He said "no prob" on the match, whipped out a couple paint chip samples, flipped thru them, and said "Oh, yeah, I'll add a little of this and a little bit of that at it will look great. I've only got two cars to shoot today. I can do it this afternoon and you can pick it up in the morning!"

You can imagine my shock at getting anything done that fast these days.

I asked what all would be involved and he said sanding, 2 coats primer/sealer, 2 coats color, 3 coats clear. All with PPG paint. He showed me his mixing area and nice paint booth (the building looks like it's gonna' fall down but the paint booth is A-1 !)

This all sounded great to me so I agreed and left him with my front fender to match color with.

I came in the next day and the trailer looked absolutely awesome!! The paint is as close a match as I can imagine without actually being the ultra expensive Honda 3 part pearl black cherry over black paint. (The best internet price I could find was about $400 for all the required coatings.) It looks so "wet" you want to stick your hand in it! Even in the sun you have to be really close to see the difference.

The price????????????????????

$250 !!!! .............................yeah, I'm STILL laughing about it! I'll post some pics soon.

I'm a happy camper!

·
Registered
487 Posts
RoadSofa,
You should be very Happy with that price for a paint job.
Heck that paint would cost that much or more just for you to go and buy it... REJOICE my friend!
Now we are waiting for pictures
Enjoy your Trailer.. Contact "Quickdraw" in Olympia for any decal work you might think you would like. He did a Decal for a fellow from Walla Walla. Take a look at "Quickdraws " work party thread I think it's posted on there.
David.
Don't forget the Photo.

David
HondaMortch

·
Registered
948 Posts
You did good, Sofadriver! :thumbup: When I got my yellow trike body painted, the paint supplies alone were $500. Can't wait to see your pics.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts